The books coming out in 2013

Lord of Rhinos

What's the word on Malice? I read on another thread that it had been getting poor reviews, but I haven't found much else...

I enjoyed it, but I can see how it would irritate people. It tries to find a tonal balancing act between early Feist and Bakker, and it doesn't always succeed (tending to fall on the Feist side of the line). Plus there's a couple of unnecessary characters. Still, it has enough charm to get by.

Orbit announces acquisition of bestselling self-published fantasy series:

NEW YORK, NY (February 15, 2013) – Today Orbit US & UK announced the international acquisition of the Shadowdance novels – an epic fantasy series by self-publishing success David Dalglish. The author has already digitally published the first four books in the series, all of which have been e-book bestsellers.

The Shadowdance series includes the novels A DANCE OF CLOAKS, A DANCE OF BLADES, and A DANCE OF DEATH. Orbit will launch A DANCE OF CLOAKS in October 2013, and the two sequels will follow in consecutive months in November and December.

http://www.orbitbooks.net/2013/02/15/press-release-orbit-announces-acquisition-of-bestselling-self-published-fantasy-series/

The Violent Century by Lavie Tidhar (Hodder & Stoughton) (24 Oct 2013)

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy meets Watchmen in Tidhar’s The Violent Century, the thoughtful and intensely atmospheric novel about the mystery, and the love story, that determined the course of history itself. The Violent Century is the sweeping drama of a time we know too well; a century of fear and war and hatred and death. In a world where everyday heroes may become übermenschen, men and women with extraordinary powers, what does it mean to be a hero? To be a human? Would the last hundred years have been that much better if Superman were real?

Would they even have been all that different?

For seventy years they'd guarded the British Empire. Oblivion and Fogg, inseparable at first, bound together by a shared fate. Until a night in Berlin, in the aftermath of the Second World War, and a secret that tore them apart.

But there must always be an account... and the past has a habit of catching up to the present.

Recalled to the Retirement Bureau from which no one can retire, Fogg and Oblivion must face up to a past of terrible war and unacknowledged heroism, a life of dusty corridors and secret rooms; of furtive meetings and blood-stained fields, to answer one last, impossible question:

What makes a hero?

http://lavietidhar.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/the-violent-century/

http://www.hodder.co.uk/PressRelease/Lavie+Announcement.page

Masks by E.C. Blake (Edward Willett) (DAW Books) :

Fall 2013

Masks, the first novel in a mesmerizing new fantasy series, draws readers into a world in which cataclysmic events have left the Autarchy of Aygrima—the one land blessed with magical resources—cut off from its former trading partners across the waters, not knowing if any of those distant peoples still live. Yet under the rule of the Autarch, Aygrima survives. And thanks to the creation of the Masks and the vigilance of the Autarch’s Watchers, no one can threaten the security of the empire.

In Aygrima, magic is a Gift possessed from birth by a very small percentage of the population, with the Autarch himself the most powerful magic worker of all. Only the long-vanquished Lady of Pain and Fire had been able to challenge his rule.

At the age of fifteen, citizens are recognized as adults and must don the spell-infused Masks—which denote both status and profession—whenever they are in public. To maintain the secure rule of the kingdom, the Masks are magically crafted to reveal any treasonous thoughts or actions. And once such betrayals are exposed, the Watchers are there to enforce the law.

Mara Holdfast, daughter of the Autarch’s Master Maskmaker, is fast approaching her fifteenth birthday and her all-important Masking ceremony. Her father himself has been working behind closed doors to create Mara’s Mask. Once the ceremony is done, she will take her place as an adult, and Gifted with the same magical abilities as her father, she will also claim her rightful place as his apprentice.

But on the day of her Masking something goes horribly wrong, and instead of celebrating, Mara is torn away from her parents, imprisoned, and consigned to a wagon bound for the mines. Is it because she didn’t turn the unMasked boy she discovered over to the Night Watchers? Or is it because she’s lied about her Gift, claiming she can only see one color of magic, when in truth she can see them all, just as she could when she was a young child?

Whatever the reason, her Mask has labeled her a traitor and now she has lost everything, doomed to slavery in the mines until she dies. And not even her Gift can show Mara the future that awaits her—a future that may see her freed to aid a rebel cause, forced to become a puppet of the Autarch, or transformed into a force as dangerous to her world as the legendary Lady of Pain and Fire.

http://edwardwillett.com/2013/02/a-sneak-peek-at-masks/

The Melancholy of Mechagirl By Catherynne M. Valente (July 2013) (VIZ Media LLC)

Science fiction and fantasy stories about Japan by the multiple-award winning author and New York Times best seller Catherynne M. Valente.

A collection of some of Catherynne Valente’s most admired stories, including the Hugo Award-nominated novella Silently and Very Fast and the Locus Award finalist “13 Ways of Looking at Space/Time,” with a brand-new long story to anchor the collection.

