The books coming out in 2013

Lord of Rhinos

After the End: Recent Apocalypses - Edited by Paula Guran (Prime Books)

Publication Date: June 2013

From the Sumerian epic of Gilgamesh to Norse prophecies of Ragnarök to the Revelations of Saint John to Cormac McCarthy’s The Road, any number of fictional zombie Armageddons, and the dystopic world of The Hunger Games, we have always wondered what will happen after the world as we know it ends. No matter what the doomsday scenario—cataclysmic climate change, political chaos, societal collapse, nuclear war, pestilence, or so many other dreaded variations—we inevitably believe that even though the world perishes, some portion of humankind will live on. Such stories involve death and disaster, but they are also tales of rebirth and survival. Grim or triumphant, these outstanding post-apocalyptic stories selected from the best of those published in the tumultuous last decade allow us to consider what life will be like after the end.

Contents:

• Paolo Bacigalupi, “Pump Six”

• Kage Baker, “The Books”

• Lauren Beukes, “Chislehurst Messiah”

• Blake Butler, “The Disappeared”

• Cory Doctorow, “Beat Me Daddy (Eight to the Bar)”

• Brian Evenson, “The Adjudicator”

• Steven Gould, “A Story, with Beans”

• Margo Lanagan, “The Fifth Star In the Southern Cross”

• Livia Llewellyn, “Horses”

• M.J. Locke, “True North”

• John Mantooth, “The Cecilia Paradox”

• Maureen McHugh, “After the Apocalypse”

• Simon Morden, “Never, Never, Three Times Never”

• Nnedi Okorafor, “Tumaki”

• Paul Park, “Ragnarok”

• Mary Rosenblum, “The Egg Man”

• John Shirley, “Isolation Point, California”

• Bruce Sterling, “Goddess of Mercy”

• Paul Tremblay, “We Will Never Live in the Castle”

• Carrie Vaughn, “Amaryllis”

http://www.prime-books.com/2012/11/30/table-of-contentscover-after-the-end-recent-apocalypses/

I don't think I'd be off the mark in saying that cover would do very little to pull fans of Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire to pick it up of the shelf and buy it.

Not to mention she looks like she's doing that Angelina Jolie pose. :P

I don't think I'd be off the mark in saying that cover would do very little to pull fans of Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire to pick it up of the shelf and buy it.

There may be some overlap. It's probably possible to read A Song of Ice and Fire purely for the soap opera elements (it's certainly possible to do that with the TV show), and in that case that book may be something such a reader would like.

That the cover art suggests romance doesn't mean the book wouldn't actually appeal to fantasy readers, nevermind the dreaded "soap opera elements." Paula Volsky's Veiled Isles series (published under the name Paula Brandon) has historical-romance covers, but judging by the first volume it's much more fantasy than romance. As for Assassin's Gambit, the author's blog certainly suggests someone who cares about writing good fantasy, though she notes at one point that the sequel, already written, needs to be rewritten from a fantasy with romance elements to a fantasy romance, presumably because it's what the publisher bought the series as.

Update from Dacid Keck:

Every summer, I write as hard as I can (before school snatches my time and attention away for another year). This year, I hoped to reach the end of A King in Cobwebs, but I’ve come up a little short.

The end is not far off. I’ve reached what the English teachers in the crowd will recognize as the denouement. The climax has climaxed, and all that’s left is to count the cost.

While it might seem that this last chapter or two should be the easiest bit to write, I’m finding it all curiously difficult. Loose ends have a tendency to wriggle away. A particularly good scheme is required if I’m to grab them all and tie them up in a big satisfying knot.

I’m sure any writer could tell you that there is a great danger in letting a book go cold. Over the years, I’ve come to realize that, while I’m actually working on a book, there are always problems bubbling away on the back burners somewhere. Any lengthy absence from the book turns off the heat and it takes time to get the story back on the boil.

I will have to fight to find a little corner of time every day…

~Dave

One novel that might be good comes out at the end of February, a debut called Dreams and Shadows by a screenwriter, Robert Cargill..

