First scene of Season 3

princethomas

The opening scene is confirmed to be:

Samwell Tarly fleeing the first of the first men

Spoiler
Why are people complaining about that? That just the same as in the books. He got saved. Later on he kills a other. That's probably episode 2. And in episode 3 they're at crasten's keep.

Spoiler
Why are people complaining about that? That just the same as in the books. He got saved. Later on he kills a other. That's probably episode 2. And in episode 3 they're at crasten's keep.

Apparently what transpires is different from the book:

Sam is directly saved from a wight by Ghost. Doesn't sound like a problem at all to me, but we'll see.

I think the biggest complaint from people who've seen it is that the entire opening scene on the fist is just...underwhelming. Apparently there is no actual battle shown. Sam is running away, and then Ghost saves him and he runs into the survivors from the battle who tell him that everyone is dead. That's all that happens and then they cut to the next scene elsewhere. So we don't see the chaos that ensues once the wights swarm over the defenses.

Obviously this cut was done b/c of the budget (which is understandable), but it is still kind of a lame way to pick things up after S2's intense cliffhanger ending

I think the biggest complaint from people who've seen it is that the entire opening scene on the fist is just...underwhelming. Apparently there is no actual battle shown. Sam is running away, and then Ghost saves him and he runs into the survivors from the battle who tell him that everyone is dead. That's all that happens and then they cut to the next scene elsewhere. So we don't see the chaos that ensues once the wights swarm over the defenses.

Obviously this cut was done b/c of the budget (which is understandable), but it is still kind of a lame way to pick things up after S2's intense cliffhanger ending

This was my biggest fear. Considering that the wight army looked massive and many non-readers(myself at the time included) would assume that it was the official return of the White Walkers, the battle on the Fist is relatively small scale. And people are going to be disappointed in the long run, considering that the Others are generally offscreen for the next few seasons.

Big mistake imo.

Teasing a massive battle at the end of S2 and then not following it up properly is going to leave a sour taste in viewer's mouths right off the bat. Hopefully we'll at least get some action with Sam and Ghost. I mean I thought we had confirmation the battle was in? Reports of an extra being set on fire for the first episode? What happened to that? I'm sure the scene will be done well (and at least it gives a half-decent explanation for where Ghost has been.) but this is going to disappoint a lot of people.

Here is a detailed description of the first scene from someone on IMDB who saw the premiere:

samwell is alone in the tundra running towards something. then he comes upon a white walker wight (he corrected it later). he tries to escape but ghost and the surviving members come to his rescue and kill the beast. then mormont asks samwell if he was able to send out the ravens. samwell says he wasn't able to and mormont is pissed. he says that if they don't get back to castle black and warn them, that everybody he has ever known will be dead by the time winter is over.

cue credits.

Make of that what you will people. Personally, I think it could have been done better (even without doing a big budget scene). Some other stuff in the episode that the IMDB user describes sounds decent though at least.

Here is a link to the IMDB guy's thread...spoiler's obviously.

Here is a detailed description of the first scene from someone on IMDB who saw the premiere:

samwell is alone in the tundra running towards something. then he comes upon a white walker. he tries to escape but ghost and the surviving members come to his rescue and kill the beast. then mormont asks samwell if he was able to send out the ravens. samwell says he wasn't able to and mormont is pissed. he says that if they don't get back to castle black and warn them, that everybody he has ever known will be dead by the time winter is over.

cue credits.

Make of that what you will people. Personally, I think it could have been done better (even without doing a big budget scene). Some other stuff in the episode that the IMDB user describes sounds decent though at least.

NO DRAGONGLASS????? What was the point of including the scene in Season 2 then?

NO DRAGONGLASS????? What was the point of including the scene in Season 2 then?

The guy is mistaken, it's a wight not a White Walker. You can tell from the trailer (the thing in the snow with the axe) that it's a wight. Sam isn't going to get his Walker kill with the Dragonglass until after Craster's it appears since you can tell in the trailer footage that he and Gilly are in the woods being stalked by a Walker (looks like the same guy that stared him down in the S2 finale) not out in the snow. There are no wooded areas in the scenes near the Fist, only at Craster's.

I should also mention that I predicted almost this exact sequence occurring near the start of the thread back in the fall. So I'm assuming that makes me the king of the internet or some kind of equivalent right? If anyone wants to send me cheques, I'll PM you my home address.

samwell is alone in the tundra running towards something. then he comes upon a white walker. he tries to escape but ghost and the surviving members come to his rescue and kill the beast. then mormont asks samwell if he was able to send out the ravens. samwell says he wasn't able to and mormont is pissed. he says that if they don't get back to castle black and warn them, that everybody he has ever known will be dead by the time winter is over.

cue credits.

I mean it sounds good, I'm mainly just worried about how the Unsullied will react to such a comparatively anticlimactic scene.

The guy is mistaken, it's a wight not a White Walker. You can tell from the trailer (the thing in the snow with the axe) that it's a wight. Sam isn't going to get his Walker kill with the Dragonglass until after Craster's it appears since you can tell in the trailer footage that he and Gilly are in the woods being stalked by a Walker (looks like the same guy that stared him down in the S2 finale) not out in the snow. There are no wooded areas in the scenes near the Fist, only at Craster's.

You're right. In a post on page 7 (which I hadn't read yet, I stopped on page 5 last night) he said that it was probably just a wight, because someone asked him about this very subject.

Also, later in the thread he says that he actually enjoyed the opening scene despite it not being very...dramatic. Apparently the landscape looked spectacular. So maybe this scene will be better when actually viewed :dunno:

I mean it sounds good, I'm mainly just worried about how the Unsullied will react to such a comparatively anticlimactic scene.

The Dany scenes as he describes them actually sound pretty damn awesome.

cue credits.

"It was your only job!"

Sure, but they didn't promise a massive battle in Dany's arc now did they? :P

It could be argued that they didn't promise a massive battle in the NW arc either. We should have known at the end of Season 2 that this is exactly the way it was going to play out - especially considering that Samwell was on his own at the end of the season.

But yes, I'm really excited for the premiere - I think all of the scenes I have heard about so far sound great! :)

It could be argued that they didn't promise a massive battle in the NW arc either. We should have known at the end of Season 2 that this is exactly the way it was going to play out - especially considering that Samwell was on his own at the end of the season.

But yes, I'm really excited for the premiere - I think all of the scenes I have heard about so far sound great! :)

Yep, giant army of zombies marching towards 300 Night's Watchmen at a fortified mountain base. Cut to black. Definitely no promise of a battle there.

Archived