First scene of Season 3

princethomas

I think what they're doing is fine, as long as we get to see the devastation at the Fist from Jon's perspective later when the Wildlings get there. That would round it off perfectly. I mean, it was a second hand account from Sam in the books anyway, and Sam isn't there when it happens in the show, so it would just be Jeor ordering a bunch of guys that we don't know around, seeing a few of them die and then the rest run away.

Well, that's your interpretation of it. All I saw was a lot of White Walkers ignoring Sam and heading very slowly towards the Wall - the whole point is that we don't know 'what' happened, or - perhaps more importantly - why they completely ignored Sam. We think that something massive is going to happen, but we could be right, we could be wrong. That is the whole point of a cliffhanger! Don't blame the writers or say they didn't follow up on some 'promise' just because they didn't do what you wanted or thought they 'should' do.

But something massive does happen! There is a mass battle, it plays out exactly as the S2 finale telegraphs it but we don't get to see it. Can you honestly not see how frustrating that might be for people who haven't read the books? And let's be honest, why would D+D pass this opportunity up? The only logical answer is because of budget. But if they didn't have the budget, then why on earth did they telegraph the battle at the end of S2? They could easily have had the same final scene as the books, or played up the House of the Undying or whatever as the final scene. But they didn't. Instead they set-up a cliffhanger, had it play out exactly as expected, but didn't let us see it. That's just bad planning.

You condemned so much from last season that I started to wonder why you were bothering watching the show at all. Please don't start nitpicking about Season 3 on the basis of a mere couple of seconds.

I watch it because it's a very good TV show. However there's only so many ways I can say that I thought a particular scene was good. When it's bad it takes a lot more words to analyse why I thought that and outline how I think it could've been better. So that skews things to appear that I dislike a lot more than I do.

But the cliffhanger didn't hint to Sam's thrilling escape, it hinted at a massive battle. So regardless of how thrilling Sam's escape is it still isn't following up on the promise that D+D made. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this, and of course once the episode airs we could find out it's so epic that it'll make up for the missed battle at the Fist.

If I asked non-book readers about the cliffhanger, the only thing they wanted to know is, if Sam and the old bear will survive (some grenn and Dolores)

What would be very frustrated is when Sam first scene of the season will be at crastens keep.

If I asked non-book readers about the cliffhanger, the only thing they wanted to know is, if Sam and the old bear will survive (some grenn and Dolores)

What would be very frustrated is when Sam first scene of the season will be at crastens keep.

Were did I suggest Sam's first scene would be a Craster's Keep? They could've have had the battle scene at the start without Sam (or better yet not have taken Sam away from the rest of the NW in the first place.) and then shown him meeting up with the survivors at the end of the episode.

It just seems to me that if they didn't want to show the battle, then they could have done it differently as to not frustrate the viewers. I mean Sam, Grenn and Ed were out on their own, some way away from the Fist by the looks of it, so why not have them ambushed by a small group of Wights for the season finale? Then in S3 we get the scene that's confirmed to happen, with the reveal that there was a much larger army that took out the rest of the NW. That's an example of what could've been done to prevent any let-down (and in fact would seem very shocking to non-readers.) and would've had the desired effect of brining the Wights into the forefront again.

Were did I suggest Sam's first scene would be a Craster's Keep? They could've have had the battle scene at the start without Sam (or better yet not have taken Sam away from the rest of the NW in the first place.) and then shown him meeting up with the survivors at the end of the episode.

It just seems to me that if they didn't want to show the battle, then they could have done it differently as to not frustrate the viewers. I mean Sam, Grenn and Ed were out on their own, some way away from the Fist by the looks of it, so why not have them ambushed by a small group of Wights for the season finale? Then in S3 we get the scene that's confirmed to happen, with the reveal that there was a much larger army that took out the rest of the NW. That's an example of what could've been done to prevent any let-down (and in fact would seem very shocking to non-readers.) and would've had the desired effect of brining the Wights into the forefront again.

I didn't say you said that, I said that that would be disappointed, not what they did now.

Archived