How Will Manderly Prove That Davos is Alive?

Tall-Talker

I was reading the WoW Theon sample chapter and in it Stannis is still sore about Manderly fighting for the Boltons and for killing Davos. Of course we all know it just a ruse and that he actually sent the Onion Knight to Skagos to find Rickon.

Say Stannis captures Manderly and Theon stubbornly keeps his mouth shut and doesn't tell Stannis the truth about the kids, how will Manderly prove that Davos is still alive and on a mission?

I thought about it and perhaps Bran will say something via the ravens or weirwood. However, that will only reveal that the kids are alive. Or perhaps if Bran tells them that Rickon is in Skagos with Osha and then Manderly says the same thing and backed with the testimony of Wex and others that were there when Manderly told Davos to go to Skagos.

But is there any other hand Manderly can play to prove to Stannis that he didn't kill Davos if he gets captured?

I believe Davos will return to Stannis with Rickon (remember, Davos left very early in the book and Skagos is not very far from White Harbor) before the Freys and Manderlys reach Stannis' camp. (I should say, just the Manderlys because those rats the Freys are going to be punished for their evil on the way). At that point, the Manderlys will parlay with Stannis, Davos will vouch for Manderly, and they join forces.

I believe Davos will return to Stannis with Rickon (remember, Davos left very early in the book and Skagos is not very far from White Harbor) before the Freys and Manderlys reach Stannis' camp. (I should say, just the Manderlys because those rats the Freys are going to be punished for their evil on the way). At that point, the Manderlys will parlay with Stannis, Davos will vouch for Manderly, and they join forces.

Yeah, I thought that perhaps Davos & Rickon may get there before Manderly but given the pacing of the story I don't think that will happen. I'm more inclined to think that Stannis may ask the knight he's sending to Braavos to swing by Skagos and pick Davos and Rickon up.

Also, didn't Cotter Pyke mention that "there are dead things in the water," or was that only around Hardhome? If there are this may hinder a direct route to the mainland and Davos and Rickon may be forced to take a longer route.

Yeah, I thought that perhaps Davos & Rickon may get there before Manderly but given the pacing of the story I don't think that will happen. I'm more inclined to think that Stannis may ask the knight he's sending to Braavos to swing by Skagos and pick Davos and Rickon up.

Also, didn't Cotter Pyke mention that "there are dead things in the water," or was that only around Hardhome? If there are this may hinder a direct route to the mainland and Davos and Rickon may be forced to take a longer route.

There's been some decent speculation that Davos and Rickon will return with their own army of Skagosi since Manderly had a decent sized fleet. They could either use that force to take the Dreadfort or sail back down to White harbor and link up with Manderlys reserves. Some people think that Manderly got word of Rickons return and that is why he all of a sudden was willing to outright provoke the Freys "Perhaps it was a blessing, had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey" not an exact quote but I know its close.

But either the Dreadfort or White Harbor are significantly south of hardhome or EastWatch

When Manderley and the Umbers sweep up behind the Frey forces and rout them in front of Stannis and Wyman bends the knee there won't be too much worry.

Sorry but are you reading the same series as me? When has it ever happened like this for the "good guys"?

I think it's possible that Davos/Rickon (with Skaggosi army or not,) might join up with Manderly's forces and march on WF. This would mean they would be waiting for Stannis in/around WF, proving the Manderly's loyalty (which probably wouldn't be assured simply by killing Freys, as Stannis knows that all the northmen hate the Freys.) Strategically this makes sense because they know (I think?) that Stannis will be marching for WF, if Roose were to send out a force to intercept Stannis (as we know he does) then besieging WF would split Roose's forces and the revelation of Rickon and Ramsay's work would turn the northmen inside WF against the Boltons. Even if they assume Roose doesn't send men to intercept Stannis they assume that they only need to hold out until Stannis arrives, which shouldn't take that long if he isn't intercepted. If there is an agent inside WF working with the Manderlys, or some of the Manderly men inside WF could open the gates for the other forces this would make even more sense, especially from the POV of the northern Lords because it would mean they weren't indebted to Stannis for retaking WF. Additionally, Manderly only needs Davos to get Rickon back, he never seems to be expecting to rely on Stannis forces, he merely agrees to declare for Stannis in exchange for Rickon's return. Like I said, it's no more than speculation, but it would make at least as much sense as anything else Manderly could have set in motion to prove his loyalty to Stannis, IMO.

I think the fact that Davos has been MIA since so early in ADwD has to have some significance. I find it incredibly strange that Martin didn't subject us to a travelogue or two, as he has been apt to do with other characters. Did he encounter something on the way to Skaagos such as the dead things in the water, that Martin doesn't want us to know about firsthand yet? And I'm certain that Skaagos has a nice twist or two in store for readers. Or of course, it's entirely possible that he'd have made it back by now.

I have a feeling he won't have to because everyone that knows Davos is alive in Winterfell, including Manderly, will end up dead before they have an opportunity to explain. It seems like when the realm thinks a character is dead when they're not, the realm always continues thinking it.

I was reading the WoW Theon sample chapter and in it Stannis is still sore about Manderly fighting for the Boltons and for killing Davos. Of course we all know it just a ruse and that he actually sent the Onion Knight to Skagos to find Rickon.

Say Stannis captures Manderly and Theon stubbornly keeps his mouth shut and doesn't tell Stannis the truth about the kids, how will Manderly prove that Davos is still alive and on a mission?

I thought about it and perhaps Bran will say something via the ravens or weirwood. However, that will only reveal that the kids are alive. Or perhaps if Bran tells them that Rickon is in Skagos with Osha and then Manderly says the same thing and backed with the testimony of Wex and others that were there when Manderly told Davos to go to Skagos.

But is there any other hand Manderly can play to prove to Stannis that he didn't kill Davos if he gets captured?

Through the weirnet.

I'm on the crazy band wagon, I don't know how or why he got them, but he did.

How can Manderly find Davos's fingers because blackwater bay is quite far away from white harbor, and also the fingers floating in sea and manderly men finding a pouch of fingers how is that a possibility because they would have to float a long distance.

There are many things that can go badly for the "good guys"...

1) Davos need to return safely to WH whit Rickon, and that's all but sure.

2) Manderly (and/or Robett Glover) need to survive.

3) Manderly needs to make Stannis know of his intentions.

4) Manderly's intentions need to be true (He might be going to betray Stannis and declare Rickon King and himself his Hand)

Try to figure out what could happen if Lord Lard weren't able to tell Stannis his plans before Stannis's army met Manderly's................

Archived