how many seasons will GoT go on for?

Ned of Winterfell

Would it be reasonable to consider that they might arrange events chronologically and not necessarily book by book? This is what they did with the LotR trilogy and would at least keep audiences interested in characters that would otherwise be absent for a series or two (AFfC for example)....And honestly, I would happily see Dany's crusade abbreviated!

A lot of it could depend on the success of S3, and judging by the source material it should be the best yet and will definatly leave viewers desperate for season 4. That being said... Season 4 could be filmed alongside S3 and broadcast as soon as a few months after S3 (to keep interest high). With Season 3&4 out before 2014. Of course there is the possibility that Season 5/6 take a turn of its own and close the story YEARS before GRRM even finishes his tale. I just hope HBO are not influencing his hand too much.

My expectations (which are always wrong):

Season 1, 2011 (A Game of Thrones)

Season 2, 2012 (A Clash of Kings)

Season 3, 2013 (A Storm of Swords, PART I)

Season 4, 2014 (A Storm of Sword, PART II)

Season 5, 2015 (A Feast for Crows & A Dance with Dragons, PART I)

Season 6, 2016 (A Feast for Crows & A Dance with Dragons, PART II)

Season 7, 2017 (The Winds of Winter, PART I) *

Season 8, 2018 (The Winds of Winter, PART II) *

Season 9, 2019 (A Dream of Spring, PART I) *

Season 10, 2020 (A Dream of Spring, PART II) *

*Depending on the length of the book, and Martin's writing process (Winds won't be out until at least 2014, so they have to do two seasons of Feast and Dance), and of course whether HBO wants to go that far.

Winds won't be out until at least 2014, so they have to do two seasons of Feast and Dance),

They HAVE to? Should they? Should they compromise the quality of the series and the pacing and structure of the seasons just to give Martin enought time? How much time? How can they know when the books will be released/how many books will Martin need to finish the series?

A lot of it could depend on the success of S3, and judging by the source material it should be the best yet and will definatly leave viewers desperate for season 4.

Bear in mind that a season starts being written before the previous one starts being aired. This is needed in order to leave time for preproduction and start shooting at time. So they haven't got the possibility to write one season taking into account the feedback on the previous one.

Season 4 could be filmed alongside S3 and broadcast as soon as a few months after S3 (to keep interest high).

Too late for this. Filming of S3 is going to end in a month or so.

They HAVE to? Should they? Should they compromise the quality of the series and the pacing and structure of the seasons just to give Martin enought time? How much time? How can they know when the books will be released/how many books will Martin need to finish the series?

They have to ...

• ... wait for Winds and spend more time on Storm, Feas and Dance.
  • ... wait for Winds and create their own material.
  • ... wait for Winds and temporary stop the show when they run out of material.

Anyway, I believe there's enough material in Storm for two seasons, and enough material in Feast and Dance combined for two seasons without compromising the quality of the show (they can for, example extend, the Dornish-story).

They have to ...

• ... wait for Winds and spend more time on Storm, Feas and Dance.
  • ... wait for Winds and create their own material.
  • ... wait for Winds and temporary stop the show when they run out of material.

Anyway, I believe there's enough material in Storm for two seasons, and enough material in Feast and Dance combined for two seasons without compromising the quality of the show (they can for, example extend, the Dornish-story).

I suggest you try to outline how each storyline is going to progress during seasons 3-6 and I'm sure you'll find out that you run out of material for several of the chracaters. Furthermore, you end up creating seasons without any satisfying arc, climax or meaningful character interaction.

No,they can't eternally wait for Winds (and Dreams), hoping that it won't take another 5 years for Martin to write it. And no, they can't streach out materail that is already non-TV friendly enough. The audience will want the resolution of the storylines that were presented and promised since season 1.

I suggest you try to outline how each storyline is going to progress during seasons 3-6 and I'm sure you'll find out that you run out of material for several of the chracaters. Furthermore, you end up creating seasons without any satisfying arc, climax or meaningful character interaction.

