119 replies to this topic

#1 Baitac

Baitac

You shush now!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

There are songs that are indelibly attached to events or times in your life. If I hear anything from Frampton Comes Alive, in my mind I immediately go to High School. When I hear Bridge over Troubled Water, I go to the second my oldest son was born as this song was playing (brought the tape, yes tape, to be played for me). There are songs that take you to happy times, and those which take you to that universal breakup and ensuing broken heart. Songs so bittersweet that they make you cry as you remember the one who got away. Songs so good that they take you to the best place you have ever been.

This thread is about you, not about the songs. Hopefully, it will stay in the gen section and not entertainment. If not, so be it.

So anyway, tell us about the songs of your life. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

#2 Sci-2

Sci-2

The 11th Little Indian + SJWarrior/Mage

• Members
  • 19,221 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

This is a great topic. For the longest time, probably until middle of college, my two biggest bands were Toad the Wet Sprocket and Tool.

For a good few years in Philly, buddies of mine got me more into hip-hop/rap.

Love songs? Hmmm, for some reason nothing comes to mind. Jesse's Girl?

Recently a girl got me into Josh Ritter, had some really interesting times talking to her so his music was a big part the last two years or so.

#3 Dracarya

Dracarya

And though she be but little, she is fierce

• Members
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria holds a lot of memories for me, mostly of my first proper relationship.

I also can't hear a Florence and the Machine song without thinking of the bards /wub.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wub:' /> /lol.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

#4 Elder Sister

Elder Sister

I don't like your face. Makes me want to do things to it.

• Members
  • 5,263 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

I have so many songs that are tied to memories and specific events. And it's amazing how you can hear a song and it takes you back to a time in your life, with people who are long gone. It's like a time machine. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

When I was a little girl, my friends and I always went to the skating rink (Every skating rink has the guy who was a great skater, had his own skates, and all the girls had a crush on him. Then you reach 15 or 16 and realize he's a weirdo who hangs out at the skating rink.)

Heart of Glass by Blondie - I was 11 or 12 and remember skating to that.
We are the Champions - Queen

More than a Feeling - Boston. My first boyfriend gave me this album. We broke up but it was an AWESOME album

Bad Company - self titled album - Reminds me of summers on the river skiing and partying. Good times. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I got really sick several years ago and was in the hospital for surgery and treatments. My bf from college sent me some CDs with lots of different music from when we were younger, and it was one of the most thoughtful, special gifts I have ever received. It really lifted my spirits.

#5 Baitac

Baitac

You shush now!

• Members
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

I have so many songs that are tied to memories and specific events. And it's amazing how you can hear a song and it takes you back to a time in your life, with people who are long gone. It's like a time machine. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

When I was a little girl, my friends and I always went to the skating rink (Every skating rink has the guy who was a great skater, had his own skates, and all the girls had a crush on him. Then you reach 15 or 16 and realize he's a weirdo who hangs out at the skating rink.)

More than a Feeling - Boston. My first boyfriend gave me this album. We broke up but it was an AWESOME album

Bad Company - self titled album - Reminds me of summers on the river skiing and partying. Good times. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I got really sick several years ago and was in the hospital for surgery and treatments. My bf from college sent me some CDs with lots of different music from when we were younger, and it was one of the most thoughtful, special gifts I have ever received. It really lifted my spirits.

What a great idea: to send a CD with music from when you were younger. I'll have to remember that one. I hope you are all better now. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
There are songs that remind my songs of skating parties too. Do they even happen anymore?

#6 Elder Sister

Elder Sister

• Members
  • 5,263 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

What a great idea: to send a CD with music from when you were younger. I'll have to remember that one. I hope you are all better now. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
There are songs that remind my songs of skating parties too. Do they even happen anymore?

Thank you - I am much better and doing great. I was getting treated for breast cancer at the time, was depressed, and just in general in a bad place. I got her cds in the mail and started listening to them...it was songs like Run DMC "Tricky" and Motley Crue..there was some ABBA on there - I just laughed and really had a blast listening to them. They totally changed my attitude. And she had them coded for 'before surgery', 'recovery', 'blue day', etc. It was just an amazingly thoughtful gift.

I have no idea if girls do the skating rink anymore...my little girl did, but that was 20 years ago. I hope they do...skating rinks are tons of fun. Remember falling and bouncing right back up??? My cousin used to wear these tight, tight chic jeans to the skating rink and she would fall and it would take 2 or 3 of us to get her back up...she couldn't bend her knees. /biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

#7 Baitac

Baitac

You shush now!

