Eddard Stark And The King In The North

Azureguy

After finishing A Storm Of Swords and reflecting on certain events in the story (I'm looking at you, page 705.) I've come to think. In a theoretical situation, what if Robb were still at war with the Lannisters and Ned were with him. I keep coming to the conclusion that Ned would not have approved of the 'King In The North' title. I just can't put my finger on why. I'd love to hear the discussion on this point.

I don't think he would either, simply because he felt the rightful heir should be on the throne and as a result was backing Stannis (who feels he's the only "King" and disagreed with the whole King of the North bit). I think he would willing bend the knee to Stannis in order to remove the Lannisters from King's Landing. And his men for the large part would respect that decision in order to keep the North intact. Just my opinion.

What would Ned do if Ned were Ned, but Ned was not THE Ned?

The biggest reason that the Northman believed in The King in the North was because the new king murdered their Liege Lord. I don't even think they knew about Stannis and the claim of incest yet. I think Ned would have done the same. I think he'd have supported the son of the Murdered Lord of Winterfell the same way the others had.

The biggest reason that the Northman believed in The King in the North was because the new king murdered their Liege Lord. I don't even think they knew about Stannis and the claim of incest yet. I think Ned would have done the same. I think he'd have supported the son of the Murdered Lord of Winterfell the same way the others had.

As I said, this is a hypothetical situation in which Ned doesn't die.

Then in this hypothetical situation the north would never be at war with anyone. The only reason Robb called his bannermen was because Ned was imprisoned.

Still, I dont think that even if there was war between the North and the Lannisters and Ned was there, he would not be the King in the North. Ned is portrayed as a true soldier, someone to follow orders and do what he's told, not the kind of guy to give orders and rule a kingdom.

If you go right back to the start - Jon Arryn is still alive, so is Robert. All the Starks are alive and well in Winterfell. Sooner or later Eddard would be pleading his good friends in Kings Landing for more men to help him defend The Wall. Winter is Coming, and if it had come sooner, good old Ned Stark would have taken the Black rather than concern himself rich mans politics.

• 2 months later...

Then in this hypothetical situation the north would never be at war with anyone. The only reason Robb called his bannermen was because Ned was imprisoned.

Still, I dont think that even if there was war between the North and the Lannisters and Ned was there, he would not be the King in the North. Ned is portrayed as a true soldier, someone to follow orders and do what he's told, not the kind of guy to give orders and rule a kingdom.

I totally agree with this. I think Ned was somewhat simple-minded and realized that there are moral complications that go along with being a ruler that he wanted nothing to do with. Ned was a brilliant military leader in terms of tactics and morale and I think Robb is the same way on both counts. Robb needed to have a good deal of dirty work done well before he ever went on the attack if he was ever to succeed, but to him the whole thing seemed like the war was being won as long as he kept winning battles.

They knew about Stannis, and Renly. The Greatjon says something along the lines of "Stannis Baratheon means nothing to me, nor Renly. What do they know of the North?"

I see where you are coming from in this topic, but I don't think it would have ever come to that. I think the only reason Robb was crowned King of the North was because the Greatjon realized their was no real way for Robb to maintain the support of all of his bannermen. I feel the Greatjon knew naming him that would create a common symbol to rally around. Ned on the other hand would not have had that problem. All of his bannermen respected Ned, except for maybe Roose Bolton. House Bolton and House Stark have always been less than fond of each other.

• 3 weeks later...

It definitely would have came to war because the Lannister's would have denied the claim of incest, but Ned would have backed Stannis as the rightful heir.

But he never would have named himself King of the North. He didnt want anything to do with ruling....he didnt even like carrying out the King' justice (I think he implies how uncomfortable he is beheading the deserter at the beginning of AGOT)

Archived