Kirkus, Publisher's Weekly have all given it glowing reviews and it is being compared to Gaiman, Grossman and Morgenstern in terms of what type of Fantasy it is. UK edition is out the same month by Gollancz, with an intriguing cover. This is the US edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Dreams-Shadows-C-Robert-Cargill/dp/0062190423/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1OLSJR8OXYM1W&coliid=I2J9YR6CPANI7E

“The Year’s Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2013” edited by Rich Horton (Prime Books) (July 2013)

“Nahiku West” by Linda Nagata (Analog)

“A Murmuration of Starlings” by Joe Pitkin (Analog)

“The Black Feminist’s Guide to Science Fiction Film Editing” by Sandra McDonald (Asimov’s)

“The Bernoulli War” by Gord Sellar (Asimov’s)

“In the House of Aryaman, a Lonely Signal Burns” by Elizabeth Bear (Asimov’s)

“The Castle That Jack Built” by Emily Gilman (Beneath Ceaseless Skies)

“The Governess and the Lobster” by Margaret Ronald, (Beneath Ceaseless Skies)

“Sunshine” by Nina Allan (Black Static)

“Scattered Along the River of Heaven” by Aliette de Bodard (Clarkesworld)

“A Hundred Ghosts Parade Tonight” by Xia Jia (Clarkesworld)

“Prayer” by Robert Reed (Clarkesworld)

“Honey Bear” by Sofia Samatar (Clarkesworld)

“The Contrary Gardener” by Christopher Rowe (Eclipse Online)

“Heaven Under Earth” by Aliette de Bodard (Electric Velocipede)

“Scrap Dragon” by Naomi Kritzer (F&SF)

“Twenty-Two and you” by Michael Blumlein (F&SF)

“One Breath, One Stroke” by Catherynne M. Valente (The Future is Japanese)

“The Philosophy of Ships” by Caroline Yoachim (Interzone)

“Give Her Honey When You Hear Her Scream” by Maria Dahvana Headley (Lightspeed)

“The Gravedigger of Konstan Spring” by Genevieve Valentine (Lightspeed)

“Arbeitskraft” by Nick Mamatas (The Mammoth Book of Steampunk)

“Fireborn” by Robert Charles Wilson (Rip-Off)

“Under the Eaves” by Lavie Tidhar (Robots: The New A.I.)

“Four Kinds of Cargo” by Leonard Richardson (Strange Horizons)

“The Keats Variation” by K. M. Ferebee Strange Horizons)

“Things Greater Than Love” by Kate Bachus (Strange Horizons)

“The Weight of History, The Lightness of the Future” by Jay Lake (Subterranean)

“Elementals” by Ursula K. Le Guin (Tin House)

“Two Houses” by Kelly Link (the Bradbury tribute anthology SHADOW SHOW)

“Swift, Brutal Retaliation” by Meghan McCarron (Tor.com)

“Uncle Flower’s Homecoming Waltz” by Marissa K. Lingen (Tor.com)

“The Magician’s Apprentice” by Tamsyn Muir (Weird Tales)

“One Day in Time City” by David Ira Cleary (Interzone)

http://www.prime-books.com/2012/12/19/toc-the-years-best-science-fiction-fantasy-2013-edition/

From the Orion/Gollancz catalogue posted by Jussi -

PAUL MCAULEY - Evening’s Empire (October 2013)

The fourth novel in a quartet of linked space operas. After mankind’s divergent evolutionary strands went to war over a child and her vital memories in The Quiet War, Gardens of the Sun and In the Mouth of the Whale, now the epic struggle for mankind’s future reaches a new level of ferocity. Acclaimed for strong, believable hard science, McAuley here weaves this into a story of high drama and vast possibilities and dangers.

Son of the Morning by Mark Alder (a pseudonym for M.D. Lachlan, author of the acclaimed Wolfsangel series)

April 2013

The start of an original new fantasy: The Hundred Years’ War played out by angels and demons.

It is 1337 and Edward III is powerless and bankrupt. He cannot hope to defend his lands in France, which are subject to a vicious scorched earth policy pursued by the French King. Hal Romsey is a sixteen year old boy; he is a visionary and a disciple of the Devil. He has one of the keys to Hell, and knows how to use it. Hell is willing to ally with England, and thus begins a story that will shake the thrones of medieval Europe and see angels and

demons fighting for the future of England and France.

Gallow by Nathan Hawke (a pseudonym for British fantasy author Stephen Deas)

Gallow: The Crimson Shield (July 2013)

Gallow: Cold Redemption (August 2013)

Gallow: The Last Bastion (September 2013)

Fantasy needs a new hero. Meet Gallow: trouble for anyone who crosses him.

“I have been Truesword to my friends, Griefbringer to my enemies. To most of you I am just another Northlander here to take your women and drink your mead, but to those who know me, my name is Gallow. I fought for my king for seven long years. I have served lords and held my shield beside common men. I have fled in defeat and I have tasted victory and I will tell you which is sweeter. Despise me then, for I have slain more of your kin than I can count, though I remember every single face.”

