"I just bought" part 6

Calibandar

Picked up a first edition of The Left Hand of Darkness the other day for 5 bucks.

Bought 4 more books today for a buck a piece:

Up In Honey's Room by Elmore Leonard

Needful Things by Stephen King

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

The Time of Our Time (signed) by Norman Mailer

I love used book stores.

The Big Sleep and Farewell My Lovely are also great, if you like The Lady in the Lake, Ini.

Thanks -- I actually have, and have read, The Big Sleep. I settled on Lady because everyone in ES' detective fic thread agreed it was good but not everyone felt that way about Farewell.

I had a card in the letterbox saying that they'd tried to deliver an Amazon parcel, which initially surprised me since I haven't ordered anything recently. Upon checking my e-mail I found that it is Tim Powers' Hide Me Among The Graves which I ordered earlier this year before they moved the UK release date back 6 months.

Railsea (slipcase edition) by China Meiville

Fractal Prince by Hannu Rajaniemi

King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence, which was a tremendous read. Some very clever and elegantly written inner dialogue. Enjoyed much more than its predecessor.

1st UK edition Game of Thrones

Railsea (slipcase edition) by China Meiville

Fractal Prince by Hannu Rajaniemi

King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence, which was a tremendous read. Some very clever and elegantly written inner dialogue. Enjoyed much more than its predecessor.

1st UK edition Game of Thrones

bolded by me...how did you get this????

• 2 weeks later...

New York: The Novel (Edward Rutherford)

The Last Kingdom (Bernard Cornwell)

The Pale Horsemen (Bernard Cornwell)

Chronicles of the Black Company (Glen Cook)

Imperial China 900-1800 (F.W. Mote)

Some historical fiction, some fantasy, and some history.

Don't know your tastes but here is what I thought:

New York: The Novel (Edward Rutherford)-have not read

The Last Kingdom (Bernard Cornwell)-Great, better than most Cornwell

The Pale Horsemen (Bernard Cornwell)-Ditto above

Chronicles of the Black Company (Glen Cook)-Different and really good

Imperial China 900-1800 (F.W. Mote)-Have not read

EDIT: I wanted to comment in this thread. I really can't buy anything for awhile. I have like 40 books to read and I read way too slow the way it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided I was going to limit book buying until I get on top of everything. That said, I went to pre-order Abercrombie's "Red country" and noticed in the check-out queue they had a range of "try the author" for £2.99 and wound up with Cornwell's "Azincourt" and Bank's "Player of games". Very clever marketing by the waterstones folk and I've been considering trying both authors for a while (I actually tried "consider phlebas" by Banks but required a push to try more "culture" books).

Very tempted to buy "Fractal Prince" as I really enjoyed "Quantum Thief" but seeming though it's going to be a while before I can read it I may as well just wait.

Anna Maria Mäki: Zárt helyek igézete (original title: Suljetun paikan lumo)

Rudyard Kipling: Collected Stories (Everyman's Library)

Hankiss Elemér: Félelmek és szimbólumok (English title: Fears and Symbols: An Introduction to the Study of Western Civilization) - A "friend" stole this book ...

Archived