Moments of Foreshadowing 2

Ice Turtle

“Pyp says that Lady Melisandre means to give him to the flames, to work some

sorcery.”

“Pyp should learn to hold his tongue. I have heard the same from others. King’s

blood, to wake a dragon. Where Melisandre thinks to find a sleeping dragon, no one is quite sure. It’s nonsense. Mance’s blood is no more royal than mine own. He has never worn a crown nor sat a throne. He’s a brigand, nothing more. There’s no power in brigand’s blood.”

The raven looked up from the floor. “Blood,” it screamed.

Mel's mistake, and by extension Jon's, is that they think the prophecy refers to a literal fire-breathing dragon. Well, they don't have the benefit of the Dunk & Egg stories; if they did they'd know that a reference to a "dragon" in prophecy is talking about a Targaryen. At the time he spoke this line to Sam, Jon was the "sleeping dragon" because he was unaware that he is a Targ. At the end of ADWD he is "asleep" -- unconscious or in a coma or mostly dead. It's my theory, shared by many, I think, that while Jon's body is asleep his soul will go wandering with Ghost, he'll find out whatever the hell he's supposed to know, and awake knowing he's a Targaryen. Some readers have speculated that Jon will be revived on his pyre, which would echo Dany hatching her dragons on Drogo's pyre.

Drogo who was a brigand, by the way; his blood proved to be pretty damn powerful. Heck, blood magic is blood magic so any blood should do. Maybe that's what the sorcerer Bloodraven was trying to say through the raven.

Of course if Jon walked out of the flames of his own pyre Apple Martini would never hear the end of the "Targaryens are too fireproof" argument.

Bloodraven is also a sleeping dragon ("dozing in his chair").

It was implied in the gift chapter that Theon was going to be executed in from of a weirwood tree. Theon has the blood of kings; his blood shed on the roots of the tree might kick start the weirwood web, waking BR and giving Bran a boost too.

I think that while in coma Jon will be forced to finish his repeating dream about crypts. I think that what he is so afraid of is the truth, he will probably meet either Ned's or Lyanna's ghost. The king's blood will be his own and the dragon he himself.

I'm sensing a pattern when it comes to Jon Snow and his love interests (maybe others have to):

He captures them, and then he lets them go. They come back and the romance progresses from there.

Case 1: Jon captured or "stole" Ygritte and then he let her go. She comes back and flirts with him while he tries to ignore it in order to keep his vows. Eventually they initiated a romantic relationship anyway.

Case 2: Jon captured or "stole" Val and then he let her go (to find Tormund). She came back and was clearly flirting with him at their reunion while Jon's response was to ignore it because of his vows. I think we can safely assume what is going to happen between these two once he comes back....

Basically, if Jon captures any other women we should just automatically assume he will be doing the naughty with them at some point ;)

I don't know if this has been pointed out or not (probably has been) but when quentyn is up to no good stealing dragons he chooses to wear the lion brazen mask and we all know how that turned out. Seems that the lion mask could easily be pretty significant and foreshadow a Lannister getting burnt alive by a dragon or something like it.

I don't know if this has been pointed out or not (probably has been) but when quentyn is up to no good stealing dragons he chooses to wear the lion brazen mask and we all know how that turned out. Seems that the lion mask could easily be pretty significant and foreshadow a Lannister getting burnt alive by a dragon or something like it.

Ha, that's interesting. Everyone assumes the lion in the prophecy is Tyrion (or a Lannister, whoever) and the sun's son is Quentyn. What if it's the opposite, Quent is the lion because of the mask, and the Lannister is the sun's son because the legend says that Lann the clever stole gold from the sun to put in his hair? Anyway, good catch, I had missed the mask.

Good catch, goes well with these ones, post 116.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/66352-moments-of-foreshadowing/page__st__100#entry3344734

To follow how Quentyn went maybe Viserion (and army) against Lannisters head on and Rhaegal (and army) sweeping in from behind, hammer and anvil style.

