Ned Stark vs. Jamie Lannister

Lion of Judah

Going by the Books, Ned is only 3 Years older than Jaime. Was pretty shocked as i looked this up on the Wiki.

In the show one could say Ned is maybe not in his Prime, at least Sean Bean is 11 Years older then Nikolaij Coster Waldau.

Also this is pretty consistent with their Portrayal. Jaime is always shown as a man in his best years and Ned, you can really see

that he has been trough very much and this surely has left some "scars".

Maybe this is the reason Ned is often pitted as an even match against Jaime. Some people possibly dont refer to this exact

scene, more of a ideal scenario where both of them are at the top of their skills.

This isn't even a question. Jaime, he was one of the best swordsman ever. Ned, while I still say underrated, is just above average.

IF Ned fought with Ice, I'd say he would win 2 out of 10, the VS would be a huge advatage, and so would the length of the sword, but Jaime's skill far exceeds Ned's. Ned would need vastly superior weaponry and luck (Jaime trips, Cersei flashes him and he gets distracted, something like that).

Really all we have is Jaime's thoughts on how good he was and Brienne's, I'm not saying Jaime wasn't really really good before losing his hand, just that we have no real combat POV of Jaime fighting, and what are his merits anyways Smiling Knight? The same applies for Ned. We never actually get to see how good either were in 1on1 combat. A lot of people seem to think Ned wasn't anything special with a sword, but let's face it, he grew up training with Bob, who obviously was a renowned fighter like Jaime. Maybe Ned took 1 in 10 against Bob, maybe he did better than that, we have no idea. But training/practicing with someone better than you every day, makes you better.

To sum up, I just think we really don't have much info on how good either one really were, I think Ned was better with a sword than people think, and I think it would of been an awesome fight rather than one sided in Jaime's favor.

Really all we have is Jaime's thoughts on how good he was and Brienne's, I'm not saying Jaime wasn't really really good before losing his hand, just that we have no real combat POV of Jaime fighting, and what are his merits anyways Smiling Knight? The same applies for Ned. We never actually get to see how good either were in 1on1 combat. A lot of people seem to think Ned wasn't anything special with a sword, but let's face it, he grew up training with Bob, who obviously was a renowned fighter like Jaime. Maybe Ned took 1 in 10 against Bob, maybe he did better than that, we have no idea. But training/practicing with someone better than you every day, makes you better.

To sum up, I just think we really don't have much info on how good either one really were, I think Ned was better with a sword than people think, and I think it would of been an awesome fight rather than one sided in Jaime's favor.

We have the author saying Jaime is one of the best, no mention of Ned, and that he could beat Aragorn. We have a malnourished and chained Jaime giving Brienne all she can handle and we have Stark men in awe at how he cut through their ranks. The author and every in the books think Jaime is the real deal so I'm inclined to think we do know enough to say Jamie would whoop Ned's ass.

We have the author saying Jaime is one of the best, no mention of Ned, and that he could beat Aragorn. We have a malnourished and chained Jaime giving Brienne all she can handle and we have Stark men in awe at how he cut through their ranks. The author and every in the books think Jaime is the real deal so I'm inclined to think we do know enough to say Jamie would whoop Ned's ass.

This. Not to mention Jaime chiding Meryn and Boros, who don't like it. Yet they do nothing because they are scared Jaime will cut them in half even with one hand.

Meanwhile all we have on Ned's fightning capabilities is that he lost handily against Bronze Yohn Royce in a sparring match, despite Royce being way past his prime.

So yeah. Jaime > Ned. And it's not even close.

Holy hell! Talk about, What is Dead May Never Die. A thread from 2012?

Yes sorry ;) Saw that too after i wrote this post, google threw me this one in the face and i just wanted to say my 2 cents to it.

Btw, i also think Jaime would win, maybe not so clear as some here say but anyway. Just wanted to give a possible explanation why it comes up so often.

I really like the Stark children, but Ned´s stubbornness in doing things even if nearly anyone sees a catastrophe coming always struck me as odd.

Tbh, i like him more in the show as in the Books cause i like Sean Bean. ;)

What may save him is his strategic mind though, don´t think he would take a fight if he knew he would be outclassed.

But this thread is about the fight not the avoidance of it, and in the show he got ambushed and could not avoid anything.

Again, sorry for digging this up, didn´t pay attention.

I'm not saying Ned would win, I'm just trying to say we really haven't seen how good either one is. I know George said Jaime was really good, I'm not disputing that. I'm just trying to say I think it would be a good fight, rather than Jaime destroying Ned.

Also just curious to see what people think, could Jaime beat Robert? or Rhaegar? or the Hound, Red Viper, Arthur Dayne?

GRRM said that Jaime is one of the greatest warriors Westeros has ever produced.

He won a melee against full knights when he was 13, fought Brienne wearing chains even though he was malnourished and hadn't held a sword for a year and even Ser Barristan another legendary warrior despite what he says of Jaime thinks highly of his skill with sword.

I think Ned a capable fighter surviving Robberts rebellion and Greyjoy's revolt but against Jaime even wielding Ice he would not win.

Archived