• Members
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

Thank you - I am much better and doing great. I was getting treated for breast cancer at the time, was depressed, and just in general in a bad place. I got her cds in the mail and started listening to them...it was songs like Run DMC "Tricky" and Motley Crue..there was some ABBA on there - I just laughed and really had a blast listening to them. They totally changed my attitude. And she had them coded for 'before surgery', 'recovery', 'blue day', etc. It was just an amazingly thoughtful gift.

I have no idea if girls do the skating rink anymore...my little girl did, but that was 20 years ago. I hope they do...skating rinks are tons of fun. Remember falling and bouncing right back up??? My cousin used to wear these tight, tight chic jeans to the skating rink and she would fall and it would take 2 or 3 of us to get her back up...she couldn't bend her knees. /biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

I am sooo glad you are well now. Breast cancer. That must have been horrible. /sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> Still, the fact that your friend knew what you should listen to before and after surgery or while having a blue day shows how connected she was with you. That is a wonderful thing. Not as wonderful as conquering stupid breast cancer. Happy that nonsense is all over and done with. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

#8 Tears of Lys

Tears of Lys

No crying, only whining

• Members
  • 13,265 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

Glad you're doing well, Elder Sister /love.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':love:' />

Scarborough Fair, Simon & Garfunkle - I'll always associate that with the first boy I ever fell in love with. Such a poignant, sad song.

I Believe in Miracles (where you from, you sexay thang?) - Hot Chocolate - Trips down to Fort Lauderdale to cat around.

Gimme Shelter - Rollings Stones. Was seduced to it. /lol.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> So began 7 years of a relationship based on sex and pot.

Africa, Toto - When my husband and I moved out to Southern California.

and on and on.

Funny how music can take you right back to where you were when you heard a certain song.

#9 Gillio

Gillio

Social Justice worrier

• Members
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

The earliest song I remember singing from the radio was "like a rubber ball i'll come bouncing back to you" no idea now of who it was or the tune.
I had a crush on Davy Jones of the Monkees at 8 or so (still LOVE Daydream Believer) My first album I bought was The Beatles White Album
the pushbike song takes me back to the summer I was 16. When we got married in the early 80's we went to live and work in Karratha in the north west of West Australia. Its a 16 hour drive. so all the albums went onto cassette. Chain "towards the Blues" ALL the beatles and Stones "Tommy" by the who, Hot August Night, so many songs now forever remind me of that drive, we did it twice a year at least for 5 yrs

#10 Baitac

Baitac

You shush now!

• Members
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

Glad you're doing well, Elder Sister /love.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':love:' />

Scarborough Fair, Simon & Garfunkle - I'll always associate that with the first boy I ever fell in love with. Such a poignant, sad song.

I Believe in Miracles (where you from, you sexay thang?) - Hot Chocolate - Trips down to Fort Lauderdale to cat around.

Gimme Shelter - Rollings Stones. Was seduced to it. /lol.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> So began 7 years of a relationship based on sex and pot.

Africa, Toto - When my husband and I moved out to Southern California.

and on and on.

Funny how music can take you right back to where you were when you heard a certain song.

This was so perfect. Thank you for sharing. I love your songs and the stories even more. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

#11 Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov

Council Member

• Members
  • 848 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:42 PM

Tracy Chapman - The Promise. Ahhhh, stupid teenage relationships /love.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':love:' /> .

PS She was a cheating bitch

#12 S John

S John

2012: Ottergeddon

• Members
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:17 AM

Oh man I have tons of these.

I dated a girl for a long time who loved the Talking Heads so the song 'Psycho Killer' always makes me think of her. And, no, not in a dark or violent sort of way that the song title would suggest. /uhoh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':uhoh:' /> I just remember that she liked it.

My cousin Mike is a shorter, bearded, portly gentleman who is a few years older than me. Mike still lives in West Virginia and when I lived back there for a year after college I ended up hanging out with him and his wife pretty often. This dude is HILARIOUS and never at anyone else's expense, he's just so infectiously jolly and fun to be around. He'll do stuff like... disappear at a bar and after a few minutes of wondering where he went you catch a glimpse of him on the complete other side of the bar executing a perfect moonwalk across the dance floor completely by himself. Keep in mind this is a bearded, chubby West Virginian giving MJ a run for his money. And the best thing about him is that he doesn't even do it for anyone else's amusement but his own. He genuinely wanted to go over there and moonwalk and he didn't bother to tell anyone so that we could observe his antics, we just happened to catch sight of it. Anyway, he is known for stuff like this and an absolute blast to go out with. His favorite song is 'Snake Farm' by Ray Wylie Hubbard. That song made it way into my country music playlist and whenever it comes on I think of that time Mike went on a moon-walking sojourn in a shitty roadside bar.