No,they can't eternally wait for Winds (and Dreams), hoping that it won't take another 5 years for Martin to write it. And no, they can't streach out materail that is already non-TV friendly enough. The audience will want the resolution of the storylines that were presented and promised since season 1.

I already did that while season 2 was still on-air. Here.

Let's take a look at Storm, Feast & Dance and their major plotlines, and the distribution of them over the course of the upcoming seasons.

Firstly, Clash/Season 2, predicting the ending of the storyline in the tv-show.

• Tyrion - based on the last episode summary 'Tyrion awakens to a changed situation' Tyrion his arc ends the same as in the books. He wakes up from the Battle of Blackwater, hearing that they won and his place as Hand has been taken by his father. Cersei and Joffrey their arc will end the same way aswell, probably having Margaery engaged to Joffrey by the end of the season, to end her arc aswell.
  • Arya - based on the last episode summary 'Arya receives a gift from Jaqen' she gets the coin from Jaqen. Afterwards she'll most likely escape from Harrenhall with Gendry and Hot Pie.
  • Jon Snow - based on the last episode summary 'Jon proves himself to Qhorin' his story ends the same, joining Rattleshirt, Ygritte and the other Wildlings after he murdered Qhorin.
  • Sansa - the episode summary says nothing about Sansa. But her story could end the same as in the book, Dontos promising her he'll rescue her. I think it'll happen, otherwise they introduced Dontos for no reason.
  • Bran - basing on info that the last scene that was shot for the season, with Bran, Rickon, Osha, Hodor and Luwin, it'll end the same as the books.
  • Catelyn - the scene from A Man Without Honor with Brienne and Jaime is Catelyn's last scene from Clash, they'll put some of the Brienne and Jaime chapters from Storm in Season 2. Based on the last episode summary 'Brienne silences Jaime' the end the season with their sword fight. Also, they're extending the love relationship with Robb and Jeyne.
  • Theon - either way they're postponing the Sack to Season 3 or they have an armoured and helmed knight (Ramsay) sack Winterfell in the final episode, ending Theon's arc the same as in the books, his faith remaining unknown.
  • Daenerys - based on the last episode summary 'Dany goes to a strange place' they let Dany visit the House of the Undying in the final episode. Therefore moving the later chapter with Barristan to the next season.
  • Davos - we have no idea how they're going to end his arc this season, either way him drowning, sitting on a rock, or returning to Dragonstone with Stannis.
  • Chett - based on the first preview the three horn blasts are in this season, most likely ending season 2 with the prologue of Storm, a cliffhanger for Sam, Jeor and the other Night's Watch members.

Secondly, Storm/Season 3 (2013)

• Arya - her travels through the Riverrlands with Gendry and Hot Pie, her capture by the Broterhood without Banners (introducing Beric, Thoros, etc), her kidnap by Sandor, ending her arc with ambiguous death at the Red Wedding.
  • Jon Snow - meeting up with Mance, and the other major wildlings, his mission with Styr, the events at Queenscrow (most likely E7 Autumn Winds), ending the season with his escape from the wildlings.
  • Catelyn - her house arrest at Riverrun, introduction of Edmure, Brynden and Hoster, ending the season with her and Robb's death at the Red Wedding.
  • Jaime - his travels through the Riverrlands with Brienne, his hand being chopped off, ending the season with being released from Harrenhall and his journey to Kings' Landing.
  • Tyrion - King's Landin scenes with Tywin, Joffrey, Sansa, Cersei, arrival and introduction of Oberyn (and Mace), ending his arc with his marriage to Sansa.
  • Sansa - her scenes with the Tyrells (introducing more of them to the plot, Olena for example) and Dontos, ending her arc with her marriage to Tyrion.
  • Davos - saved from the rock, planning to kill Melisandre, trying to learn to read, ending his arc with his imprisonment.
  • Daenerys - meeting up with Barristan, travelling to Slaver's Bay, conquering Astapor and Yunkai, ending her arc infront of the gates of Mereen.
  • Samwell - flee from the Fist, becoming Slayer, retreat to Craster's Keep, murder of Jeor and Craster, flee with Gilly and her baby to Whitetree, rescue by Coldhands.
  • Bran - flee from Winterfell, meeting up with Jojen and Meera, Queenscrow, ending his arc at the gate of the Nightfort with Samwell, Gilly and Coldhands.

