Mad Aerys

John W

As I recall, one of the original teasers for season 1 of GoT showed the torture scene in the throne room, but it never aired as part of an episode.

Really?? Wow, would love to find that clip. Or just save it for the epic 2-part Robert's Rebellion movie.

Really?? Wow, would love to find that clip. Or just save it for the epic 2-part Robert's Rebellion movie.

It's mentioned here on Winter Is Coming; if you search for "strangled" there, it should come up again somewhere.

Have we ever gotten any flashbacks on the show?

No. Its getting increasingly unlikely. Although, it will be interesting to see how they handle Jaime in S3. They certainly don't have to use flashbacks but if they don't use any flashbacks there then there is 0% chance that they will ever be used IMHO.

They really should use Flashbacks. There's far too much 'talk' otherwise. How is anyone going to know what character like Aerys was like without them? GRRM is brilliant at getting into the memories and dreams of his POV characters so that we somehow get to know these characters that died.

SPOILERS!!!!!

I just figured that since season 3 (and 4) is going to be based on A Storm of Swords and one of the major storylines is the redemption of Jamie Lannister and part of that is his recalling the last days of Mad Aerys and what he had planned for King's Landing, it would be nice if they flashed back to that.

I'd personally love to see him just for the fact that one of the designers on the show wanted to play him :D They mentioned it at some Irish convention, and I just love the fact that he had such an intimate knowledge of the books (and even talked about the fingernails).

I would love to see an entirely flashback based episode somewhere in the middle of a later season down the road. That way they can reveal a lot of information without having to resort to using long monologues and information dumps.

On the other hand, the special features of the DVD/Blu Ray release of season 1 have all of the relevant backstory. Plus it's told in a really awesome visual storytelling format. I absolutely loved seeing the Old Bear and Tywin tell differing viewpoints of The Night's Watch. I'm assuming the season 2 collection will be the same and we'll get to hear Stannis/Davos narrate the story of the siege of Storm's End in greater detail than the show. Theon/Balon/Yara narrating relevant information about the Iron Islands would be really nice to see as well. Ditto for Loras or Maergary talking about the history of Highgarden.

Archived