The books coming out in 2013

Lord of Rhinos

Bakker is definitely not done with TUC, and then it needs to get to editing, so don't get your hopes up too much. 2013 is a possibility, but not a certainty.

Yeah, I'm just trying to engage in some positive thinking. Hopefully if enough people take it as a done deal that it's definitely coming out next year, it will work like the metaphysics of his book and make it so. ;)

Also I think we are getting Stormlight 2 at the end of 2013.

Hopefully. It depends on how big it is and how much editing time Tor and Sanderson will give it. It's a distinct possibility, but probably not until quite close to the end of the year.

Pat Rothfuss has sold a fantasy trilogy to DAW Books. Apparently it's not set in Kvothe's world, and may be an urban fantasy trilogy consiting of three quite short (under 100,000 words) books. Potentially controversial: he's been working on the first book in this trilogy, and may have not done much work on Kingkiller #3 as a result.

Hopefully he blogs and clarifies this soon.

Ruh Ro.

Definitely looking forward to Brett's Daylight War, which is going to be a big one apparently.

The story has me hooked, even if some of his characters don't interest me. The main ones do though.

I'd love some word from JV Jones about the next book but she is proving to be an absolute hermit in the way that literature sometimes brings forth such people :) The Terence Malick of the fantasy genre.

Mostly I hope Bakker will finish up soon and see the book released in July next year, or at least the second half, it's been long enough now given that he was already working on TUC at the same time as he was doing WLW.

Ken Scholes, I will be very interested to see if he returns to form with Requiem.

Miles Cameron's The Red Knight is apparently another big one at over 700 pages, December 2012 release, looks epic. Will be ordered together with Rise of Ransom City and Malice: Faithful and the Fallen.

Debuts:

Wolfhound Century- Higgins-March

Son of the Morning-Alder-April

And for something else, check this out, Japanese artist Amano's long awaited Fantasy/SF graphic novel, due in January, over 300 pages, called "Deva Zan":

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=deva zan

It was originally due in November already so they are pushing it back a little.

And for something else, check this out, Japanese artist Amano's long awaited Fantasy/SF graphic novel, due in January, over 300 pages, called "Deva Zan":

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=deva zan

It was originally due in November already so they are pushing it back a little.

Oh, I didn't even know about that. Looks very promising. I love Amano's art.

Prime Books have dropped Liz Williams due to poor sales.

Given how much writing pays, for the amount of time devoted to it, it is clear that the business and teaching now have to take precedence. Like many of us, I have grown very tired indeed of dealing with publishers: it really isn't worth it in financial terms. to give you an idea, the Guardian will pay me almost as well for five 750 word articles as a small press publisher will for a novel.
I've been writing professionally for nearly fifteen years, and it's time to take a break.

Williams will self-publish the second novel of the Worldsoul series as en ebook.

Prime have now decided against publication of the second book in the Worldsoul trilogy and the rights have reverted to me, so since the book is written, I'm putting it up for pre-order now

The final Inspector Chen novel Morningstar is coming out in 2013.

Seems pretty understandable to me. As a small press they don't get to draw in any big names that sell so well that they can afford to keep authors in their catalogue who consistently undersell, in contrast to for instance TOR.

I dunno, maybe it has something to do with Worldsoul being terrible? I guess it could have gotten better had I stuck with it, but those first few chapters were laughably bad. A shame, really, as I enjoyed what I have read of her Detective Inspector Chen series.

This seems to be an ongoing issue with Williams and I would assume that by now that she has learned the value of self-marketing, but the only time I ever see her venture from the confines of LiveJournal is when she wages war against criticism. If your sales are so low that you have been dropped by two publishers, I am not certain that self-publishing is the right direction to take. Does she think that raising the e-book price of Worldsoul is actually going to help her sales?

:dunno:

I dunno, maybe it has something to do with Worldsoul being terrible? I guess it could have gotten better had I stuck with it, but those first few chapters were laughably bad. A shame, really, as I enjoyed what I have read of her Detective Inspector Chen series.

This seems to be an ongoing issue with Williams and I would assume that by now that she has learned the value of self-marketing, but the only time I ever see her venture from the confines of LiveJournal is when she wages war against criticism. If your sales are so low that you have been dropped by two publishers, I am not certain that self-publishing is the right direction to take. Does she think that raising the e-book price of Worldsoul is actually going to help her sales?

:dunno:

Self publishing pays a lot more. If she can keep even 1/5 of her readers she'll probably be breaking even.

Self publishing pays a lot more. If she can keep even 1/5 of her readers she'll probably be breaking even.

Self-publishing pays a lot more for the 0.01% of people who really make it work. However, as a previously professionally-published author, Williams has a much better shot of making it work than most.

Any ideas about this one?

http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2012/09/guess-the-title-and-win-a-proof-copy/

We've got a very special treat for you this Friday a chance to win a proof copy of one of the most anticipated books of 2013!

There's just one catch - we aren't going to tell you the title of the book. We're not even going to show you the full cover. Instead, we're going to give you three clues.

2. This is not a debut novel

3. The author is based in the US

"One of the most anticipated books of 2013" and published by Gollancz? We already have cover art for The Republic of Thieves... If they are giving away a proof copy, this book must be finished.

Any ideas about this one?

http://www.gollancz....n-a-proof-copy/

"One of the most anticipated books of 2013" and published by Gollancz? We already have cover art for The Republic of Thieves... If they are giving away a proof copy, this book must be finished.

The cover fragment looks like a bit like a blood-stained automobile headlight to me. Joe Hill's new novel is being published by Gollancz, and apparently involves "a very bad man with a very bad car." I think Hill would have to be finished with that by now, since it's coming out in the US in May. Don't know if that would qualify as "one of the most anticipated," though, even given publisher hype.

Archived