Thirdly, Storm/Season 4 (2014)

• Arya - travels with Sandor, Saltpans, ending her arc with Valar Morghulis on the Titan's Daughter.
  • Jon Snow - battle for Castle Black, imprisonment by Alliser and Janos, negotiations with Mance, suprise attack by Stannis, ending his arc with his promotion to commandor of the Night's Watch.
  • Jaime - arrival at Kings Landing, sex with Cersei infront of Joffrey's corpse, giving Oathkeeper to Brienne and sending her on a quest for Sansa and Arya, ending his arc with releasing Tyron.
  • Tyrion - Joffrey's wedding, imprisonment by Cersei, trial by combat (death of Oberyn and Gregor), escape by Jaime and Varys, murder of Tywin, ending his arc on a boat across the Narrow Sea.
  • Sansa - escape from King's Landing during the Purple Wedding by Dontos and Littlefinger, retreat to the Vale, becoming Alayne, ending her arc with the murder of Lysa.
  • Davos - learning to read, rescueing Edric, sending Stannis to the Wall, ending his arc at the Wall.
  • Daenerys - conquering Mereen, banishing Jorah, ending her arc when she decides to stay and rule in Mereen.
  • Samwell - return to Castle Black, ending his arc by helping Jon to become commander of the Night's Watch.
  • Bran - his travels north of the Wall withColdhands, Jojen, Meera and Hodor.
  • Merret - ending the season with his prologue, and the return of Catelyn.

One problem that occurs is the following: where are the Greyjoys? I don't think they won't show AshaYara, Balon and Theon for two seasons. Solution?

• Theon - a few scenes spread over the seasons of him slowly transforming into Reek, introduction of Ramsay.
  • Yara - at Torrhen's Square, returning to Pyke after she hears the new about her father and his brothers.
  • Balon - introduction of Victaron, sending his brother to Moat Cailin, ending his arc with his death.
  • Victarion - introduced on Pyke, perhaps some interaction with Yara at Torrhen's Square, interaction with the Crannogman at Moat Cailin, returning to Pyke when he hears the news about Euron.
  • Euron - returning to Pyke after Balon's death, interaction with Euron and Aeron.
  • Aeron - introduced on Pyke, calling out the Kingsmoot.

Introduction to the remaining Greyjoys in Season 3 and Season 4is crucial for the story, doing it this way (ending their arc with calling out the Kingsmoot) would probably work.

Fourtly, Feast and Dance/Season 5 (2015)

• Theon - events at the Dreadfort, peace negotiations at Moat Cailing with the Iron Born, ending the season with his arrival at Winterfell.
  • Jon Snow - interactions with Stannis, sending Samwell and Gilly away (including the babyswap), allowing the wildlings through the Wall, ending his arc with the bruning of fake Mance, sending the real one to Winterfell to save his sisters.
  • Bran - travels through the Lands of Always Winter, ending his arc with his arrival at Bloodraven's cave.
  • Davos - leaving the Wall to White Harbour with Saladhor, events at the Sisters, arrival at White Harbour, ending his arc with his imprisonment by Wyman. He's faith will remain ambiguos, sinceCersei will have his death confirmed.
  • Brienne - her travels through the Riverlands, her capture by Stoneheart, ending her arc with her ambiguous death.
  • Cersei - her failures in Kings' Landing building up to her imprisonment by the Faith.
  • Jaime - Tywin's funeral, leaving King's Landing to retake Riverrun, negotiations with Brynden, ending his arc as he retakes Riverrun.
  • Sansa - her transformation to Alayne, including other events at the Vale with Littlefinger.
  • Aeron - organising the Kingsmoot, afterwards he dissapears.
  • Victaron - taking part at the Kingsmoot, raiding the Shield Islands on Euron's command, ending his arc with being send after Daenerys.
  • Yara - taking part at the Kingsmoot, leaving for Torrhen's Square after the Kingsmoot, ending her arc as she's captured by Stannis.
  • Arianne - her schemes to crown Myrcella, imprisonment by Doran, ending her arc by revealing of Doran's plans and setting up Quentyn's story for the next season.
  • Aero - introduction to Doran, there's a chance he won't even be cast.
  • Samwell - his travels on the boat from the Wall to Braavos to Oldtown, including the death of Aemon, ending his arc upon his arrival at the Citadel.
  • Tyrion - flee from Westeros, arrival at Pentos, interaction with Illyrio, introduction to Griff, Young Griff and the rest of the crew, travels to Volantis, ending his arc as he's being captured by Jorah.
  • Daenerys - her interactions with the people at Mereen, the Harpy, the Green Grace, ending his arc with her marriage to Hizdahr.
  • Pate - his prologue can appear before Samwell makes it to the Citadel, no need to do this at the beginning of the season.

