Will Sansa ever learn she is a warg?

aedalia

Assuming she is a warg, how will she figure it out?

It seems to me, the other Stark children learn of/accept their warg abilities when they lose something- Bran and the ability to walk, Arya and the ability to see and Jon when he temporarily loses the Watch.

Sansa has pretty much lost everything. She's about as vulnerable as she's going to get. She doesn't have Lady to connect with through dreams to start learning of the warg abilities, but could she form a bond with another creature?

I kind of like Sansa remaining non-magical. Probably just me but I'm not a huge fan of warging showing up too many places in the story. The connection between the Stark kids and their direwolves is a nice poetic touch, and I can buy warging in that context - much has already been written about what Sansa losing her wolf means. Beyond that, warging makes sense for Bran in order to explain Bloodraven/old goods/things we would not otherwise know, but I do hope we are not going to see things being warged left right and center in the future.

That said, if Sansa was going to warg anything IMO it would be a bird of some kind. Her "leitmotif" throughout the series seems to allude to birds and flight: Sandor calling her "little bird"; when she is at her lowest she considers flinging herself and Joffrey off KL's walls; the main situations which put her in physical danger all involve sheer precipices and the fear of falling (getting out of KL, Lysa and Moon Door, getting Robyn down from the Eyrie); and if I recall correctly there are also a couple of passages in the Eyrie when she is homesick where she looks at a bird and wishes she had its freedom.

Probably wrong but a thought .... Of course this all could also foreshadow her developing role in the world of court intrigue (as in Varys' little birds)...

Bran is moving at an accelerated rate but with help.

Jon is realizing stuff now too and when he wakes up that guy is going to have a lot on his plate. Internally and in the atmosphere he is in and if he finds out his parentage, Or AAR, or PTWP...gah!

Arya is in third and getting there. I think she will stumble upon it and my secret dream is that she meets up with Nymeria and puts two and two together with her pet. Not sure how likely but...I am on only a second re-read and I am at the part where she is going to pee and she gets scared because that wolf and pack was that close to her and the wolf turned around and left her. Oh, I don't know, after everyone else inlcluding Hot Pie even warned her that people were getting mauled and there was a particularly vicious female pack leader roaming the area too.

Sansa will be last. And it might happen by accident and then she realizes, er, something.

But then again, can Bran communicate with his siblings? Maybe that will happen. It could pick up the story quicker and that is a lot for three other other people to learn with only two books left and so much other stuff going on.

I think it is because she lost Lady that she will the last Stark to find out about her abilities. Everyone (Bran,Jon,Arya) found out about their abilities to warg with their Direwolf and since Sansa lost hers, she is a little behind.

Also I wouldn't mind if she didn't find out about them at all. Like MrsManderly said it doesn't really suit Sansa like it does with Bran, Jon and Arya.

I really don't know if Robb or Rickon sense(d) their warg abilities since they aren't POV's. But I like to assume they did/do.

Like someone said above I hope she wargs a bird. By warging a bird she could find out Littlefinger's plans and his betrayle to her father and mother. I also refuse to acknowledge that Lady is dead, she is part of Nymerias' pack and will reunite with Sansa soon just like Nymeria will reunite with Arya

Another thing I was thinking lately is "Ok, all the Stark kids can warg...cool."

Okay, now what?

Martin made sure that the readers know that all the Starks can do it. Even Jon who has different parents.

To me, it will be sort of useless if they just all warg animals to fight for defense or whatever. We have already seen the 3 remaining wolves protect their masters.

If they can use wolves or other things to communicate with each other, spy, find info out, or some other reason that escapes me at the moment it would be worth it then.

So a big question here. What worthwhile uses by warging would be suitable or likely for each child?

I don't see Sansa using it the same as her siblings. Not sure why. But if she can get a message out to get the hell away from LF, I would be a happy person.

How likely are some ideas in regard to certain Starks?

And is Benjen one? And that is why nobody can find him.Because he is hiding in plain sight?

George gave me a sample chapter and Sansa wargs into Sweet Robin, using his body she has Littlefinger put to death before jumping through the moon door and taking the Vale for herself as while under the guise of Sweet Robin she names herself his heir. Crazy stuff.

George gave me a sample chapter and Sansa wargs into Sweet Robin, using his body she has Littlefinger put to death before jumping through the moon door and taking the Vale for herself as while under the guise of Sweet Robin she names herself his heir. Crazy stuff.

Did she then proclaim Tuesday as lemoncake day?

The direwolves seem to be more than mere pets, and from the start have that warg connection (the shared personality). While being a skinchanger is at least partly in the blood, it's frankly irrational to say all Stark kids were born with the ability - I think we can safely say, they gain it primarily through their wolves. One of the more logical explanations is that BR/old gods are behind the direwolves.

