Jackanapes at the Wall: A Retrospective

butterbumps!

Slynt's belief that Mance would sue for peace because he heard that Janos Slynt has come trumps everything else. He IS the embodiement of jackanapeness at the Wall.

Basically a million times yes. I think Slynt's self-regard/actual usefulness ratio is more disaligned than that of any other character in the entirety of ASoIaF. Plus he's a corrupt dick to boot.

Re-reading these chapters makes me realize that Dolorous Edd is not, in fact, dolorous in proportion to reality; everyone else is not nearly dolorous enough.

Selyse "I'm an even less charming version of Aerys" Baratheon: I have very little patience for religious fanaticism. I'm even less enthusiastic about religious intolerance. Even further, I have no respect whatsoever for people who are rude, snotty and ungrateful. Selyse is all of these things, and additionally, completely clueless. I would feel sorry for Selyse if she weren't such a raging "culturist" who can't possibly deign to appreciate anyone who is not a Southron Fool like herself. Upon reaching Castle Black, she assumes Jon is a stableboy and demands to be taken to the LC. She talks a big talk about how all the Wildlings had better start kneeling for her husband and the Red God, and her contempt for everyone is not even thinly veiled-- it's a neon sign of hate and disgust. Most heartbreaking of all, she is a complete racist about Wun Wun, whom Leathers (a Wildling now sworn to the Watch), taught Common Tongue courtesies and to kneel, as a gesture of respect to the customs of this guest. She responds with horror and outrage, and her Southron Fool knights all start baring steel to put the poor giant down. As though this isn't enough to induce dyspepsia, she takes it upon herself to crown a new King Beyond the Wall, one Gerrick Kingsblood, based on the fact that one of his ancestors had been a king back in the day. No matter how many times Jon explains that the Wildlings don't follow hereditary titles (or why it is not a good idea to burn the old gods), Selyse insists she knows better because of her (incredibly unfounded) sense of superiority and wisdom. I find this maddening.

I really like the euphemism you used for raging "cunt"

• 2 years later...

scip...

ETA: Let's not even talk about Selyse and her ducklings. Attacking a giant, naming a nobody as king beyond the wall (and the funniest part is marrying Gerrick's daughters to Axelle and alii), they haven't been useful to the NW and I doubt they will ever be. Jon listens to Selyse just because he's Stannis's wife. You need a Cotter Pyke to sort out those people.

This momentum shows us everything about the Stannis-Selyse relationship. Stannis had gone to war to make LESS kings. Wins over the Free Folk, than makes Mance lose his crown.

THEN Selyse makes another king.    :lmao:

I was laughing so much when I read that. 

From this we can realize how "much" trust has she from Stannis, and how little she realize what is going on around her.  And really cant blame Stannis for avoiding her.
They say: "Behind every good ruler there is a woman" Now we can see why Stannis can't be successful. You can't do everything by yourself. Stannis is without a good helper who he could trust. 

Archived