The books coming out in 2013

Lord of Rhinos

Pat Rothfuss has sold a fantasy trilogy to DAW Books. Apparently it's not set in Kvothe's world, and may be an urban fantasy trilogy consiting of three quite short (under 100,000 words) books. Potentially controversial: he's been working on the first book in this trilogy, and may have not done much work on Kingkiller #3 as a result.

Hopefully he blogs and clarifies this soon.

Shit!

Uh oh.

Indeed, that's my first thought.

Now of course, I was not expecting the third book for a long while anyway. But after all the delays and statements about book two, I wouldn't be terribly surprised now to hear that Rothfuss actually hasn't started writing book 3 yet.

Other books of interest to me on that list:

The Silver Dream- Neil Gaiman. That is absolutely the first time I have seen that book listed anywhere, and obviously no idea what it is about, but I am hoping it is the American Gods sequel, or otherwise a book for adults and not one of his children's books that hasn't had a title revealed yet.

Farah Mendelsohn mentioned on a Worldcon panel that next Gaiman novel will be totally unlike anything he ever wrote. I am not sure she meant this book, though.

No synopsis yet, but there is an excerpt on Amazon: Graveyard Child by M.L.N. Hanover (Daniel Abraham)

http://www.amazon.co...graveyard child

Abaddon's Gate by James S.A. Corey

http://www.amazon.co...=I21HH2O622TCPS

The Tyrant's Law by Daniel Abraham has been announced for May.

http://www.amazon.co...d=1345615237

All you fans of Martin, Lynch, Rothfuss, etc. that haven't given Abraham a go yet, really need to...he's fantastic. And while I'm all for authors taking the time they need to get their book right, there are some who are clearly just more prolific. Abraham's essentially been releasing three books a year since 2011. The positive for the folks who give him a try is that there's a large amount of material and it just keeps coming.

Pat Rothfuss has sold a fantasy trilogy to DAW Books. Apparently it's not set in Kvothe's world, and may be an urban fantasy trilogy consiting of three quite short (under 100,000 words) books. Potentially controversial: he's been working on the first book in this trilogy, and may have not done much work on Kingkiller #3 as a result.

Hopefully he blogs and clarifies this soon.

I wonder if Rothfuss is seeing the benefits of the Abraham/Sanderson method...I know Sanderson has been pretty vocal that jumping around to different projects keeps him fresh and charged up and Abraham certainly seems to be working in the same vein.

All you fans of Martin, Lynch, Rothfuss, etc. that haven't given Abraham a go yet, really need to...he's fantastic. And while I'm all for authors taking the time they need to get their book right, there are some who are clearly just more prolific. Abraham's essentially been releasing three books a year since 2011. The positive for the folks who give him a try is that there's a large amount of material and it just keeps coming.

In my opinion, the positive is that Daniel Abraham is fucking awesome, and they'll be lucky to be reading his amazing works across several genres. While I really like Martin, Lynch, and Rothfuss (to a lesser extent), if any of those three have a book coming out on the same day as Abraham then they'll all come in in second place.

I had no idea that M L N Hanover was Daniel Abraham. That guy is a writing machine.

Thatss good news for me though, 'cuz apparently there are several books of his that I have not yet read.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised now to hear that Rothfuss actually hasn't started writing book 3 yet.

Yeah, I'm starting to think he has no idea where to go next with the story. Hasn't he been "working" on that book for like 5 years now?

Anyhow, I'll read any of his stuff, in the same world or not

To clarify, I think the idea was that Rothfuss might not have started on the rewrites/edits for Book 3 yet. The book certainly exists in rough form as part of the huge mega-draft of the entire trilogy that Rothfuss wrote a decade ago. However, as we saw with The Wise Man's Fear, that did not exactly help the book come out very quickly.

Hmm didn't Jones get fucked with some sort of publishing crap between book 1 and 2? Or am I imagining that.

Her first American publisher (Time Warner/Aspect) dropped the Sword of Shadows series after the first book, possibly due to unexpected delays in the writing process, but Tor picked it pretty quickly, and Orbit remains her UK publisher.

Werthead said in this Dragonmount thread from last July that the last he had heard, the next Sword of Shadows book was due in mid-to-late 2013. The likely title, at least at one point, was Endlords.

To clarify, I think the idea was that Rothfuss might not have started on the rewrites/edits for Book 3 yet. The book certainly exists in rough form as part of the huge mega-draft of the entire trilogy that Rothfuss wrote a decade ago. However, as we saw with The Wise Man's Fear, that did not exactly help the book come out very quickly.

Thannks Wert, I did not know any of that

The plot thickens. According to 'reliable sources', this French website has stated that the new Rothfuss trilogy is a sequel (or at least a successor) to The Kingkiller Chronicle after all.

Well, an unidentified and 'reliable' source in the internet world is not pariticulalry trustworthy. However there is this comment from Shawn

Speakman over at Aidan's blog:

This sale was mentioned in PW some weeks back. The contract in question is not for a Kvothe story or set in that world. At least as far as Pat talked the other night when he was over. Four years ago, he agreed to write a novella for someone. When Pat finally sat down to write it, it grew and grew until it became 80,000 words. He sold that book to DAW along with two others. Oddly enough, he still has to write a novella for that other person. It would not surprise me that the story he wrote is likely an urban fantasy since Pat has talked about wanting to write in that sub-genre for some time.

Since he was working on the 80,000 story, I don’t know how much work he’s gotten done on Day Three. I’d say temper enthusiasm that we are seeing it anytime soon.

You will have a short story next year in Unfettered though, a story that could easily be associated with a story-within-a-story-within-a-story nesting that we see in the Kingkiller books. It’s like a poem / song.

Now, that sounds pretty reliable. Though I'm still waiting on something more specific.

This just jumped to the top of my list for 2013 along with Bakker's The Unholy Consult.

Bakker is definitely not done with TUC, and then it needs to get to editing, so don't get your hopes up too much. 2013 is a possibility, but not a certainty.

Archived