Ned Stark vs. Jamie Lannister

Lion of Judah

Without a doubt, and it's not even close, Jaime. Not to take anything away from Ned, but Jaime was one of the best swordsmen in the seven kingdoms. Though Jaime was put on the sidelines by Aerys during Robert's rebellion he had battle experience (agasint the Brotherhood and Greyjoy's rebellion) and despite getting outmanuvered at Whispering Wood, the text supports his prowess fighting on the battlefield.

Even though it is stated that Ned was not an exceptional sword he did survive the rebellion and tower of joy without known injuries (or am i mistaken?). That should mean something. If you then put Ice in the man's hand....

I always thought the "average swordsman" thing as a bit strange.

In agot, the Starks are my favorite family, Ned is the good guy. Lannisters, boo, hiss, they throw Bran from a window. But, Ned is average swordsmen at best, Jaime one of the best in Westeros - Jaime wins, no contest.

Anyone who doesnt say Jaime are either messing or know nothing whatsoever about the books or the world of ASOIAF

I love Ned but even George has told us that his brother was better then him. Whatever happend at the TOJ it wasnt a 1v1 Ned and Arthur

Barristan says he had never seen anyone with as much raw talent for fighting as Jaime Lannister, before he had his pupil in Meereen.

By AGOT, those who could have had a chance in a straight fight with no poison or trick would probably be the Cleganes, Loras and Garlan Tyrell, Brienne, Barristan and that's about it. Ned would have been slaughtered.

Barristan says he had never seen anyone with as much raw talent for fighting as Jaime Lannister, before he had his pupil in Meereen.

By AGOT, those who could have had a chance in a straight fight with no poison or trick would probably be the Cleganes, Loras and Garlan Tyrell, Brienne, Barristan and that's about it. Ned would have been slaughtered.

Brienne says herself that she wouldn't have had a chance against Jaime if he was at his full strength. Remember, his hands were chained when they fought, in addition to his being weak from having spent months imprisoned. I don't think Loras would have had a chance either, other than in a joust. The Cleganes and Barristan, yes. Garlan Tyrell, I don't think we have enough info.

Anyone who doesnt say Jaime are either messing or know nothing whatsoever about the books or the world of ASOIAF

I love Ned but even George has told us that his brother was better then him. Whatever happend at the TOJ it wasnt a 1v1 Ned and Arthur

But you're disregarding Ice, Ice, baby.

A valyrian sword never meant automatic victory, nor is it able to shatter other swords on contact. It's just lighter and doesn't lose its edge. We got a nice account of Arthur's fight against the smiling knight, and even against dawn, the only thing that happens to the smiling knight's sword is that it gets nicked in the course of the fight.

Brienne says herself that she wouldn't have had a chance against Jaime if he was at his full strength.
Brienne is very insecure, and Jaime thinks for himself that he has never seen such a whirlwind of steel (or something like that). Even if Jaime's hands were chained and he was weak, it still means something: maybe Brienne wouldn't have won so easily (managing to spare her opponent's life, too), but she's up there.

I don't think Loras would have had a chance either, other than in a joust.
Loras slaughtered his colleagues in the Rainbow Guard, when they were actually ready to fend him off, and outnumbering him.

Garlan Tyrell, I don't think we have enough info.
True, but still, he is the guy they chose to pose as Renly, he trains against multiple opponents, he's in the same family as Loras, and everytime we saw him he kicked ass. I think it's reasonable.

By no means an automatic victory but it still gives Ned a counterbalance against Jaime's natural skill. Let's say Ned manages to shatter Jaime's blade as they trade blows. What then? There are always factors to consider in a duel aside from who has the best technique.

By no means an automatic victory but it still gives Ned a counterbalance against Jaime's natural skill. Let's say Ned manages to shatter Jaime's blade as they trade blows. What then? There are always factors to consider in a duel aside from who has the best technique.

I dont think Ned's skill is enough to win that duel, even considering Ice. For Ice to play the deciding factor in a fight like this you would likely have to be closer, if not equal, to Jaime's skill. Ned was imo simply not skilled enough, which is why Jaime would still win. Edit: I think the Smiling Knight was closer to Dayne's skill than Ned was to Jaime's..

Ned won't manage to shatter anything. A sharp sword is only a sharp sword, not some vibro-explosive magical weapon of doom. And anyway, Jaime is faster, that's his speciality, he'll likely kill Ned the same way Forel killed those guards. Or how he killed those Kastark boys, come to to that.

If Arthurs honourable enough to let the Smiling Knight get a new sword, im pretty sure Ned would do the same.

Facts are facts. Jaime when surrounded, cut through Robb guard almost getting to the man himself. He killed three Northern lords sons. Brienne is almost a top tier fighter herself and Jaime matched her after months of being in a dungeon and with his hands tied. Hes one of the strongest warriors in Westeros and probably the most technically gifted. The only one who could match him with both hands is Sandor and that would be a close one. Hes the youngest ever Kingsguard member, and from a time when they were real knights of repute.

Archived