I'm sensing a pattern when it comes to Jon Snow and his love interests (maybe others have to):

He captures them, and then he lets them go. They come back and the romance progresses from there.

I'd also add

Val kissed him lightly on the cheek. "You have my thanks Lord Snow. For the half-blind horse, the salt cod, the free air. For hope." Their breath mingled, a white mist in the air.

As he [sigorn] leaned down to kiss her [Alys] cheek, their breath mingled.

The latter was from Sigorn and Alys's wedding, and this could foreshadow Val and Jon's wedding.

Her sister was queen why not her?

This foreshadows Val becoming a queen, and in that case who will be her king?

For an instant, the deep red clouds that crowned the western hills reminded him of Rhaegar’s children, all wrapped up in crimson cloaks.

This might be a foreshadowing of some bloodbath related to Targ vengeance. Which is not so surprising, the bigger question is if it will be Aegon, Dany or even Jon who is not especially vengeful but had shown at least some desire to destroy house Lannister.

She threw back the shutters and shivered as gooseprickles rose along her arms. There were clouds massing in the eastern sky. Sansa could see their walls of tumbled stone, their mighty keeps and barbicans. Wispy banners swirled from atop their towers and reached for the fast-fading stars. The sun was coming up behind them, and she watched them go from black to grey to a thousand shades of rose and gold and crimson. Soon the wind mushed them together, and there was only one castle where there had been two.

She heard the door open as her maids brought the hot water for her bath. They were both new to her service; Tyrion said the women who'd tended her previously had all been Cersei's spies, just as Sansa had always suspected. "Come see," she told them. "There's a castle in the sky."

They came to have a look. "It's made of gold." Shae had short dark hair and bold eyes. She did all that was asked of her, but sometimes she gave Sansa the most insolent looks. "A castle all of gold, there's a sight I'd like to see."

"A castle, is it?" Brella had to squint. "That tower's tumbling over, looks like. It's all ruins, that is."

This passage is at the start of the Sansa chapter that begins the purple wedding.

I guess it's general foreshadowing of the Lannister-Tyrell alliance. The two castles of rose, gold and crimson reaching for the stars and joining to become one, only to crumble into ruins. The Sun rising behind them may represent Dorne and there may be some symbolism in the wind.

Case 1: Jon captured or "stole" Ygritte and then he let her go. She comes back and flirts with him while he tries to ignore it in order to keep his vows. Eventually they initiated a romantic relationship anyway.

Case 2: Jon captured or "stole" Val and then he let her go (to find Tormund). She came back and was clearly flirting with him at their reunion while Jon's response was to ignore it because of his vows. I think we can safely assume what is going to happen between these two once he comes back....

Basically, if Jon captures any other women we should just automatically assume he will be doing the naughty with them at some point ;)

You forgot one more person, Melisandre. Even before Jon's assasination, she could not take her hands off Jon. Imagine how horny she would be once she finds/accepts that Jon Snow is the true AA and that she no longer has to put out for old, smelly boring Stannis. Instead she gets to do it with young, virile stud who is so hot that women literally begs to have sex with him. She would defintely be concocting some spell so that she and Jon could make some shadow babies together.

Arya screwed up her face in a scowl. "Jaime Lannister murdered Jory and Heward and Wyl, and the Hound murdered Mycah. Somebody should have beheaded them."

"It's not the same," Sansa said. "The Hound is Joffrey's sworn shield. Your butcher's boy attacked the prince."

"Liar," Arya said. Her hand clenched the blood orange so hard that red juice oozed between her fingers.

"Go ahead, call me all the names you want," Sansa said airily. "You won't dare when I'm married to Joffrey. You'll have to bow to me and call me Your Grace." She shrieked as Arya flung the orange across the table. It caught her in the middle of the forehead with a wet squish and plopped down into her lap.

"You have juice on your face, Your Grace," Arya said.