A protagonist with a big sword, a troubled past and big sense of justice.

The whole of this exciting new trilogy will be published over three months and will be perfect for fans

of David Gemmell.

STEPHEN HUNT - In Dark Service (December 2013)

The start of a brand new fantasy adventure trilogy by an acclaimed fantasy author.

The world of Plenas has a land mass 550 million times the surface area of the Earth and is a place where peddler caravans can take a thousand years to complete a limited circuit of their trade territory.

Jacob Carnehan the priest of the Church of the Three Saints in the harbour town of Northgate, and his wild son Carter have a difficult relationship. Carter resents his timid soft-spoken father and yearns for adventure. The old adage about being careful what you wish for was never better applied than to Carter, as a massive six hundred-rotor warcraft flies over his hometown, parachuting slave raiders down into Northgate. Burning and slaying all before them, the slavers are interested solely in sturdy young trade flesh and capture Carter and the majority of his youthful companions.

Jacob is resolved to rescue his only child. He really isn’t as serene as his parishioners once believed. The man Jacob has worked so hard to become is being shed like a snakeskin, and despite his best efforts to hold onto serenity, the man he once was, is now slowly returning.

And in that man’s shadow, demons will not tread, righteous gunfire will bark, and sabre steel will stab down anyone who dares to oppose him. Hell is coming, and neither father nor son will recognise each other when they are finally reunited..

PHILLIP MANN - The Disestablishment of Paradise (February 2013)

An ecological SF thriller from one of the greats of the genre.

Something has gone wrong on the planet of Paradise.

The human settlers – farmers and scientists – are finding that their crops won’t grow and their lives are becoming more and more dangerous. The indigenous plant life – never entirely safe – is changing in unpredictable ways, and the imported plantings wither and die. And so the order is given – Paradise will be abandoned. All personnel

will be removed and reassigned. And all human presence on the planet will be disestablished.

Not all agree with the decision. There are some who believe that Paradise has more to offer the human race. That the planet is not finished with the intruders, and that the risks of staying are outweighed by the possible rewards. And so the leader of the research team and one of the demolition workers set off on a journey across the planet. Along the way they will encounter the last of the near-mythical Dendron, the vicious Reapers and the deadly Tattersall Weeds as they embark on an adventure which will bring them closer to nature, to each other and, eventually, to Paradise.

STEPHEN BAXTER - Promixa (September 2013)

Proxima is a brand new novel from pre-eminent SF writer, Stephen Baxter. It is an awe-inspiring planetary

romance set in the 27th century. Proxima Centauri, a red dwarf star, is the nearest star to our sun, and host to the world, Proxima IV, habitable by humans. Huddling close to the warmth, orbiting in weeks, Proxima IV keeps one face to its parent star at all times.

The ‘substellar point’, with the star forever overhead, is a blasted desert, and the‘antistellar point’ on the far side is under an ice cap in perpetual darkness. How would it be to live on such a world? Proxima will tell the amazing tale of how we colonise a harsh new Eden, and the secret we find there that will change our role in the Universe for ever.

ADAM DALTON - Gateway of the Saviours (March 2013)

BEN AARONOVITCH - Broken Homes (2013)

JAMES BARCLAY - Beyond the Mists of Katura (May 2013)

STEPHEN DEAS - The Dragon Queen (June 2013)

ALASTAIR REYNOLDS - On the Steel Breeze (Poseidon’s Children Book 2) (June 2013)

ELSPETH COOPER - The Raven’s Shadow (July 2013)

CHRIS WOODING - The Ace of Skulls (August 2013)

RICHARD MORGAN - The Dark Defiles (August 2013)

JOHN MEANEY - Resonance (December 2013)

ADAM ROBERTS - Twenty Trillion Leagues under the Sea (July 2013)

It is 1958 and the France’s first nuclear submarine, Plongeur, leaves port for the first of its sea trials. The Plongeur makes her first dive and goes down, and down and down... Out of control, the submarine plummets to a depth where the pressure will crush her hull, killing everyone on board, and beyond. Hundreds of miles, thousands... And so it goes on. And on board the crew succumb to madness, betrayal, religious

mania and murder. Has the Plongeur left the limits of our world and gone elsewhere?

SARAH PINBOROUGH - Fairy Tales: Tales in Tatters

Poison (April 2013)

Charm (July 2013)

Beauty (October 2013)

Three interwoven well-known fairy stories with deliciously dark twists. Each story Poison (Snow White), Charm (Cinderella) and Beauty (Sleeping Beauty) will be 40,000 words, illustrated, and have a clever twist at the end. The tales are also linked together quite deviously.