The song that most invokes being a teenager for me is Mx by the Deftones. No particular reason why. I liked it then and I still like it now, but when I listen to it now it definitely reminds me of being about 16 years old.

Had a good friend die in a car accident when I was in high school and even though the accident was after school, none of our friends found out about it until the next morning. I used to arrive at school at around the same time as another friend and he told me as soon as I pulled up and got out of my car. I had been rocking out in there (as usual) and the song was Self Bias Resistor by Fear Factory. I really love that song, but I've associated it with that event ever since. I can't listen to the song without thinking about that.

Stairway to Heaven makes me think of two things - my mom playing air drums in the car, and my friends wedding because the wedding party (I was one of the groomsmen) entered the service to Stairway to Heaven played on a harp. /laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':laugh:' />

I actually have several more but I'm gonna take a break for this Mars rover thing that's about to go down.

#13 A Song of Hound and Wolves

A Song of Hound and Wolves

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:22 AM

This thread is about you, not about the songs. Hopefully, it will stay in the gen section and not entertainment. If not, so be it.

So anyway, tell us about the songs of your life. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I agree with Sci, this is a great topic.

I have posted this before and I don't remember getting an answer, but I still sometimes wonder if Elder Sister isn't, in fact, my elder sister.

More Than a Feeling always reminds me of a friend of mine who died when we were in high school. Her name was Marianne, and I still get choked up at the "see my MaryAnne walking away" line.

What a great idea: to send a CD with music from when you were younger. I'll have to remember that one.

When MP3s became widely available, one of the first things I did was to buy all the songs of my childhood that I could remember. I then made a gigantic set of cds for each of my siblings and gave it to them for Christmas. These were a HUGE hit.

Some of the songs on that cd you might know; others maybe not. "Summertime" by Mongo Jerry, "I Can See for Miles" by The Who, "Elusive Butterfly", "Giant Step" and "Last Train to Clarksville" by The Monkees, "The Night Chicago Died," "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head", "On the Road Again", Billy Don't Be a Hero, several Bread songs, Seasons in the Sun, The Partridge Family singing I Think I Love You.

Also "Playground in My Mind" which I had to search for, because I had no idea what it was called. And Brand New Key, which you younger folks might recognize from the cute commercial. (btw, I had that exact pair of skates growing up). "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo."

Before you all jump on our atrocious musical taste, keep in mind that we were just young kids and we listened to whatever they played at the pool. But alot of these songs I still enjoy because they have such happy memories, which is why I'm posting them here and not over at the Songs You Are Embarrassed to Like.

Shew! that was fun to look those up.

#14 Gillio

Gillio

Social Justice worrier

• Members
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

I agree with Sci, this is a great topic.

I have posted this before and I don't remember getting an answer, but I still sometimes wonder if Elder Sister isn't, in fact, my elder sister.

More Than a Feeling always reminds me of a friend of mine who died when we were in high school. Her name was Marianne, and I still get choked up at the "see my MaryAnne walking away" line.

When MP3s became widely available, one of the first things I did was to buy all the songs of my childhood that I could remember. I then made a gigantic set of cds for each of my siblings and gave it to them for Christmas. These were a HUGE hit.

Some of the songs on that cd you might know; others maybe not. "Summertime" by Mongo Jerry, "I Can See for Miles" by The Who, "Elusive Butterfly", "Giant Step" and "Last Train to Clarksville" by The Monkees, "The Night Chicago Died," "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head", "On the Road Again", Billy Don't Be a Hero, several Bread songs, Seasons in the Sun, The Partridge Family singing I Think I Love You.

Also "Playground in My Mind" which I had to search for, because I had no idea what it was called. And Brand New Key, which you younger folks might recognize from the cute commercial. (btw, I had that exact pair of skates growing up). "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo."

Before you all jump on our atrocious musical taste, keep in mind that we were just young kids and we listened to whatever they played at the pool. But alot of these songs I still enjoy because they have such happy memories, which is why I'm posting them here and not over at the Songs You Are Embarrassed to Like.

Shew! that was fun to look those up.

A lot of memories for me too from those songs.

#15 Elder Sister

Elder Sister

• Members
  • 5,263 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:12 AM

@Song of Hounds and Wolves:

I don't have a sister, but will be glad to adopt one on the board. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I had forgotten about the Partridge Family. I was madly in love with David Cassidy and felt sure that if he only KNEW me, he would love me as well. I think I was 8??? True love, no doubt.

