"ASoIaF" and "Harry Potter" similarities

Delfinatriz

I'm not talking about them, they were doomed to die! I'm talking about Dobby, Fred etc...

I'm not talking about them, they were doomed to die! I'm talking about Dobby, Fred etc...

Well, those were relatively minor deaths compared to RW in ASOS (which was a shock to me). With GRRM, anything could happen, that was never the case with JKR. There was always a certain predictability with her!

Harry Potter is a great series, don't think it's not, but since its target is the 12-20 age group, the twists, the plot, the writing, is all aimed at that age group. Adults reading it might not like it as much. ASOIAF is for adults, teenagers would struggle to appreciate GRRM's masterpiece unless they older. That's the difference.

"clears throat" teenager here, thank you very much.

Well, those were relatively minor deaths compared to RW in ASOS (which was a shock to me). With GRRM, anything could happen, that was never the case with JKR. There was always a certain predictability with her!

Robb's death (brutal though), was somehow expected. For the sake of the plot to roll! Just like Sirius' and Dumbledore's.

They both kill too many characters so that the plot goes on smoothly, that's the only similarity in my opinion! Harry Potter is for children-teenagers though whereas GRRM addresses to adults!

Robb's death (brutal though), was somehow expected. For the sake of the plot to roll! Just like Sirius' and Dumbledore's.

They both kill too many characters so that the plot goes on smoothly, that's the only similarity in my opinion! Harry Potter is for children-teenagers though whereas GRRM addresses to adults!

Was RW expected really? I mean, i thought if there was gonna be any chance of a Stark kicks westeros ass story, Robb was indispensable, just like i always thought Jon was indispensable in his fight against the WW (along with Dany), and now look what has happened to him (well, worst case scenario atleast :-D)

Was RW expected really? I mean, i thought if there was gonna be any chance of a Stark kicks westeros ass story, Robb was indispensable, just like i always thought Jon was indispensable in his fight against the WW (along with Dany), and now look what has happened to him (well, worst case scenario atleast :-D)

I didn't say that the RW was expected, just Robb's death. RW was the brutal twist of his death! Just like Sirius had to die, (through the veil in the death chamber) Both writers added something unexpected to emphasise their characters death! I don't agree that Robb was indispensable, otherwise he would have a POV and GRRM didn't gave us one! Well Jon on the other hand, well let us hope he makes it! (I refuse to mourn him! :bang: :bang: )

If one's inventive enough, he can create arbitrarily long list of similarities.

Orphans. Magic. Dragons. Poor people. Rich people. Bullies. Social changes. Possible end of civilization as we know it. Weird foreigners. Pretty redhead girl. Messenger birds. Deadly snakes. Impostors. Twins. Consonants. Vowels. I can go on and on.

Another challenge: show how ASOIAF and the "Police Academy" movie series are suspiciously similar.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
Samwell and Neville. Both have their strengths but seen as weak. Sam at first by the NW but befriends Jon. Neville is also seen as weak by Slytherins but is gains courage that eventually helps beat Slytherin at the end of the book.

Both are also seen as outcasts by their family. Neville's grandmother doesn't believe Neville is a wizard until before the beginning of book one. In DH his grandmother finally shows some affection for him, recognising him as his father's son.

I also see some similarities between Sam and Hermione but that's just their bookish nature. Also Sam isn't as close minded as hermione.

Also Aunt Pentunia's dislike of Harry and Catelyn's dislike of Jon Snow.

Squibs and bastards are seen as inferior. We have Jon and in HP we have Mrs Figg who proves useful even though she doesn't have the capabilities of wizards.

Mothers who would anything for their children? Cat, Narcissa and Lily.

• 5 months later...

Archived