Aegon theory that I have not yet seen posted

Frey family reunion

I've seen numerous posts that Aegon is a Blackfyre decendant that Varys and Illyrio are passing off as Rhaegar's son. I admit that there is a lot going for that theory. The one problem I have with that theory is the prophecy in the House of the undying concerning a mummer's dragon. That would imply a fake dragon, and whether a decendant from Blackfyre or Targarean, the decendant would still be a dragon, as Illyrio told Tyrion, it doesn't matter whether the dragon is black or red. I have an alternate theory that would explain a lot of unanswered questions that have vexed me throughout the story.

We know that Rhaegar since he was a child was a voracious reader, and according to his correspondence with Aemon, he was very interested in the prophecy of the Prince that was Promised. I firmly believe that Rhaegar figured out the solution to the prophecy was (as the title series suggests) a song of both ice and fire. I believe that he knew the prophecy required the combining of a pure Valyrian (himself) with a pure decendant of the First Men (Lyanna Stark).

Unfortunately for Rhaegar, life got in the way, specifically an arranged marriage between himself and Elia Martel. By all accounts this was a loveless marriage (as Selmy recounts to Daenarys). This marriage also interferes with Rhaegar's fulfillment of the prophecy. The tournament at Harrenhal occurs (arranged by Oswell Whent btw) which allows Rhaegar to get in contact with Lyanna. Rhaegar's win in the tournament (a win of Arthur Dayne btw), gives him the opportunity to crown Lyanna as the Queen of love and beauty over his own wife. (A year later Rhaegar then abducts Lyanna tower of joy happens ect.)

George R.R. Martin would have us believe that sometime after this tournament Aegon is born and a red comet that occurred at the time of his conception made Rhaegar believe that Aegon was the prince that was promised. Hogwash, I say Rhaegar never believed that Aegon was the prince that was promised, in fact Rhaegar knew that Aegon wasn't even his kid.

Now who in Rhaegar's close circle would look enough like a Targarean to give Aerys little dragon looking grandchildren, while Rhaegar goes about fulfilling his prophecy? Why none other than Rhaegar's closest confindant (sorry Griff) Ser Arthur Dayne. Look at the description of other Dayne's throughout the book: Edric Dayne hair color of ash and eyes so blue they appear purple. The Darkstar: eyes of deep purple whose children would resemble dragon lords according to Arrianne Martell. Ashara Dayne, whose eyes looked so much like Daenary's that she could have passed for her mother. While Arthur Dayne is never described we can assume he looks like his relatives (i.e. he looks like a Targarean).

Why were three Kingsguards guarding the tower of joy and leaving baby Aegon unprotected to get his head bashed in by Ser Mountain? When Ned comes upon the Oswell Whent, Arthur Dayne, and Gerord Hightower, Aerys is dead, Rhaegar is dead, who the heck are the Kingsguard protecting? Rhaegar's mistress and their bastard??? You can't argue that they were just following orders at that point because Aery's would never have ordered them to do this. And Hightower the lord commander who just stood and watched while Aery's cooked several lords alive would not have followed an order from Rhaegar that Aery's would have objected to. The reason they were guarding the tower of joy was because they were guarding who they knew to be the rightful heir to the kingdom, Rhaegar's only actual son Jon Targarean (Snow). Arthur Dayne knew that Aegon wasn't Rhaegar's son (it was his), Oswell Whent was probably in on it because he was the one who arranged the Harrenhal tournament so Rhaegar could come into contact with Lyanna. The last person that they had to let in on the secret was Gerord Hightower their lord commander. He is convinced to do this because he becomes convinced of Jon's rightful place as heir to the throne. This is why they throwdown with Ned and his crew despite the knowledge that the war was over and Aerys and Rhaegar are no longer alive, they are still guarding the rightful king to the end.

Varys may or may not know of this secret, however, and he does his switcheroo and brings Aegon across the sea to Connington who is also not in on the secret. However, someone who very well may be aware of what is happening is one Ashara Dayne, the sister to Arthur Dayne. When Ned brings her Dawn, she knows that it is time to act, she fakes her death goes across the sea (probably toting Dawn) assumes the guise of Septa Lemore so she can help tutor her nephew and the child to her friend Elia.

When Tyrion first sees Aegon he notes that his eyes are a dark blue almost appearing purple. Go look to the description Arya has of Edric Dayne it is the same description. Aegon is the mummer's dragon, because while he appears Targarean, he is not nor is he even a descendant of Targarean's through the Blackfyre line.

If this has been posted before, I apologize to the original author, I just could not find this on my searches through the forum.

Good one! Could very well be true and don't think I've seen this elsewhere.

Of course, this doesn't mean that Aegon may not yet end up on the throne or that he may not turn out to be a good ruler. Ultimately, as Varys puts it, what matters is what people buy into.

I say Rhaegar never believed that Aegon was the prince that was promised, in fact Rhaegar knew that Aegon wasn't even his kid.

Clarify for me what you mean by this ...

Are saying that Elia's second child, the male, was not fathered by Rhaegar?