It was running down her nose and stinging her eyes. Sansa wiped it away with a napkin. When she saw what the fruit in her lap had done to her beautiful ivory silk dress, she shrieked again.

"You're horrible," she screamed at her sister. "They should have killed you instead of Lady!"

Septa Mordane came lurching to her feet. "Your lord father will hear of this! Go to your chambers, at once. At once!"

"Me too?" Tears welled in Sansa's eyes. "That's not fair."

"The matter is not subject to discussion. Go!"

Sansa stalked away with her head up. She was to be a queen, and queens did not cry. At least not where people could see. When she reached her bedchamber, she barred the door and took off her dress. The blood orange had left red stain on the silk. "I hate her!" she screamed. She balled up the dress and flung it onto the cold hearth, on top of the ashes of last night's fire. When she saw that the stain had bled through onto her underskirt, she began to sob despite herself. She ripped off the rest of her clothes wildly, threw herself into bed, and cried herself back to sleep.

It was midday when Septa Mordane knocked upon her door. "Sansa. Your lord father will see you now."

Sansa sat up. "Lady," she whispered. For a moment it was as if the direwolf was there in the room, looking at her with those golden eyes, sad and knowing. She had been dreaming, she realized. Lady was with her, and they were running together, and... and... trying to remember was like trying to catch the rain with her fingers. The dream faded, and Lady was dead again.

"Sansa." The rap came again, sharply. "Do you hear me?"

"Yes Septa," she called out. "Might I have a moment to dress, please?" Her eyes were red from crying, but she did her best to make herself beautiful.

Lord Eddard was bent over a huge leather-bound book when Septa Mordane marched her into the solar, his plaster-wrapped leg stiff beneath the table. "Come here, Sansa," he said, not unkindly, when the septa had gone for her sister. "Sit beside me." He closed the book.

Septa Mordane returned with Arya squirming in her grasp. Sansa had put on a lovely pale green damask gown and a look of remorse, but her sister was still wearing the ratty leathers and roughspun she'd worn at breakfast. "Here is the other one," the septa announced.

"My thatnks, Speta Mordane. I would talk to my daughters alone, if you would be so kind." The septa bowed and left.

"Arya started it," Sansa said quickly, anxious to have the first word. "She called me a liar and threw an orange at me and spoiled my dress, the ivory silk, the one Queen Cersei gave me when I was betrothed to Prince Joffrey. She hates that I'm going to marry the prince. She tries to spoil everything, Father, she can't stand for anything to be beautiful or nice or splendid."

"Enough, Sansa." Lord Eddard's voice was sharp with impatience.

Arya raised her eyes. "I'm sorry, Father. I was wrong and I beg my sweet sister's forgiveness."

Sansa was so startled that for a moment she was speechless.

I believe Arya will kill Sandor and that this passage is foreshadowing the event, Sansa's heartbreak and Arya's regret. I believe it will result in a reconciliation between the sisters.

If Arya had wanted to kill him because he had. I do not know how that could reconcile, would bring more pain between them.And it gave the dress the Queen, the blood stain is on that dress and petticoats.

Could you please rephrase? I'm interested in your point but I'm not quite sure what you're actually saying.

Last chapters in ADWD are plenty of foreshadowing

There is a chapter in which Victarion passes through the isles of monkeys and they all aboard the ship, when they find moquorro, all the monkeys jump off the ship, and moqorro himself is almost a monkey (no offense meant, but he has a beard that covers his face like a lion), this means that a very dark orangotangus scared away every little chimp away. That was pretty chatchy, but what it means, I dunno

/edit perhaps it is an indication towards Blackfyre arrival, every chimp that boarded the ship going to claim the throne, but when the dark fire (Blackfyre) arrived they all jumped off, meaning that when Aegon lands Westeros he is going to spread his little servants off, while he himself reserves to meet the Queen.

I haven't got back to DANCE for my reread yet, but is Moqorro described as a Summer Islander or is his skin burnt as some sort of R'hollor follower deal.

Archived