TOM LLOYD - Moon’s Artifice (November 2013)

Bestselling Gollancz author kicks off a spectacular new fantasy series, perfect for fans of George R. R. Martin,

Joe Abercrombie.

On the cusp of an industrial age that threatens the warrior caste’s rule, the Empire of a Hundred Houses awaits civil war between noble factions. Centuries of conquest has made the empire a brittle and bloated monster, constrained by tradition and crying out for change. To save his own life and those of untold thousands Nariote must understand the key to it all: Moon’s Artifice – the poison that could destroy an empire.

JUSTINA ROBSON - Glorious Angels (November 2013)

The groundbreaking new novel from one of the genre’s most respected authors: a thrilling mix of science, magic and sexual politics. On a world where science and magic are hard to tell apart a stranger arrives in a remote town with news of political turmoil to come. And a young woman learns that she must free herself from the role she has accepted.

From author Jeff Salyards (Night Shade Books) -

I’m hoping to finish the rough draft of Bloodsounder’s Arc Book 2 (tentatively titled Veil of the Deserters) in the spring, and turn in a revised and polished manuscript in the summer, so it should be available by November or December 2013

http://www.bookwormb...-jeff-salyards/

No Return by Zachary Jernigan (Publisher: Night Shade Books/March 5, 2013) -

On Jeroun, there is no question as to whether God exists--only what his intentions are.

Under the looming judgment of Adrash and his ultimate weapon--a string of spinning spheres beside the moon known as The Needle--warring factions of white and black suits prove their opposition to the orbiting god with the great fighting tournament of Danoor, on the far side of Jeroun's only inhabitable continent.

From the Thirteenth Order of Black Suits comes Vedas, a young master of martial arts, laden with guilt over the death of one of his students. Traveling with him are Churls, a warrior woman and mercenary haunted by the ghost of her daughter, and Berun, a constructed man made of modular spheres possessed by the foul spirit of his creator. Together they must brave their own demons, as well as thieves, mages, beasts, dearth, and hardship on the perilous road to Danoor, and the bloody sectarian battle that is sure to follow.

On the other side of the world, unbeknownst to the travelers, Ebn and Pol of the Royal Outbound Mages (astronauts using Alchemical magic to achieve space flight) have formed a plan to appease Adrash and bring peace to the planet. But Ebn and Pol each have their own clandestine agendas--which may call down the wrath of the very god they hope to woo.

Who may know the mind of God? And who in their right mind would seek to defy him? Gritty, erotic, and fast-paced, author Zachary Jernigan takes you on a sensuous ride through a world at the knife-edge of salvation and destruction, in this first installment of one of the year's most exciting fantasy epics.

Words of Praise:

"A visionary, violent, sexually charged, mystical novel--NO RETURN challenges classification. Clearly, Zachary Jernigan has no respect for genre confines. His tale of gods hanging in the sky and a "constructed man" with glowing blue coals for his eyes and a motley band of fighters navigating a harsh landscape peopled by savage creatures and religious zealots... Well, it's pure genius. Here's hoping it's just the first of many such works from this guy." - David Anthony Durham, Campbell Award-winning author of the ACACIA Trilogy

"Zachary Jernigan's genre-defying epic raises the bar for literary speculative fiction. It has the sweep of Frank Herbert's DUNE and the intoxicatingly strange grandeur of Gene Wolfe's BOOK OF THE NEW SUN, with a decadent, beautifully rendered vision all its own. One of the most impressive debuts of recent years." - Elizabeth Hand, Nebula and World Fantasy Award-winning author of AVAILABLE DARK and RADIANT DAYS

"Be careful picking this one up, because once you join with the adventurers in this strange and stunning debut novel, there will be no going back to the familiar precincts of heroic fantasy. Zachary Jernigan starts at the very edge of the map and plunges deep into uncharted territory. Mages in space, do-it-yourself gods, merciless killers in love and a mechanical warrior with a heart of bronze await your reading pleasure. For thinking readers who like swashbuckling with an edge, NO RETURN delivers." - James Patrick Kelly, winner of the Hugo, Nebula, and Locus Awards

"NO RETURN is a rich, diverse, inventive fantasy, in a style that reminds me in some ways of Tanith Lee's TALES FROM THE FLAT EARTH books. Zachary Jernigan has created a stunningly original world and I can't wait to see where he takes it next." - Martha Wells, author of the BOOKS OF THE RAKSURA