Are you suggesting Arthur Dayne fathered both of Elia's children as well as Lyanna's, all at Rhaegar's request? And Rhaegar fathered 0 children in his life?

Good one! Could very well be true and don't think I've seen this elsewhere.

Of course, this doesn't mean that Aegon may not yet end up on the throne or that he may not turn out to be a good ruler. Ultimately, as Varys puts it, what matters is what people buy into.

I have a problem with the weight attached to that Varys quote, as if it's some ultimate truth. Anyone could write a book tomorrow and have some character melodramatically declare that

"Power resides around those inividuals who form a nexus for the energies of the ninth and 13th dimensions to intersect". That wouldn't suddenly make it true.

Personally, I think Varys's quote is stupid. A hundred thousand Westerosi may believe that the High Septon has power, but Bloodraven - who has no one believing in his power, could send a warged hawk tomorrow to rip his jugular out.

Or a nameless Faceless Man could slit his throat in his room tonight, despite all these people believing in his power.

Who has the power then?

Far from being profound, I think Varys's quote is grand nonsense, to be honest.

So, are Elia and Arthur were in love and having an affair? Or was this a one time thing? I'm trying to figure out why they would have a kid together.

Well, clearly Elia and Rhaegar weren't in love. So either Elia was never in love in her life, or she was in love with someone other than Rhaegar.

Well, clearly Elia and Rhaegar weren't in love. So either Elia was never in love in her life, or she was in love with someone other than Rhaegar.

Sure, OK. Dunno, Arthur Dayne is supposed to be honor made flesh, I think I'm struggling with the idea that he'd have an affair with his best friend's wife. I can just imagine Rhaegar giving him permission to have sex with his wife, strikes me as a very awkward conversation.

Sure, OK. Dunno, Arthur Dayne is supposed to be honor made flesh, I think I'm struggling with the idea that he'd have an affair with his best friend's wife. I can just imagine Rhaegar giving him permission to have sex with his wife, strikes me as a very awkward conversation.

Just one of the many contradictions Martin loves to build into his characters. The most honourable man has a weakness, a source of internal strife and conflict. We have many references to previous Kingsguard knights falling in love with their Queens.

Heck, Jaime goes into some detail to discuss one such occurrence with Loras, when reviewing the White Book. Can't remember who he was referring to, but it was some ancient Kingsguard who fell in love with his Queen, and died for it.

All leading up to some big revelation on Arthur Dayne, perhaps?

And if Elia was like her brother Oberyn and inclined to affairs than people may have even more sympathy for Rhaegar if he realized a prophecy and then fell in love with Lyanna because his wife was pulling a Dornish, having an affair, and doing things behind his back.

We just hear the tragedy of this poor mother and her children, we don't know her personally, but we do know that some Martells have the roving eye and pants that drop.

And we do know their marriage was arranged and sometimes love doesn't happen. They might have just gotten along well, but Rhaegars seemed to be a romantic and a dreamer, into music and crap, and maybe passionate and so are the fiery Dornish.

Oh, and look at Oakheart. Kingsguard, it tore him to pieces, but he loved Arianne and did have an affair with her.

And if Elia was like her brother Oberyn and inclined to affairs than people may have even more sympathy for Rhaegar if he realized a prophecy and then fell in love with Lyanna because his wife was pulling a Dornish and doing things behind his back.

We just hear the tragedy of this poor mother and her children, we don't know her personally, but we do know that some Martells have the roving eye and pants that drop.

And we do know their marriage was arranged and sometimes love doesn't happen. They might have just gotten along well, but Rhaegars seemed to be a romantic and a dreamer, into music and crap, and maybe passionate and so are the fiery Dornish.

It would also legitimize Rhaegar's actions with Lyanna far more, if Elia was having an affair behind his back.

Yeah. I think I could have said it better. But Rhaegar comes out looking even better if it is true.

And it could explain some of the mysterious Dayne stuff going on.

Or if Ashara did lose a baby, she might feel she wants to protect her brother's.

And maybe loving babies made her feel the need to help Ned protect the infant Jon and offer a wetnurse, because why the hell was there an available wetnurse at Starfall?

Edric was born after Jon Snow.

I must point out that though Tyrion noticed YG's purple eyes, he doesn't make a similar observation about Septa Lennore-nor does he speculate that she may be his mother, a conclusion he would've considered at least if they had the same eyes and you take into account her stretch marks.

I too believe that there probably never was a real Aegon son of Rhaegar, but I have a different theory.

Ashara and Elia knew each other and were probably friends, they were according to Selmy pregnant roughly around the same time, Ashara's child was supposedly stillborn girl, but I think that the dead girl was in truth Elia's and children were switched because being barren with only one female child would put Elia into very unpleasant situation. I think that Rhaegar learned that and it was final straw that drove Rhaegar to Lyanna.

Though I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Elia had other love interests besides Rhaegar.

And Rhaenys did look Dornish. Now there were Targs that necessarily did not have the look, but I think most did have some form of blue-purple shades of eyes and some form of light/blonde/silver hair.

That misconception thread that is excellent is around here somewhere and someone listed older Targs and their colorings.

Archived