New GRRM interview

Two Towers

"Not yet"??? That's almost a confirmation that the faceless men will try and kill Danny's Dragons!!! I am in the camp that hopes that they send Arya to do the killing and Arya then kills Danny for calling her father a dog(Usurper's dogs)

I'm not sure how to take that, I mean, George never answers like that, I think he's messing with us, and that answer means "they could, in the future, perhaps, why not"

I don't think he meant THE theory, but some of the more wild and crazy ideas it has spawned. Like the R + L = Hodor (the Ho of the hodor being for Howland), or the H+L=J. There are many more like this to choose from... :hat:

Yes, this was what I was thinking. Although, I see this giving birth to a new breed of high crackpot concepts:

Howland didn't witness the promise, because he was actually Arthur Dayne glamoured as Howland.

The Future of Crackpotery is here.

In the last Jon Snow chapter from ADWD, for the first time there's a temporary ellipsis in the story of events. Is that a deception for the reader?

Oh, I don't think is the first time, I've done it plenty! (laughs) There are a lot of conversations we didn't get to listen (laughs). Anyway, it is uncovered a few minutes later in a more dramatic way. Jon gives this great speech in front of everyone explaining what Tormund and himself had decided: Jon is going to ride South with his army against Bolton's bastard and Tormund will command the bulk of the Night's Watch to Hardhome. That's what they were discussing.

I think this puts an end to theories of people being warged, glamored and whatnot.

I'm not sure how to take that, I mean, George never answers like that, I think he's messing with us, and that answer means "they could, in the future, perhaps, why not"

I think that someone mentioned that Martin was tired when he said that and maybe it was just lapsus linguae ...

"And is it going to be 7 books?

I’m hoping for 7, but I can’t promise anything. Seven is my aim, but I’ve learned how bad I am at estimating."

- This makes me almost certain we will see at least 8.

"And is it going to be 7 books?

I’m hoping for 7, but I can’t promise anything. Seven is my aim, but I’ve learned how bad I am at estimating."

- This makes me almost certain we will see at least 8.

Oh joy I'll read the end with my kids...which I still do not have.

If Dany is the epilogue of A Dream of Spring, she is probably the last person alive

Lolol. But in all seriousness. It has to be bran. If not, I can't see how we will find out how everything plays out with everyone else.

I much prefer the multiple pov style to just continue :(

That's a decent deadline.

It is. But can we actually trust it?

Either way its good to hear that 400 MS pages are written. I wish someone had asked him how much of that is new since Dance has been published and how much of it was brought over from Dance so we could better gauge how much new material he has actually written in the year+ since Dance was published.

I certainly am more suspicious about Jon's plan with Tormund after George's answer.

When he says 'the idea of the sixth book is to bring the two storylines together' is that confirmation that he plans to have dany land in westeros next book?

Here's what we know:

• 'A Feast for Crows' was intended to cover the material that was lost when Martin scrapped the five year gap, but it became too long.
  • Instead of naming the second half 'A Feast for Crows Volume II', he named it 'A Dance with Dragons', a title he had intended to use for the book that followed 'A Storm of Swords'.
  • Martin has confirmed that there will be a second dance of the dragons, which will be the subject of a book. We can infer from this that it was most likely intended to be included in the original 'A Dance with Dragons'.
  • As 'A Dance with Dragons' has now caught up with (or surpassed?) where the five year gap would have left us, we can assume that the second dance of the dragons will take place in 'The Winds of Winter'.
  • For a second dance of the dragons to take place, Daenerys and Aegon would both have to be in Westeros, meaning I doubt we'll be seeing Dany in Essos for longer than is necessary to tie up the loose ends.

All that is just a long-winded way of saying: yes, he plans to have Dany land in Westeros in the next book.

Then proving Jon was Rhaegar's son will be nearly impossible, since Jon looks nothing like a Targaryen.

Has there been a Targaryen that didn't look like a Targaryen?

Yes, more than one. Rhaenerys for starters.

Also, Ned carrying a baby away from his dead sister is a big clue, regardless of whether Howland is actually in the room or not.

Archived