Penny ... ?

Cersei of the Kingsguard

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, cutting the character is more about pragmatism than cynicism... Don't get me wrong, I'd love 40 hours of GoT per season they can recreate the show down to the last detail, but without Penny, Jorah and Tyrion have many more options (for the writers) to arrive at Meereen. Penny is a cute/fun character, but not really germane to the plot.

Until now she wasn't fundamental to the plot, but in the future only GRRM knows. If she appears in the show probably she will have an important role in the rest of the books.

. Penny is a cute/fun character, but not really germane to the plot.

She may not be germane to the plot, however there are already casting threads on this site for everybody from Black Balaq to Lady Merryweather, so I don't see why we have to suddenly draw the line at Penny.

Maybe they'll just shorten her involvement? Have her at the wedding feast, then have her show up for an episode or two in Season 5 when Tyrion is traveling where she confronts him and all that, but then shes goes her own way while Tyrion and Jorah go another. Then they'd be able to bring her back in in Meereen again if they chose to (or not). Basically cut out the boring parts.

I think they will pull of the same thing as they did with Beric.

?????

What did they do with Beric?

What they did with Beric was hire an actor just to appear for 5 seconds in season 1 as Ned sends him after Gregor but then cast a new actor for real for season 3.

They will very likely do the same with Penny, and it could just be a child actor. Or not, a proffesional actor is not even needed, just some kid who can ride a dog for 10 seconds.

You know quite apart for the casting or Penny and Oppo , which , as someone noted, could be done with costumed stunt people and never introduce the characters....

Are things all in place for the PW?

The wedding takes place in the Throne Room, that's there, tho dressing that set is going to be interesting.

All the request characters cast?

Is Jamie going to be there? That's something I can't figure out.

It was Jamie's arrival after the weeding and the trial too?... that led him to piece together the circumstantial evidence to strongly (very strongly) doubt Tyrion's guilt.

Nobody is going to ride any dog on television. We will see two dwarf stuntmen in full helmets whale on each other during the wedding sequence. We won't ever see their faces, so any Penny casting will wait for a future season.

Yeah, if Penny and her brother are included, they won't include the animals. Not only is this an unneeded complication for the production, it's also not ethical to have people (regardless of their size) riding on a dog or even a pig.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, cutting the character is more about pragmatism than cynicism... Don't get me wrong, I'd love 40 hours of GoT per season they can recreate the show down to the last detail, but without Penny, Jorah and Tyrion have many more options (for the writers) to arrive at Meereen. Penny is a cute/fun character, but not really germane to the plot.

She is germane to Tyrion's story, as his feelings of responsibility for her plight and empathy for her, as well as his newfound sense of responsibility towards her well-being is what brings him back from the depths of despair and gives him a purpose beyond chasing death.

Not only that, but her ultimate role in the story beyond all that has yet to be determined.

She is germane to Tyrion's story, as his feelings of responsibility for her plight and empathy for her, as well as his newfound sense of responsibility towards her well-being is what brings him back from the depths of despair and gives him a purpose beyond chasing death.

Not only that, but her ultimate role in the story beyond all that has yet to be determined.

In others word it can be easily cut. I for one am not interested in half a season of Tyrion moping.

Archived