The thread for small questions, version XXI

Stubby

New thread.

Unresolved questions from the last one:

Is it possible to estimate Tyrion's whereabouts at the time of maester Aemon's death? Had he fled KL? Was it prior or after his capture by Jorah?

Thanks

what do you think this war will be called at the end? The war of the five kings seems an inaccurate name for this whole story. Now that there's more then just those five kings, and the white walkers/dragons are going to be part of the war. The War of the Umpteen Kings amidst Ice and Fire?

How can Darkstar be the next sword of the morning if he is of the night?

Have at it!

IIRC Grand Maester Pycelle was relatively young when the Citadel sent him to serve Aerys II at Kings Landing because the previous GMs all died too quickly. Is the serving maester at Kings Landing always the GRAND Maester and is this position determined by the other Archmaesters? Was there a Grand Maester position before Aegon's Conquest and did he serve at the Citadel? What was the job of the maesters pre Aegon specifically in regard to diplomacy between kingdoms?

Do we know Pycelle's origin? This could be somewhat revelatory as to what house he remains loyal to ultimately.

IIRC Grand Maester Pycelle was relatively young when the Citadel sent him to serve Aerys II at Kings Landing because the previous GMs all died too quickly. Is the serving maester at Kings Landing always the GRAND Maester and is this position determined by the other Archmaesters? Was there a Grand Maester position before Aegon's Conquest and did he serve at the Citadel? What was the job of the maesters pre Aegon specifically in regard to diplomacy between kingdoms?

Do we know Pycelle's origin? This could be somewhat revelatory as to what house he remains loyal to ultimately.

This is what the wiki has about him: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Pycelle

We don't know his origins nor what House he is from if he was noble born - because maesters dispose of the name of their House.

The wiki also gives rather a lot of information about the office of grand maester: http://awoiaf.wester...r#Grand_Maester

I just re-read (Ok, I re-listened to) to AFFC prologue, and twice it's stated that Rosey (the girl Pate wants to sleep with) has made the connection between Pate and the Alchemist. Any significance in that?

My understandIng of that is the 'alchemist' studied his options before settling on Pate. I think he observed that not only Pate was 'the weakest link' and therefore the easier to corrupt, but also that he noticed the boy was in love with Rosey. It's just my interpretation, of course. :)

I always assumed that he was a Lannister, or at least that he grew up in the Lannister circle before going to the Citadel.

And this, since the scene when he says that everything he did, he did it for the Lannisters.

There are I think a couple of tales of dragonslayers, but not much info as far as I recall. I'll have to look it up but at the top of my head there's Nimble Dick. Brienne tells him of a local (Tarth) hero who slew a monster with a magic sword. And Nimble Dick tells her how Clarence Crabb (I think it was him) killed a dragon by tying its neck in a knot.

I loved Nimble Dick. :crying:

Brienne's hero also slew a dragon.

AFfC, Brienne

Crabb thought that was hilarious. “The Perfect Knight? The Perfect Fool, he sounds like. What’s the point o’ having some magic sword if you don’t bloody well use it?”

“Honor,” she said. “The point is honor.”

That only made him laugh the louder. “Ser Clarence Crabb would have wiped his hairy arse with your Perfect Knight, m’lady. If they’d ever have met, there’d be one more bloody head sitting on the shelf at the Whispers, you ask me. ‘I should have used the magic sword,’ it’d be saying to all the other heads. ‘I should have used the bloody sword.’”

Brienne could not help but smile. “Perhaps,” she allowed, “but Ser Galladon was no fool. Against a foe eight feet tall mounted on an aurochs, he might well have unsheathed the Just Maid. He used her once to slay a dragon, they say.”

Nimble Dick was unimpressed. “Crackbones fought a dragon too, but he didn’t need no magic sword. He just tied its neck in a knot, so every time it breathed fire it roasted its own arse.”

Cheers, yes, that's the most probable thing.

Another one - Do we have any tales or evidence of real dragonslayers? How in general did dragons use to die - out of old age? Was there a person famous for killing a dragon?

Serwyn of the Mirror Shield

Marwyn the Mage claims in AFFC that the Citadel was responsible for the death of the dragons, rather than traditional dragonslayers.

Thanks again, and I have yet another one :)

How did Ned Stark's father and brother end up at Aeris' court? Were they captured on the battlefield, what was up with that?

No. When Brandon learned Lyanna had been 'kidnapped' by Rhaegar he rode to KL. He goes to the Red Keep and demands Rhaegar 'come out to die'. Aerys has him arrested and calls Rickard Stark (and the fathers of the other guys who were with Brandon) to KL. When Rickard gets there he is arrested. In the end Aerys cooks Rickard in his armour while Brandon strangled himself trying to untie the ropes that were binding him in an attempt to help his father. Mind you, he knew that the more he struggled, the worse. :(

I can't remember the name of Brandon's companions. Maybe someone else can.

No. When Brandon learned Lyanna had been 'kidnapped' by Rhaegar he rode to KL. He goes to the Red Keep and demands Rhaegar 'come out to die'. Aerys has him arrested and calls Rickard Stark (and the fathers of the other guys who were with Brandon) to KL. When Rickard gets there he is arrested. In the end Aerys cooks Rickard in his armour while Brandon strangled himself trying to untie the ropes that were binding him in an attempt to help his father. Mind you, he knew that the more he struggled, the worse. :(

Brandon's companions were: Ethan Glover, Kyle Royce, Elbert Arryn, and Jeffory Mallister. Note that one northerner, two from the Vale and one from the Riverlands. (Which always seems to me part of why these regions rebelled.)

Yes, I know the gruesome details of their deaths, I just didn't know the other details. Thanks again. Ok, was Rhaegar really there, or was he at the ToJ, or maybe on the battlefield already?

Yes, I know the gruesome details of their deaths, I just didn't know the other details. Thanks again. Ok, was Rhaegar really there, or was he at the ToJ, or maybe on the battlefield already?

Rhaegar's whereabouts at the time of the executions is unknown.

The war didn't start until after the execution so Rhaegar wasn't on the battlefield. He was most likely at the ToJ. Maybe Jon could have been conceived while Rickard and Brandon were being executed just like King Arthur was conceived while his mother's husband was killed in battle.

Brandon's companions were: Ethan Glover, Kyle Royce, Elbert Arryn, and Jeffory Mallister. Note that one northerner, two from the Vale and one from the Riverlands. (Which always seems to me part of why these regions rebelled.)

IIRC One was spared, Ethan Glover, Brandon's squire, IIRC. He ended up at T o J with Ned

I have a question.

How do the titles work as far as Lord and Lady go?

For example in the beginning it's obvious that Catlyn is Lady Stark. Would her daughters be referred to as Lady Sansa and Lady Arya? (They would not be Lady Stark, I imagine.) But then when Robb weds his Jeyne would be Lady Stark as he was Lord Stark then. But when Catlyn dies (if Sansa hadn't been married) would Sansa have been called Lady Stark? More importantly when Sansa marries Tyrion, is she Lady Sansa or Lady Lannister? She says they've made her a Lannister, but is Lady Lannister only the Lady of the Lannister house at Casterly Rock (which would have been Joanna before her death.) Am I putting a Victorian spin on this and everyone is simply Lady Lastname or is it the use of the last name with Lady reserved for the Lady of the house. So we see Sansa as Lady Sansa of house Stark and not Lady Stark and then once she marries Lady Sansa of house Lannister? What would her title be?

Archived