The prophecy of Azor Ahai's return

Mephesto

The more I think about the Prophecy, could it be Dany they are talking about?

They said that Azor Ahai would pull the burning sword out, and be unharmed.

Stannis had to wear a massive glove to do it, but Dany was unburnt by Drogo's Pyre. Surely she would have no problem pulling out a burning sword with her bare hand.

Is this revelation I have one that is commonly known and I am late to the party? Or is Stannis really the second coming of Azor Ahai?

Azor Ahai's identity is the greatest puzzle in the whole saga. It's still troubling all the readers afger five books. Anyway I think Daenerys does not actually fullfill the prophecy, it says that AA will be reborn amidst smoke and salt "after a long summer". Dany's birth on Dragonstone (the place of smoke and salt according to Melisandre) took place before the long summer had even begun. Anyway when you finish A Dance with Dragons, you will be able to name a hundred likely candidates...

My opinion is it could be anyone we know, as GRRM intended. If you read on, you will see that there are many candidates for the prophecy. Dany is the most popular, because of her association with fire and her dragons. But then Mel is convinced it is Stannis. There are man more, but IIRC they don't start popping up everywhere until ASOS. Enjoy!

Well, how do we know that there really IS any AA reborn already? Being born after long summer could me that he will be born somewhere in near future, cause one long summer is just coming to an end. I myself believe AA isn't born yet. But than again, I do have some more reading to do. :)

Well, how do we know that there really IS any AA reborn already? Being born after long summer could me that he will be born somewhere in near future, cause one long summer is just coming to an end. I myself believe AA isn't born yet. But than again, I do have some more reading to do. :)

It is a major plot device, possibly the greatest coupled with the mysterious Others. As readers, we believe that GRRM didn't introduce this to us only for us to see this baby AA unable to affect anything. Also, I am unsure of the wording, but I thought it was reborn after the long Summer, therefore I ask myself "Who was reborn in salt and smoke recently?"

Davos after Blackwater, Theon after the burning of Winterfell, Beric after his first death and rez, Jon after his stabbing, Sam after he stabs the Other, etc.

ETA: Also, could be the Hound depending on when Gregor burned him.

• 3 weeks later...

Azor Ahai is the hero of fire. Nothing ever directly connects him to ice, though it is possible and I in no way rule it out. The Prince Who Was Promised has a song- the song of Ice and Fire according to Rhaegar. Nobody but Mel has claimed that they are the same person (AAR and PWWP).

Archived