The Pink Letter is a forgery by Alliser Thorne

Jon Reborn

For a while I was thinking that Thorne was the Hooded Man in Winterfell, but was having my doubts. What made me think this was how it would tie the Pink Letter to the attempted (so far!) assassination of Jon. Thorne could have provided Ramsay with the info in the letter.

But, as I said, I am having doubts. I don't think we've seen the last of Thorne, though.

So, if he is not the Hooded Man, what's he been up to?

Killing the rangers with him while they slept.

Getting back through the wall via some co-conspirators.

He's heard about the wedding of Jon's sister to the bastard of Bolton. He loves to get under Jon's skin and call him "bastard". He thinks Jon sent him out to die (which maybe he did...), which gives him even more motivation to get rid of him. I think Thorne and Marsh were of the same mind when it comes to Jon's policies.

The letter had a "blob of pink wax", not the Bolton seal.

Clydas (one of the co-conspirators) knew what was in the letter, which is why he was fearful and nervous when handing it to Jon.

A few holes, perhaps. Such as: How did Thorne know about Mance and the spearwives?

What do you folks think?

ETA:

The letter was written in maester's ink. Could have been provided to Thorne by Clydas. I think Ramsay would have written it in blood.

There were no pieces of Mance or spearwife included with the letter.

I think you and I are kindred spirits on this line of thinking. I just wrote almost the same thing a little differently but the main points re the same. I didn't mention that there were no pieces of Mance and his spearwives included and that says a lot!

• 3 weeks later...

As soon as I read the Pink Letter, I decided it was not from Ramsay. I did not take any notes on it. I did not even make a index card holder for it. Yes, I am quite old school.

I am impressed that others did take notes, and can compare it to other missives from Ramsay. Or does everyone have these books on Kindle or such? I really am old school.

After two seasons, I do not watch the show. So Yara means nothing to me.

I believe the Pink Letter is a Red Herring that Martin threw in to keep us pondering upon and writing about until the next book. Or the book after that.

I am old school like you sagewich, but I have always been in bemused camp in that way I believe Thorne had something to do with the letter and the attack on Jon.

bemused said In the Jon re read:

"Yes, I'm saying the letter was rewritten. I think they / Thorne would keep anything they didn't understand , such as "Reek" .. because Jon might understand, and it might be something that puts pressure on him"

Somehow that is what happened I think. I also would not be surprised if the forth knife, Jon never felt would have been in Thorne hands, because if Thorne is behind this it has to come in the light in next chapter about Jon

Archived