Macmillan Mass Market - Sept 2013 online catalogue

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?catalogID=86148

Random House Mass Market 13-Sept 2013 online catalogue

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?catalogID=83255

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Fall 2013 online catalogue

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?catalogID=79698

Tor Fall 2013 catalog:

http://edelweiss-ass...013_01_2013.pdf

Blurb for Gene Wolfe's The Land Across:

A novel of the fantastic set in an imagined country in Europe

An American writer of travel guides in need of a new location chooses to travel to a small and obscure Eastern European country. The moment Grafton crosses the border he is in trouble, much more than he could have imagined. His passport is taken by guards, and then he is detained for not having it. He is released into the custody of a family, but is again detained. It becomes evident that there are supernatural agencies at work, but they are not in some ways as threatening as the brute forces of bureaucracy and corruption in that country. Is our hero in fact a spy for the CIA? Or is he an innocent citizen caught in a Kafkaesque trap?

Gene Wolfe keeps us guessing until the very end, and after.

Dangerous Women anthology is missing from the catalog. Maybe it will be published in 2014.

I like the look of this one, coming out in May:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Resurrectionist-Lost-Spencer-Black/dp/1594746168/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1OLSJR8OXYM1W&coliid=IZMLZMNC5C2AV

Philadelphia, the late 1870s. A city of gas lamps, cobblestone streets, and horse-drawn carriages—and home to the controversial surgeon Dr. Spencer Black. The son of a grave robber, young Dr. Black studies at Philadelphia’s esteemed Academy of Medicine, where he develops an unconventional hypothesis: What if the world’s most celebrated mythological beasts—mermaids, minotaurs, and satyrs—were in fact the evolutionary ancestors of humankind?

The Resurrectionist offers two extraordinary books in one. The first is a fictional biography of Dr. Spencer Black, from a childhood spent exhuming corpses through his medical training, his travels with carnivals, and the mysterious disappearance at the end of his life. The second book is Black’s magnum opus: The Codex Extinct Animalia, a Gray’s Anatomy for mythological beasts—dragons, centaurs, Pegasus, Cerberus—all rendered in meticulously detailed anatomical illustrations. You need only look at these images to realize they are the work of a madman. The Resurrectionist tells his story

Midkemia: The Chronicles of Pug will be released in November 2013.

“In the first year of the reign of King Lyam conDoin, I, Pug of Crydee, magician to the royal court and cousin to the King by adoption, do take quill in hand and set forth this writ, that all may benefit from the knowledge I have gained…” -Pug of Stardock

So begins the narrative account of Feist’s best-selling character, Pug of Stardock, for Midkemia: The Chronicles of Pug. Part travel log/journal and part atlas, this visual compendium brings the world of Midkemia to vivid, illustrative life, and gives readers a completely new look at the creative genius of Raymond E. Feist.

Designed and illustrated by the same creative team that brought us the Harry Potter books (Film Wizardry and Page to Screen), Midkemia: The Chronicles of Pug is divided into five sections and transports readers -- via maps, blueprints, floor plans, and journal text -- to the outer reaches of the Midkemia world and into its cities. Starting at the Far Coast, Pug, the hero of The Chaoswar Trilogy, recounts his childhood, before he embarks on a journey that takes him to the Grey Towers, Sorcerer’s Isle, and Krondor. Pug also encounters several favorite characters and people along the way -- including Jimmy and Locky, the Sauur, and Erik and Roo in Ravernburg. Beautiful hand-drawn maps illustrate the changes in Midkemia’s geography as war ravages the land and physically alters the landscape; dedicated readers and fans can literally trace the changes made by each battle. Unlike anything else in the Feist oeuvre, this book is a totally immersive look into the world of Midkemia as never experienced before.

You can look inside the book.

I'll probably get this, despite the novels being pretty awful for the last 15 years running. The actual world of Midkemia, though fairly generic, is quite interesting and it's good to see Stephen Abrams - who actually created the planet and later let Feist play around in it - getting some due credit.

I used to really like Feist's books but looking now the last book of his I actively sought out was published in 1998 and I think I read Talon of the Silver Hawk at some point and gave up. I haven't heard great things recently but are any of the last nine or so books worth reading?

I used to really like Feist's books but looking now the last book of his I actively sought out was published in 1998 and I think I read Talon of the Silver Hawk at some point and gave up. I haven't heard great things recently but are any of the last nine or so books worth reading?

I read a bit further than you, the last I read was Into A Dark Realm which is four books after Talon of the Silver Hawk. There were good bits here and there, but not enough that I'd really recommend any of them, Exile's Return was probably the best of them. I think the only Feist book published after the end of the Serpentwar Saga that I'd say was really worth reading was Honoured Enemy, a story set at the same time as Magician which he co-wrote with William Fortschen (who I think wrote most of it), it was a very good military fantasy novel from what I remember.

Archived