"Jernigan's fiction is luminous and hallucinatory with its world-building, while still grounding readers into strong characters fully human. He scribes the future as an alien landscape with only just enough familiarity to unsettle us from our familiar, comfortable tropes. I highly recommend this gorgeous debut novel to all fans of strange fiction." - J. M. McDermott, author of the DOGSLAND TRILOGY

http://zacharyjernigan.com/no-return/

From author Felix Gilman -

I’ve got a recently-completed manuscript about Victorian occultists astrally projecting themselves to Mars (inspired by an account in Alex Owens’ fascinating history The Place Of Enchantment, another favourite book of the year). Tentative title: The Revolutions. It should come out late next year (2013), touch wood.

I’m working on a new thing inspired by the John Mandeville book (The Book of Marvels and Travels), in which a 14th century bookseller and illuminator goes on a long weird journey to France, the Holy Land, India, and the stars.

http://www.mybookishways.com/2012/12/interview-giveaway-felix-gilman-author-of-the-rise-of-ransom-city.html

I thought it was about time we started up the topic. I'll update the first post to keep it current. All release dates are subject to change.

A Death Divine by Mark Charan Newton (Lucan Drakenfeld #1)

For those wondering, the edits have pretty much been finished and handed back to my editor – who likes the changes (always useful). There may well be one or two very minor things to massage out, but the bulk of it has been worked on and we move on to the copyedit, which is marginally less humbling.

Notes:

1. It’s definitely going to be called Drakenfeld.

2. We have a blurb – I’m not sure when we’re going to release it. It’s probably the sort of thing we’ll sit on until the right time, but then Amazon auto-updates and it gets out there anyway.

3. I’ve discovered Drakenfeld shares the name with some sort of ceramic glaze.

4. With distance (and you need distance to really assess these things) this is the book I’m most proud of – and that’s a personal perspective, of course. Other people might think it’s not as good as one of the Red Sun books, but I hope I’m now writing with much more subtlety and consideration. Each novel is a failure of some kind, but I like to think I failed less with Drakenfeld.

5. Still awaiting the cover art. Word on the street is that it’s going to be quite different to the previous series. Not a hooded figure in sight, you’ll be pleased to know. I think there’s going to be some sort of reference to the classical world – probably more inspiration than it being a fresco, but I’m looking forward to seeing the new direction.

6. There will be ARCs.

http://markcnewton.com/2012/11/26/drakenfeld-updates/

Space Is Just a Starry Night, a collection of short fiction by Tanith Lee (Spring, 2013) (Aqueduct Press)

Squaring the Circle: A Pseudotreatise of Urbogony by Gheorghe Sasarman, translated & selected by Ursula K. Le Guin (Aqueduct Press) (May 2013)

The Big Mama Stories, a collection of short fiction by Eleanor Arnason (2013) (Aqueduct Press)

Information from Tor UK:

Then I have two storming novels publishing in October. Both on the same day in fact. But of a very different nature. Drakenfeld by Mark Charan Newton is the highly-anticipated novel from the author of the Legends of the Red Sun series. Moving on from the slightly as he says, ‘weird’ fantasy, of the Legends world, he takes us now to a landscape inspired by Byzantium and Ancient Rome. Playing on his love of crime writing and history, Mark’s new novel is a fantastic mix with a main character working to uncover a killer and negotiating the politics and underbelly of a city he barely recognizes anymore. It’s brilliant!

On a much darker note comes the genuinely terrifying House of Small Shadows by the award-winning master of horror Adam Nevill. If you’ve read any of his previous books you know what a spine-tingling writer he is, someone whose books really do give you nightmares. This one is no exception. Following a young woman as she steps into the Red House to value some of its most peculiar treasures you’re drawn into a world of madness and horror as she encounters some of the house’s more interesting artifacts. For anyone who’s ever caught that glassy-eyed stare of an Ancient doll and felt that frisson of fear – this one’s for you!

I’ve just noticed that Bella has snuck in some honourable mentions so that’s totally acceptable for me to do as well! Keep your eyes peeled for the second in the series of the Lotus War continuing from the astounding Stormdancer- Kinslayer by Jay Kristoff . The second (huge – weighing in at over 800 pages so far) novel from Malice author John Gwynne who we just published last month and there’s also the third novel (currently untitled) in the series by Col Buchanan following on from Farlander and Stands in Shadow.

http://torbooks.co.u...-to-the-future/

Archived