[Book Spoilers]Which characters you think wil be more popular in show than books?

Samsaptakas

Quite honestly; Tyrion. I mean, he's well loved by book fans. But he does have his dark times and his haters. In the show it seems like people will love Peter Dinklage no matter what Tyrion does.

Actually I am not so sure about it since the show has built up Shae as being really interesting and tough, apart from that - will she betray Tyrion (and Sansa) because she is calculating or has been someone's spy all the time or because she is deeply wounded when Tyrion goes along with marrying Sansa? So how will fans react when (or if?) he murders Shae?

And I do not think there is much whitewashing needed to keep some sympathy for Tyrion in ADWD, given his situation. He has been a character with several darker aspects, he will hopefully stay so and showing his cynism and depression as well as his sad sexual encounters can only enrich the depth of the character. They might want to show his self loathing and darker sides since it would be a waste not to do so if they have a capable actor like Dinklage with that broad range of possibilities.

The only Ironborns that I am interested in are Asha and Theon, so it would be interesting to see if they can make Euron or Victarion more interesting.

They cannot make me any less interested in Daario or any of the Meereen crew -- so anyone who puts on even a half-decent performance will beat their book equivalents.

I agree that Roose will emerge as a great villain - but he already is a great villain. He's already had some memorable scenes, though it will be hard for him to top Charles Dance in regards to cool menace.

I also agree about Peter D needing to show Tyrion's darker side in this season. There were moments lost in Season 2 but I think he will rise to it in Season 3, whilst still keeping Tyrion as everyone's favourite character.

I'll be interested in how they portray Tommen too. I am very 'blah' about his character in the books. Will be interesting to see if they change his personality in any way. If they keep him exactly how he is in the books, then the actor who plays him will have a tough time making him seem more than a baffled, silly boy.

Actually I am not so sure about it since the show has built up Shae as being really interesting and tough, apart from that - will she betray Tyrion (and Sansa) because she is calculating or has been someone's spy all the time or because she is deeply wounded when Tyrion goes along with marrying Sansa? So how will fans react when (or if?) he murders Shae?

And I do not think there is much whitewashing needed to keep some sympathy for Tyrion in ADWD, given his situation. He has been a character with several darker aspects, he will hopefully stay so and showing his cynism and depression as well as his sad sexual encounters can only enrich the depth of the character. They might want to show his self loathing and darker sides since it would be a waste not to do so if they have a capable actor like Dinklage with that broad range of possibilities.

100% agree with this. They are clearly building up the betrayal to be a huge and shocking climax to a 3 year arc. I think it's going to improve the book!

Ramsay puts Joffrey to shame. Joffrey is just a douche kid with lots of power. Ramsay is mad evil. He's scary. I don't think anyone was ever scared of Joffrey. If they get a good actor for Ramsay, he'll be the scariest character in ASOIAF.

Very true, but Ramsay will be the next one who will take over the reins of 'most hated person in the series', which Joffrey undeniably was in the first two seasons, especially to the TV fans.

Once Roose kills Robb, he'll be another one the TV audience will scream bloody murder for; the massive amount of fan-love for the actor who plays Robb makes me sigh and say 'oh, you sweet summer children'

So far, it seems like there is very little hate towards Catelyn among TV viewers, whereas a lot of book readers despise her. This is despite the fact that they made her even more foolish in the show by releasing Jaime before she heard of Bran and Rickon's "deaths".

It's a common trend on internet discussion boards to spew hate on the "mother" characters (like Skyler in Breaking Bad or Carmella in The Sopranos), so I would credit it fully to Michelle Fairley's great performance that a similair thing hasn't happened on GoT.

So far, it seems like there is very little hate towards Catelyn among TV viewers, whereas a lot of book readers despise her. This is despite the fact that they made her even more foolish in the show by releasing Jaime before she heard of Bran and Rickon's "deaths".

It's a common trend on internet discussion boards to spew hate on the "mother" characters (like Skyler in Breaking Bad or Carmella in The Sopranos), so I would credit it fully to Michelle Fairley's great performance that a similair thing hasn't happened on GoT.

Michelle Fairley really is an amazing actress. Her performance in GOT is one of the best I've ever seen.

I don't hate book Cat. I can easily relate to why she does the things she does, even if they ultimately turn out to be bad decisions. I do find book Cat insufferably smug. In her inner monologue, Cat always thinks she's right and that she knows better than anybody else. I think Martin did a very good job writing the POV of a mother who is convinced she always knows what's best for her children and her family. I think we all know at least one person who's a bit like that. It doesn't necessarily make them bad people, but it is easy to become frustrated by them.

You get a bit less of Cat's smugness on the TV show because we're not inside her head the way we are for the books.

Michelle Fairley really is an amazing actress. Her performance in GOT is one of the best I've ever seen.

I don't hate book Cat. I can easily relate to why she does the things she does, even if they ultimately turn out to be bad decisions. I do find book Cat insufferably smug. In her inner monologue, Cat always thinks she's right and that she knows better than anybody else. I think Martin did a very good job writing the POV of a mother who is convinced she always knows what's best for her children and her family. I think we all know at least one person who's a bit like that. It doesn't necessarily make them bad people, but it is easy to become frustrated by them.

You get a bit less of Cat's smugness on the TV show because we're not inside her head the way we are for the books.

I agree with you. I totally found Cat's chapters after the end of AGoT certainly smug, but instead of hating her for that like a total idiot, I respect her. I don't like her, never did and certainly don't now, particularly because of her chapters simply being just really miserable and were honestly quite a drag. However, the chapters help build up such a tragic character by the end (RW) and one so corrupted now that everytime people say they hate her and find her annoying, I feel like throwing Robert's warhammer at them.

Martin succeeds at creating such a believable widow's lament within the lonely war-torn world through Cat's monologues. Her death (and she is dead to me, Stoneheart seems just an epically cruel re-incarnation) has been for me the most difficult to take throughout the series so far, and could hold that top position even by the time I finish the last book's epilogue.

Archived