Finally, Feast and Dance/Season 6 (2016)

• Theon - the Jeyne and Ramsay wedding, the events with Mance and his spearwives, escape from Winterfell, ending his arc as he is captured by Stannis.
  • Jon Snow - arrival of Alys, events building up to his assassination, ending his arc with his ambiguous death.
  • Bran - introduction of the Children of the Forest and Bloodraven.
  • Davos - release by Wyman, send to Skagos to get Rickon back, ending his arc on a boat or at Skagos.
  • Cersei - imprisonment by the Faith, and her Walk of Shame, ending her arc with a dinner with Kevan and Tommen.
  • Jaime - retaking Raventree Hall, ending his arc when he leaves with Brienne.
  • Sansa - a few scenes at the Vale with Littlefinger, ending her arc with her engaged to Harry the Heir.
  • Victaron - his travels to Slaver's Bay, introduction of Moqorro, ending his arc before the attack on Slaver's Bay.
  • Yara - her imprisonment by Stannis, ending her arc when she sees Theon again.
  • Quentyn - his travels from Volantis to Mereen, arrival at Mereen, interaction with Daenerys, scheming to steal one of the dragons, ending his arc with his demise.
  • Arianne - a few scenes in Dorne with Doran revealing his plans to let the Sand Snake's go to King's Landing, ending her arc when she's send to Aegon.
  • Tyrion - travels with Jorah, capture by the slavers, sold to Yezzan, escape from Yezzan, ending his arc with his plans to switch sides with the Second Sons.
  • Daenerys - events at Mereen, interactions with Quentyn, disappearance from Mereen on Drogon's back, ending her arc identical to the books.
  • Barristan - preparing for the war against Yunkai after Daenerys' disappearance,
  • Jon Connigton - arrival at Westeros with Aegon, conquering of Griffin's Roost and his march toward Storm's End.

Like this it gives George 4 more years to finish Winds. Probably D&D will do it differently than this, but this is my take on the future progression of the HBO series.

I'm not trying to say this is the best way to do the next seasons, but I simply want to show that there's enough material for 10-episode seasons. Of course, some seasons are less exciting that the previous, but they are necessery for the next books. Hell, they could even use the 'lack of material' to tell more history (Robert's Rebellion, Mad King, Tourney at Harrenhall, Lyanna, Rhaegar, etc, etc).

If you want it or not, they can not continue without Winds. If you like it or not, they have to stretch out stuff.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the show will almost certainly use material that we only hear about in the books, giving some of the more problematic characters additional material to work with, without having to outright invent new material for them (which is also a strong possibility, and could help with some of the pacing issues D&D are going to run into with certain characters).

As long as the show remains popular, it will continue to stay on the air. It's HBO's best-selling show of all time internationally, and it's their third-highest series of all time where the ratings are concerned. Compound that with the fact that the DVD/BluRay sales were spectacular for season one, and that the GoT merchandise sells extremely well, and...