So for Sansa:

- She is a Tully. Arya and Jon most strongly have the Stark blood, not sure about Bran and Rickon; Robb and Sansa seem more Tully.

- Robb and Sansa have aspirations of royalty - especially Sansa. Seeing how wargs are thought of, they're most like to not accept such an ability

- Robb and Sansa seem to see their wolves as glorified pets. Bran, Arya and Jon have a very close connection to their wolves (Rickon as well, I think).

- Sansa lost Lady, and with it at least the quick way of becoming a warg. Quite possibly, her link to the old gods/BR. Which would make it very unlikely she could.

- Sansa's path lies in learning to become a player in the game of thrones. Reasonably, LF is educating her for that - and she already sees through some of his tricks, possibly steering towards a point where she outplays/betrays him. Insta-warg training wouldn't really improve that plot imo.

- Jon has let the boy die, Bran lost all his dreams when he fell, Arya has been taking other identities. These may make it easier for the warg "intrusion" to get its place. Sansa on the other hand is shaping a future of her own.

On the positive side:

- Sansa has been showing some interest in the old gods, correct? She now may be heading for a place with a weirwood, and if it's BR/old gods, they may use that connection instead.

- While I don't expect her to learn warging in the book's time, dreams alone could feed her some information

- BR might contact her through the weirnet - while not really warging, it is of course linked.

- If Sansa starts splitting the Alayne side of her, this may provide "identity space".

- It is known that wargs get a second life. It is also known that warging is a two-way connection. Part of Lady (albeit little, due to lack of time) may still be present in Sansa and spark some powers... though we should've seen that by now, imo.

There seems to be a whole spectrum of warg ability, although it's clear Bran is by far the strongest. I wonder whether the direwolves were necessary to awaken the ability in the first place, or whether they were merely placed as a catalyst (I think it pretty much impossible their initial appearance was an accident). It seems obvious that age doesn't seem to play a particuarly great role in their development.

I do like the idea that Sansa will gain the ability to warg birds somehow, that would be pretty cool and possibly set her up as an ironic replacement for Littlefinger or Varys. Unfortunately she seems to be a bit of a late bloomer in terms of character development and I think she'd need to develop a hell of a lot more cunning over the next couple of books.. I mean like we-need-a-montage levels of cunning haha.

I don't see Sansa warging anything soon. I mostly think of her as the non-magical Stark. She doesn't have a quick fix to anything, and she's always been vulnerable to anyone who tries to use her. I think the way Sansa's story progresses would be for her to find her own strength to overcome her difficulties, and use her own intelligence to outwit those that would harm her. It would just be a little weird if she just started warging into animals all of a sudden.

I love the idea of her warging into birds! I don't think she'll ever be as skilled as the other Starks, though, since we're running out of time with her.

I can see it happen more on accident/wish fulfillment. Something like she starts thinking she desperately needs to get information from someone nearby, but that she can't get to and then dreams of listening to the conversation from the window or near the fireplace etc.

I have always assumed that when she lost her direwolf she lost the opportunity to ever learn that she's a warg. I think the direwolves are sort of a initial step in their development as wargs, thanks to their close relationship.

By the way, if a guy only wargs with domesticated/tamed/trained animals, like dogs, horses, cats, messenger ravens...etc., do you think he would be able to keep more of them? Varamyr Sixskins was able to keep six animals, but all of them were wild animals he found in the wilderness and forced himself into: three wolves, a shadowcat, a beat and an eagle, and he thought he could also get Ghost. So, if a guy only wargs domesticated animals, like dogs and cats and trained birds and rats, do you think he could keep dozens of them? Because that would be a great way to become an spymaster.

I don't think she's ever going to realize her warg potential and think that warging ability is attached to the presence of the direwolves. The loss of Lady has to mean something, and it didn't foreshadow her imminent death like I thought it did, so am now convinced that Lady's death may have symbolized the loss of Sansa's warging ability (along with her childhood ideals, but that's for a different thread).

She is so isolated away with LF and SR. Winter's coming. And there are so many theories but how the heck is anyone, Jaime, Brienne, Sandor, any characters in the many theories going to get to her without some type of info first. Difficult but not impossible though if someone on the outside suspects that hey, Sansa Stark skipped out of KL, and LF has a teenager daugher that just appeared out of thin air.

Right now I was holding my breath when she was Alayne and LF had visitors. So hoping somebody would recognize her. It didn't happen. Unless someone did and it hasn't come out yet and held it in in front of LF.

I am hoping she stumbles upon it and can use it to aid her situation in any way she can.

I think she will. I think and hope it will be a part of her finding her Stark identity back. What better way to find the Stark in her than learning how to warg? It can't be her own wolf of course, sad to say, but it could well be a bird. Arya warged a cat when she was blind, why can't Sansa warg a bird? It could even be Nymeria for all I care.

Archived