The books coming out in 2013

Lord of Rhinos

Could anyone with Gollancz contacts perhaps inquire when Mark Alder's "Son of the Morning" will be published?

Same for "The Fell Sword" by Miles Cameron ( though of that at least we know it will come out from Gollancz somewhere between September and December since the US release is in January, but it would be nice to know a date).

I've asked around but haven't had a response, and the listings on Amazon UK and Orionbooks are wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Final copy of The Black Guard arrived through the post. The final design and quality of this book (and the few other Head of Zeus ones I have) is extremely impressive. I'm tempted to bump it right up the list simply because it's such a well-designed physical book.

• 2 weeks later...

To my great joy, I found out that Tusquets is going to release the new Murakami novel this spring/fall (it's in Spanish, but some of you may be interested anyway). The title will be Los años de peregrinación del chico sin color.

My main concern about this book is that it might be just the same old Murakami formula for a commercially succesful novel... I mean, I love it, but most of his books deal with very similar topics in a very similar way. It can get tiresome. And I would hate to get tired of his writing, since he's one of my favorite authors.

Final copy of The Black Guard arrived through the post. The final design and quality of this book (and the few other Head of Zeus ones I have) is extremely impressive. I'm tempted to bump it right up the list simply because it's such a well-designed physical book.

Any idea when you'll be posting a review? Very interested to see if this is any good.

Any idea when you'll be posting a review? Very interested to see if this is any good.

A bunch of other books have arrived and this has fallen back down the queue. No idea on when I'll get to it, I'm afraid.

Blurb for Kim Stanley Robinson's Shaman:

Kim Stanley Robinson, the New York Times bestselling author of science fiction masterworks such as the Mars trilogy and 2312, has, on many occasions, imagined our future. Now, in SHAMAN, he brings our past to life as never before.

There is Thorn, a shaman himself. He lives to pass down his wisdom and his stories -- to teach those who would follow in his footsteps.

There is Heather, the healer who, in many ways, holds the clan together.

There is Elga, an outsider and the bringer of change.

And then there is Loon, the next shaman, who is determined to find his own path. But in a world so treacherous, that journey is never simple -- and where it may lead is never certain.

SHAMAN is a powerful, thrilling and heart-breaking story of one young man's journey into adulthood -- and an awe-inspiring vision of how we lived thirty thousand years ago.

http://edelweiss.abo...&sku=0316098078

Regrettably I found this one unreadable. I quit a third of the way through. I kept hoping it would get better, but it never did. I think what it really needed was a good editor

Regrettably I found this one unreadable. I quit a third of the way through. I kept hoping it would get better, but it never did. I think what it really needed was a good editor

Ah, oh well. Am a relative newcomer to reading the fantasy genre, and am working my way through the highly recommended series on this board. I'm a little bit worried and am wondering if quality works will be produced faster than I read them or not, so always hoping to hear good things about debut authors. Hopefully the massive success of GOT television series will lead to the publishing and promotion of more works in the genre, and that a decent portion of that increase will be good stuff.

Legends: Stories In Honour Of David Gemmell edited by Ian Whates (ANTHOLOGY)

All original stories written in honour of David Gemmell.Legends will be launched at this year's Gemmell Award Ceremony, on the opening night (Thursday October 31st) of World Fantasycon in Brighton.

The lineup of contributors is still being finalised, but I can confirm :

Joe Abercrombie

James Barclay (a story chronicling the origin of The Raven)

Tanith Lee

Adrian Tchaikovsky (a story in his Shadows of the Apt milieu)

Juliet E McKenna

Stan Nicholls

Jonathan Green

Storm Constantine

Gaie Sebold

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/541972-a-new-anthology-in-honour-of-david-gemmell-post1738487.html#post1738257

After Party by Daryl Gregory:

Powerful, violent science fiction in the tradition of William Gibson and Peter Watts

It begins in Toronto, in the years after the smart drug revolution. Any high school student with a chemjet and internet connection can download recipes and print drugs, or invent them. A seventeen-year-old street girl finds God through a new brain-altering drug called Numinous, used as a sacrament by a new Church that preys on the underclass. But she is arrested and put into detention, and without the drug, commits suicide.

Lyda Rose, another patient in that detention facility, has a dark secret: she was one of the original scientists who developed the drug. With the help of an ex-government agent and an imaginary, drug-induced doctor, Lyda sets out to find the other three survivors of the five who made the Numinous in a quest to set things right.

A mind-bending and violent chase across Canada and the US, Afterparty is a marvelous mix of William Gibson’s Neuromancer, Philip K. Dick’s Ubik, and perhaps a bit of Peter Watts’s Starfish: a last chance to save civilization, or die trying.

That sounds really good.

Why no 2014 thread yet? Most of the books listed at this point aren't 2013 releases.

Why no 2014 thread yet? Most of the books listed at this point aren't 2013 releases.

Go forth and start the thread. We normally start it around this time of year anyway, if not earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, great to see that second John Brown book finally come out, that first book was enjoyed by quite a lot of people on forums from what I saw, but it's now been 4 years since that was published. So he is publishing a revised version of "Servant" with a longer ending in August, along with the second one, I 'll be getting both of those.

Good to hear. I have almost bought Servant of a Dark God several times, will actually commit to it this time.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived