Will Sansa ever learn she is a warg?

aedalia

Actually, a thought: what if she has the greenseeing ability rather than warging? Only Bran clearly has both, but what if she begins to sprour gren dreams ?

I've wondered this before actually. It's possible but I like my empahy ability. It'd be a unique skill amongst the Starks and would match her developing skill set as a game player. I guess green dreams could do that too though...

And there is evidence of the empathy ability.

And really I think the greenseer, or something seer, maybe, potenial is there. She dreams alot Her pov is her pov in the series. She doesn't realize she is seeing and having visions. There is no one to help her get even close to where Bran is and she might not have that much of the gift even with fine-tuning or she has something different. Not sure. She doesn't know what the hell it is and thinks she is just dreaming, so neither does the reader know exactly.

Not sure what it is but she has been showing emergences of something...

I am going with the Harry Potter rule on this. About children showing outbursts of magical ability sporadically until they of course get better with age, ability, practice, and in the case of Sansa and the Starks, exact awareness of what it is they have. Bran is far along because he might be the most gifted, he had a lot more time isolated with time to think, and he had Meera, Jojen, and now BR to help. Even before that Osha was open-minded and asking the right questions to get him started on the road.

I think there are 3 things that can point toward Sansa becoming a warg.

The old blind dog at LF and Lysa's wedding is a lot like Arya and the cats following her around Braavos before she starts warging the cat. Her Snow Winterfell scene is filled with Old God imagery and is symbolic on many levels some of which coul be read to mean warging is in her future. Then there is a great deal of bird references and symbolism surrounding Sansa.

The stone was cold beneath her feet, and the wind was blowing fiercely, as it always did up here, but the view made her forget all that for half a heart-beat. Maiden's was the easternmost of the Eyrie's seven slender towers, so she had the Vale before her, its forests and rivers and fields all hazy in the morning light. The way the sun was hitting the moutnains made them look like solid gold.

So lovely. The snow clad summit of the Giant's Lance loomed above her, an immensity of stone and ice that dwarfed the castle perched upon its shoulder. Icicles twenty feet long draped the lip of the precipice where Alyssa's Tears fell in summer. A falcon soared above the frozen waterfall, blue wings spread wide against the morning sky. Would that I had wings as well.

None of it is specific warg evidence. The old blind dog can also be viewed as symbolic of the loss of Lady and Sandor as her protectors, Snow Winterfell is primarily a psychological metaphor for Sansa, and so is the bird imagery surrounding her. I personally wouldn't be surprised at all to see Sansa as a warg with dogs or birds, especially a falcon but I don't think we have anything conclusive about her as a warg yet.

Sorry about the Potter references, but one of the biggest day of Harry's life was probably the simple words of Hagrid: "You are a wizard, Harry."

The girls are working in a different context than Bran and now Jon is. The boys had someone actually tell them what their powers are or might be.

Arya and Sansa have more work ahead of them. Bran and Jon know now and can work on it. Arya and Sansa haven't even begun to wrap their heads around it yet, though Arya is ahead of her sister.

Interesting too that Sandor often brough up the wolfish connection with both girls, even if he was just joking at times or being flip. But really he was a help or tried to be to both girls.

I'm only on page one, but since GRRM stated all the Stark children are wargs to different degrees then Sansa could warg something without her knowledge,birds, the old dog, Sandor.

I'm more inclined to see her as an empath or maybe a Sookie Stackouse type maybe she can read minds as she gets stronger.

ETA: KittyKatKnits beat me to it on page two, so I restate my agreement with it.

It's a matter of circumstance. Will she ever develop a close relationship with someone who doesn't get torn away from her?

Jeyne Poole, Lady, Sandor, and even Tyrion had been in a position to potentially form a bond with, but it would have taken time. Perhaps if she stays around Robin Aryn or some girl she meets in the Vale for an extended period of time she could warg into one of them.

She's the one child who seems least likely to warg strongly. It would seem unexpected to turn her into some amazing super-warg that can jump from human to human smoothly and manipulate conversations better than LF. And that unexpected stuff is just what I've come to expect from GRRM.

I don't think that Sansa's warging died with Lady. Lady's death may have delayed or atrophied her development, but I see no evidence that her skill is gone altogether. People have asked GRRM about the Stark kids being wargs and as far as I know, he just said that yes, they all are. No qualifier, nothing like, "Well Sansa would have been but isn't now."

While she may never consciously think of herself as a warg or identify her skills as such (does she even know what a warg is?), I have no doubt that at some point, she'll pick up her latent abilities. Maybe the "little bird" will become an actual "little bird."

Well, warging humans is uber-hard.. Bran only figures it out in his own because he has a close bond with Hodor AND he's mentally handicapped. Add to this the fact that Bran is by far the most powerful warg given the time the Stark kids have had to develop these skills. Sixskins even demonstrates how incredibly hard it is to take over another human's body. I think the greenseer idea is unfortunately impossible too, since Bran is told straight up how incredibly rare a human greenseer is, even amongst wargs themselves.

I do very much like the idea of Sansa figuring birds out, but as people have said she'd need to develop a strong bond with an animal. However there's an obvious possibility for this - hawking. Highborn fantasy novel chicks love that hawking crap. Littlefinger or her betrothed or someone could give her a hawk as a gift and she develops a strong bond with that, thus discovering at least some limited warg ability. The other thing I thought is perhaps Petyr decides to keep a caged mockingbird in his chambers that Sansa becomes attached to and accidentally sees through, thus finding out whatever nefarious crap LF is really up to and ironically using his own sigil against him.

Oh yeah, given all the bird imagery in all Sansa's chapters I would be very surprised if she does not learn how to warg a bird. The potential is there. I also agree with Kittykatknits that Sansa has empathic ability due to some latent warging power. The first phase of warging seems to be a reaching out to the one being warged. Sansa seems to have a subconscious ability to reach out to others and connect with them in a similar way though not as a full on warging takeover.

I find the possibility somewhat doubtful. Jon only does it unconsciously and he actually has his direwolf around his person all the time, while being aware what warging is (having seen it done quite frequently). Sansa, on the other hand, mostly like doesn't even know it's possible and has had no experience of warging over the course of the entire story. I suppose she might inadvertently come across it at some point, perhaps unconsciously like Jon, but how far will that ever take her?

I find the possibility somewhat doubtful. Jon only does it unconsciously and he actually has his direwolf around his person all the time, while being aware what warging is (having seen it done quite frequently). Sansa, on the other hand, mostly like doesn't even know it's possible and has had no experience of warging over the course of the entire story. I suppose she might inadvertently come across it at some point, perhaps unconsciously like Jon, but how far will that ever take her?

Well we know she's wary of it to say the least. When she's beaten in court for Robb's victory against Ser Stafford, Joff talks about Robb being a warg, and later she questions Tyrion, but he dismisses it as baseless. She's naturally fearful and refers to it as sorcery, but I do think it's possible that she could warg a bird at least. There's also the fantastical rumour of her escape from KL where she supposedly turns into a wolf with wings like a bat. Perhaps she's supposed to be the winged wolf ;)

Well we know she's wary of it to say the least. When she's beaten in court for Robb's victory against Ser Stafford, Joff talks about Robb being a warg, and later she questions Tyrion, but he dismisses it as baseless. She's naturally fearful and refers to it as sorcery, but I do think it's possible that she could warg a bird at least. There's also the fantastical rumour of her escape from KL where she supposedly turns into a wolf with wings like a bat. Perhaps she's supposed to be the winged wolf ;)

That's just my point though; she likely thinks it a myth. Also, if I remember correctly, isn't warging a bird particularly difficult?

That's just my point though; she likely thinks it a myth. Also, if I remember correctly, isn't warging a bird particularly difficult?

I'm not sure; I remember it being described as dangerous, since the human never feels satisfied on land again.

I'm not sure. I know Haggar told Varamyr not to do it because it would lead to him being too dreamy or some shit like that, but as far as I remember Bran doesn't have too much trouble doing it. Granted it is Bran, who's probably by far the most powerful warg and a green seer to boot.

So much bird imagery with Sansa...Not just the little bird that Sandor calls her but the stories she tells to Sweetrobin about the Falcon Knight. I definitely think it's probable that she will warg something before it's all over, probably a bird of some sort.

Archived