Your gift of music to your siblings is a fantastic idea.

@S John - your cousin sounds like a hoot and a half. I love Ray Wylie Hubbard. If you like him, check out John Prine and Hayes Carll. John Prine's songs never fail to make me smile, but he's got some sad ones, too. I'm also a big fan of Old Crow Medicine Show.

#16 Tears of Lys

Tears of Lys

No crying, only whining

• Members
  • 13,265 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:06 AM

I've got a brother-in-law a lot like the Otter's. He will do the craziest-ass things. I always feel he's missed his calling - he would out-do all those supposed comics in the movies now.

#17 Mikael

Mikael

Coffee, how I love thee!

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

I'm more of an album-type-person, so I associate different albums (and audiobooks) with different parts of my life. Most recent example is having The Roots' - Undun on repeat during every writing session.

Not sure what it says about me that for love making and far driving I've often listened to Leonard Cohen, different albums though.

One song that has never quite gone out of style is California Dreaming, gotta love that autumnal melancholic feeling.

#18 A Song of Hound and Wolves

A Song of Hound and Wolves

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

A lot of memories for me too from those songs.

We can probably get accurate ages for Boarders based on who recognizes those songs.

@Song of Hounds and Wolves:

I don't have a sister, but will be glad to adopt one on the board. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Yay!!! Let's be these kind of sisters /love.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':love:' /> not these kind /box.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':box:' />

I had forgotten about the Partridge Family. I was madly in love with David Cassidy and felt sure that if he only KNEW me, he would love me as well. I think I was 8??? True love, no doubt.

I think we may have been the first Tiger Beat generation. In pretend games, I was "married" to Bobby Sherman because as the youngest girl he was the only heartthrob left, Donny Osmond and David Cassidy were already taken. I got tired of my "real" elder sister telling me that I could be married to the "pretend Donny or pretend David".

I think my adolesence was the last time I liked popular, top 40 kinda music. We spent high school listening to old 60s stuff, very early Pink Floyd, Bowie when he was still "Jones", King Crimson, The Doors.

I wore a black arm patch to school when John Lennon was assassinated. I think more than 1/2 the class didn't know who that was. /sad But the teachers were in solidarity with me.

Later, I went through the Black Flag phase, with alot of college prog rock thrown in.

Hmmm, I've spent quite a few minutes now thinking about my musical tastes. I think Fragile Bird's observation about her use of "Likes" perfectly fits my tastes:

"I used to think my tastes were eclectic, but then I realized they were indiscriminate."

back to Sister:

@S John - your cousin sounds like a hoot and a half. I love Ray Wylie Hubbard. If you like him, check out John Prine and Hayes Carll. John Prine's songs never fail to make me smile, but he's got some sad ones, too. I'm also a big fan of Old Crow Medicine Show.

I enthusiastically second John Prine. Going to go look up Old Crow Medicine Show now.

Edited by A Song of Hound and Wolves, 06 August 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#19 Baitac

Baitac

You shush now!

• Members
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

High School Graduating Class Song:

Mean girls wanted the theme from Mahogany (barf)
Cool people wanted Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Cool people's choice was nixed by administration
In the end, I've Been Searching by Chicago won

Whenever I hear any of the three, I think of the class of '79. Woo hoo. Freebird!!

#20 The girl with curious hair

The girl with curious hair

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:56 AM

The song most imbedded in my psyche is ‘The Circle of Life’ from the Lion King soundtrack. You know, the one starting the whole movie with the searing, morning sun, rising above the African savanna, the animals gathering to celebrate the birth of their future king, Rafiki holding Simba high, towards the sun, showing him to his kingdom. This was the first movie I ever saw in theaters, and I still remember how wonderfully entranced I was by this opening sight. The Lion King has remained my favorite movie due mostly to the soundtrack and nostalgia it holds.

‘I Am the Walrus’ is the song that got me to love the Beatles.

‘Hymn to Freedom’ by the Oscar Peterson Trio. It imbues me with a sense of motivation and hope, so I listen to it whenever I feel disconcerted.

‘Smooth’ by Santana. My sister, my dad, and I would blast this on the stereo in the living room and shake our butts til bedtime. It takes me back to a time when I didn’t have inhibitions about my dance skills.

‘Rhapsody in Blue’ by George Gershwin. My boyfriend has been one of the main motivators in my life and he is obsessed with Gershwin. This song is also very whimsical so I can’t help but smile whenever I hear the clarinet trill at the opening.

‘(Oh) Pretty Woman’ by Van Halen. Van Halen was my mom’s favorite band, and this was her favorite song they did.

Reply to this topic