I'm not trying to say this is the best way to do the next seasons, but I simply want to show that there's enough material for 10-episode seasons.

I thing that people who defend to compress the adaptation in less seasons are not arguing that "there's not enough material". Their main point is that the seasons would become a mixture of multiple sepparate storylines, with little screentime for the perceived protagonists of the show, and with few significant plot turns within the season itself. I think that your suggested breakdown actually supports this view.

Bran could be the clearest example. You suggest to have him the entire season 3 walking through the North. Then in season 4 he'd walk beyond the Wall (the same, only more snowy). Next year, for the whole season 5, he'd still be walking beyond the Wall until the last episode.

IMHO, if they want to do your proposed Storm+Feast+Dance=4 seasons they have only two options.

1) Add material. In this example, let Bran get involved in feuds between the mountain clans, or let him be kidnapped by the oathbreakers at Crasters. [The problem with this one is that viewers may feel that the story goes nowhere, and also, the orginal material has usually been the weakest from the show so far]

2) Forget about the characters a lot. Do not show Bran for a whole season, or show him only one or two episodes per season. [The problem: viewers may forget what some of the characters are doing, and may complain that the story shifts its focus from the main characters to the new additions]

I think everyone needs to remember that, so far, the whole series is building up to three things:

1. The attack of the wildlings
  2. The attack of the Others
  3. The invasion of Daenerys

After seasons three and four, the series no longer builds up to the attack of the wildlings, but the other two are still important. If AFFC and ADWD cover two seasons, then season six ends with the Others and Dany no closer to invading Westeros than they were at the end of seasons three and four. That's bad storytelling. Dany needs to spend at least two seasons in Westeros, or else her early story seems totally irrelevant.

With that in mind, here's my proposal for Dany's story over the rest of the series:

• Season three: Meeting Barristan, sailing to Slaver's Bay, Dracarys, taking Yunkai, and Mysha
  • Season four: Travelling to Meereen, developing the relationship with Daario, taking Meereen, banishing Jorah, chaining the dragons
  • Season five: her ADWD material, although I'd focus less on the politics of Meereen and more of her on a personal level and how she deals with ruling. Episode 8 would hopefully include her flee on Drogon, the following episode Quentyn's death, and the finale could be the Battle of Fire and Dany's epiphany. Or, in contrast, they could change the events of the season so that Dany encounters Tyrion, Jorah, Victarion, Marwyn and Moqorro by the finale.
  • Season six: TWoW material - heading to Westeros and the conflicts that arise (particularly the dance of the dragons part two that has been promised us).

I think everyone needs to remember that, so far, the whole series is building up to three things:

After seasons three and four, the series no longer builds up to the attack of the wildlings, but the other two are still important. If AFFC and ADWD cover two seasons, then season six ends with the Others and Dany no closer to invading Westeros than they were at the end of seasons three and four. That's bad storytelling. Dany needs to spend at least two seasons in Westeros, or else her early story seems totally irrelevant.

With that in mind, here's my proposal for Dany's story over the rest of the series:

• Season three: Meeting Barristan, sailing to Slaver's Bay, Dracarys, taking Yunkai, and Mysha
  • Season four: Travelling to Meereen, developing the relationship with Daario, taking Meereen, banishing Jorah, chaining the dragons
  • Season five: her ADWD material, although I'd focus less on the politics of Meereen and more of her on a personal level and how she deals with ruling. Episode 8 would hopefully include her flee on Drogon, the following episode Quentyn's death, and the finale could be the Battle of Fire and Dany's epiphany. Or, in contrast, they could change the events of the season so that Dany encounters Tyrion, Jorah, Victarion, Marwyn and Moqorro by the finale.
  • Season six: TWoW material - heading to Westeros and the conflicts that arise (particularly the dance of the dragons part two that has been promised us).

