First scene of Season 3

princethomas

I'm not expecting feature level film productions. They managed to pull of the Blackwater, they can manage to pull off 5 minutes of background fighting while Sam gets the ravens off.

I'm curious how you see Sam running through the undead army in order to make it to the fist first. the writers have deviated from what was in the books here, there is no plausible way Sam gets to the camp first, or even during the fighting, which would imply hes fighting his way through from the flank, alone, at night.

No the first thing we see of same is the aftermath and releasing the ravens, before noticing the others are heading towards gilly, and he decides to man up.

We'll probably get more hints as to what the extent of the Battle of the Fist which will be shown once the filming in Iceland begins next month. If you hear about a lot of extras being involved, then you can assume that there will be some shots of the battle itself. I would not be surprised if they opened on the chaos of the retreat as opposed to the fighting itself.

At the end of the day, the retreat and run through the snow back to Craster's (where Sam slays the Other) is far more important than anything that actually happens on the Fist. Hell, Martin didn't even bother writing about the battle in real time, only in a recounting after the fact. Not sure showing Sam releasing ravens is really necessary one way or another.

We'll probably get more hints as to what the extent of the Battle of the Fist which will be shown once the filming in Iceland begins next month. If you hear about a lot of extras being involved, then you can assume that there will be some shots of the battle itself. I would not be surprised if they opened on the chaos of the retreat as opposed to the fighting itself.

At the end of the day, the retreat and run through the snow back to Craster's (where Sam slays the Other) is far more important than anything that actually happens on the Fist. Hell, Martin didn't even bother writing about the battle in real time, only in a recounting after the fact. Not sure showing Sam releasing ravens is really necessary one way or another.

Showing Sam releasing the ravens is just one way of showing parts of the battle without spending too much budget, as the fighting can take place in the background. I agree we're probably not going to get much, but even just showing the last few men of the NW being slaughtered would be better than nothing, which I'm apparently the only person who thinks would be unsatisfying.

As for how Sam gets back to the fist, I don't see it as impossible. If the WW's ignore him, he can run back and get there just ahead of the very slow and cumbersome army of zombies. Worst case scenario we see the battle without Sam and he catches up with them later.

Here's how I see it - The first scene could be the Others attacking at the Fist and the slaughter that ensues, without Sam, who's been left behind, but it leaves the audience wondering if he's still alive. Then later, during the episode, Sam arrives at the Fist, releases the ravens etc. They should start with the Others attacking IMO, not only because of the cliffhanger from season 2, but because I know how much I liked the first scene from season 1 (I hadn't read the books then) and how much I got hooked only seeing that scene and then after the introduction of Winterfell, I was ordering the books...

I think it will be Davos on the rock. I actually don't think we'll see Sam or the NW at all in Episode 1. Maybe Jon meeting Mance.

Episode 2 I expect to open with Sam and co. fleeing from the Fist. We'll get some flashbacks to the battle, chaotic ones and maybe the most vivid one when Sam falls or is being carried.

I noticed they tend to show the NW every other episode or close to that. Since it ended Season 2, I bet they'll drag out the cliff hanger a little more.

• 2 months later...

Open with a small sequence off NW fighting wights, Sam struggling with the ravens, slaughter in the background, then after the credits, move to riverrun, introduce tully's, and don't show NW again till episode 2 (fleeing, Sam the Slayer)

Open with a small sequence off NW fighting wights, Sam struggling with the ravens, slaughter in the background, then after the credits, move to riverrun, introduce tully's, and don't show NW again till episode 2 (fleeing, Sam the Slayer)

They don't do "before the credits" footage. The episode starts when the opening credits are finished.

They did it only for season 1...

I'm quite sure it will open at the Fist : remember... James Cosmo said his favourite moment of his arc was the opening scene... and with what was said about the cinematic opening sequences, well... I would be ready to bet on a Fist opening...

Erm... well... you get my point ! xD

ASoS opened on a scene which has already been shown in Season 2, the Three Blasts (albeit from Sam's perspective as opposed to Chett's).

I think there's a good chance they open with something dealing with Sam but there's just as good a chance they open with something less cinematic and show Sam's stuff later in the episode (even possibly waiting for the final scene of E1). Remember that Season 2's opening scene was Joffrey's nameday celebration leading to the arrival of Tyrion to King's Landing, hardly heartpounding stuff.

It's pretty much impossible to predict what the scene will be as they could go in so many different directions.

There are equal odds that the Season's first scene could be any of the below:

-Sam at the Fist/retreating from the Fist

-Davos on the rock

-Robb, Talisa and Catelyn arriving at Riverrun

-Dany on a boat to Slaver's Bay/securing a boat to Slaver's Bay

-Jon meeting Mance

-Tyrion trying to integrate himself back into the KL power dynamic

-Jaime and Brienne having a hilarious argument

-Theon waking in a darkened prison cell

-Bran and co on the road

-Joffrey being a dick in general

imo they have to open with the battle of the first. just show mormont giving an awesome speech and rallying the men of the watch. they could then show sam using the dragonglass dagger to kill the other. maybe that would cause the others to stall and he could make his break away. i don't know. it is kind of dumb that he's stuck in the middle of their army.

Does anybody even think that the wights/ww vs NW will be on screen? if it was off screen on the books, I doubt it will be on screen on the show where all budget is needed..

true but in the books we were given Sam's POV during the retreat and during that chapter he vividly describes to us what happened. there is no way for the show to do the same thing without actually showing the battle. Sam can't say "the wights attacked and we shot fire arrows at them, then we were fighting hand to hand. it was so awesome you guys should have seen it."

I think the WW cliffhanger demands direct continuation. It we get unrelated scenes before the battle of the Fist, it would look like the WW took days to walk from where Sam was to the top of the Fist. It wouldn't feel good.

Archived