About your S5 outline, I don't there's any way that all the stuff going from Dany leaving Meereen to the battle of fire can be done in 2 episodes. The the rest of the Meereen stuff from DWD after Dany leaves would take up 3 episodes alone. And we have no idea how the battle of fire is panning out but the build up and conclusion could easily take several episodes worth of material.

S3: Gets an army

S4: Learns how to conquer

S5: Learns how to rule and manages dragon riding

S6: Ready to head to Westeros

It all still builds towards Dany's invasion. I'll really have to see how things all fit after I've finished mapping out the seasons.

I thing that people who defend to compress the adaptation in less seasons are not arguing that "there's not enough material". Their main point is that the seasons would become a mixture of multiple sepparate storylines, with little screentime for the perceived protagonists of the show, and with few significant plot turns within the season itself. I think that your suggested breakdown actually supports this view.

Bran could be the clearest example. You suggest to have him the entire season 3 walking through the North. Then in season 4 he'd walk beyond the Wall (the same, only more snowy). Next year, for the whole season 5, he'd still be walking beyond the Wall until the last episode.

IMHO, if they want to do your proposed Storm+Feast+Dance=4 seasons they have only two options.

1) Add material. In this example, let Bran get involved in feuds between the mountain clans, or let him be kidnapped by the oathbreakers at Crasters. [The problem with this one is that viewers may feel that the story goes nowhere, and also, the orginal material has usually been the weakest from the show so far]

2) Forget about the characters a lot. Do not show Bran for a whole season, or show him only one or two episodes per season. [The problem: viewers may forget what some of the characters are doing, and may complain that the story shifts its focus from the main characters to the new additions]

I agree, certainly, but they can't do a Winds season before the book is out right? So either way Martin has to hurry the fuck up (which seems unlikely at this pace) or they create a Winds season (spoiling everything for the book-readers)... Look, if Martin finishes the book in 2014, there won't be no pacing problems (since they don't have to stretch stuff), but keep in mind that we need the book before they can adapt it. And again, I don't think it's good to have Bran wandering the North for two entire seasons, but hell, we can't just leave him out for an entire season (like in the books).

She can't go to Westeros earlier than she goes in the books. Wouldn't make any sense, and would probably fuck up the events later on.

WHY WAS I NOT WARNED ABOUT SPOILERS IN THE THREAD TITLE?!!!!!!!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to be an asshole (what were you spoiled for?), but it was pretty clear that we were talking about the future of the show (including the story-arcs). But sorry, hope we didn't ruin your experience, BLAME IT ON THE OP!

HBO is pretty predictable, but also very cold. They're not afraid of shivving die-hard fans between the ribs and leaving us for dead. They did it to me on Rome and Deadwood, I wouldn't be surprised if they did it again. As long as Game of Thrones is making money and keeping people interested, it'll likely go on... Probably. Rome was still doing well and they just panicked because of how expensive it was to produce. Game of Thrones doesn't look too cheap, either, which worries me. I know True Blood is just garbage and on season six, but True Blood looks a lot less expensive. Modern settings, modern clothes, bit of CGI... nothing like the world-building undertaking of Game of Thrones. Entourage went long, too, but again, modern and hyper popular. Game of Thrones is closer to Rome... so it worries me.

HBO is pretty predictable, but also very cold. They're not afraid of shivving die-hard fans between the ribs and leaving us for dead. They did it to me on Rome and Deadwood, I wouldn't be surprised if they did it again. As long as Game of Thrones is making money and keeping people interested, it'll likely go on... Probably. Rome was still doing well and they just panicked because of how expensive it was to produce. Game of Thrones doesn't look too cheap, either, which worries me. I know True Blood is just garbage and on season six, but True Blood looks a lot less expensive. Modern settings, modern clothes, bit of CGI... nothing like the world-building undertaking of Game of Thrones. Entourage went long, too, but again, modern and hyper popular. Game of Thrones is closer to Rome... so it worries me.

Didn't they cancel Rome because the set burned down accidently? But I agree GoT is very expensive and there will be at least 30-50 characers in season 5, this could be to much

Archived