248 replies to this topic

#1 kissdbyfire

kissdbyfire

anyị ga-agaghịkwa na gị niile ịnyị

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

We now know a Westeros exclusive Q&A/interview will happen, only it won't be right now. And that's excellent, because it gives us the chance to polish our questions. So this thread is dedicated to questions we'd like to see answered. We can discuss them until we find a good format/wording, debate their merits, and then submit them and vote here.

Instead of complaining that GRRM doesn’t give anything away, let’s put our thinking caps on and come up with some interesting questions for him, like our friends at asshai.com did.
If you're reading this and are going to attend WorldCon or Bubonicon, browse the questions here and at google moderator. If you see a question you find really interesting, feel free to ask it if you can.

The two recent interviews that got this ball rolling can be found here and here. The first is the asshai.com interview/Q&A; the latter is part of a longer interview for www.fantasymundo. When the second part of the fantasymundo interview is posted and translated, it will be linked at the SSM section and here.
The questions from the previous thread are listed below, within the spoiler tags to save space.

Spoiler

Edited by kissdbyfire, 29 August 2012 - 07:05 AM.

#2 Cat of the Canal Girl

Cat of the Canal Girl

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

Does HBO use CGI to generate the images of Dany's dragons, or do they work with live dragons on the set for those scenes?

#3 Liar

Liar

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

Does HBO use CGI to generate the images of Dany's dragons, or do they work with live dragons on the set for those scenes?

Chaeck out season 1 extras, they use Australian winged geckos.

No, seriously? let's not go down that path plz lol

P.s. When is Worldcon going to happen? did it happen already? with all the SSM updates I see posted on the general forum

#4 kissdbyfire

kissdbyfire

• Members
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

Chaeck out season 1 extras, they use Australian winged geckos.

No, seriously? let's not go down that path plz lol

P.s. When is Worldcon going to happen? did it happen already? with all the SSM updates I see posted on the general forum

Yeah, it was last weekend. I haven't been able to go through everything yet.

#5 Lykos

Lykos

You can visit my forest again

• Members
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

Maybe we could trick Martin into an involuntary giveaway by asking, "Is Illyrio planting a cuckoo´s Egg (all possible puns intended) on the Iron Throne?"
Ah, no forget it. I think he´s been asked too often wether Aegon is real and I don´t really want to know yet, either.

#6 Ermines and Sable

Ermines and Sable

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

I'd like to know which fields of study the maesters' chain links stand for, other than the ones we already know.

Edited by Ermines and Sable, 06 September 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#7 Devaki Khanna

Devaki Khanna

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:06 AM

Is the High Septon who imprisons Cersei based on a medieval/Renaissance reformer, such as Girolamo Savonarola? I'm impressed by the fact that he's been chosen by what appear to be the ordinary village septons of the riverlands/crownlands (the poor sparrows). Again, a very interesting reference to St. Francis of Assisi and Sister Sparrow.

At the end of AFfc, Petyr Baelish appears to be very certain that his plot to wed Sansa to Harry will succeed. She is already married to Tyrion Lannister, whose first wife Tysha disappeared after his father had half a barrack of Lannister guardsmen (and his own teenage son) rape her. Was Tyrion's marriage to Tysha formally dissolved or was it declared null and void despite the consummation, because the groom was underage (he was thirteen, she was fourteen, or so she said)? If not, what impact does it have on Sansa's marriage to Tyrion? She does ask him about his first wife in ASoS. Does Petyr. who appears to be familiar with the details of the incident, know where Tysha is? Is that why he's so confident he can get Sansa's marriage to Tyrion dissolved? Or does he hope Tyrion will turn up dead somewhere? Does he even plan to wed Sansa to Harry or is this just another ploy to get her involved in his plot to kill Sweetrobin?

#8 BloodCraven

BloodCraven

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

A am new here and i basically just signed up to post this question that I have been thinking about since I re-read the series.

In ADwD Barristan thinks to himself about Robert that "If I had seen him smile over the red ruins of Rhaegar’s children, no army on this earth could have stopped me from killing him." To me it seems that this rage is very deep and not present in his everyday life of calm and measured personality. Even when he fights Hizdahr's guard it seems that he is performing a dance or something, with respect for his opponent and without any ill intention or anger at his opponent. We saw a little of it when he was dismissed by Joffrey, but he didn't loose it and it didn't seem as intense. I therefore wonder if we will ever see him unleash that kind of rage or if there has been a point where he fought that way? (Maybe at Duskendale?) Is there anything left that he cares about so much that he could get that angry?

I would very much like to read a POV with him fighting with that kind of rage either real-time1 (maybe, let's say, Daario betrays Daenerys) and he singlehandedly decides to take on the Second Sons or in the past.

1 I'm not sure if he cares enough about Daenerys (or anything else) for him to get so angry as to take on an army. But that would also be an interesting discussion, how much love and hate is left of the old man?

Edited by BloodCraven, 07 September 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#9 Devaki Khanna

Devaki Khanna

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:38 AM

Some more questions:

Re: Rickard Stark's southron ambitions, which Barbrey Ryswell mentions in ADwD--what exactly were these ambitions? He began by arranging matches for at least two children--Brandon and Lyanna--with scions of southron houses. Was this an attempt to gain allies in the south, in case the NW and the Northmen had to face wildling attacks or attacks by wights and Others? Or was he trying to do a Simon de Montfort--create a group of great lords (Stark, Tully, Arryn and Baratheon) who could check the power of the Iron Throne, whether embodied in the person of a Targaryen ruler or his Hand? Or did he (taking into account the recent revelation that Torrhen Stark's brother, Brandon, had wanted to kill the dragons and the Targaryens) want to remove the Targaryen yoke? Barbrey believed this plan originated with Maester Walys--did the latter live long enough to confide it to Maester Luwin and Benjen Stark, to be eventually discussed with Ned?

Petyr Baelish--his accounting system must really be confusing if Tyrion, who is almost as clever as him, cannot get the hang of it. Unless Petyr's doing an Enron--taking money from one enterprise and putting it into another. Is he keeping some of it for his own use?

#10 Pod The Impaler

Pod The Impaler

In The Mouth Of Starkness

• Members
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

When will we hear more about Daenerys' mother Rhaella ?
Given her history and everything that Daenerys has experienced in the story, how come Dany never seems to think about her own mother ?
Is Daenerys more like her mother than she is like her father ?

#11 greygnarl

greygnarl

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

When you write how often do you think about adding clues to later happenings in the story. Any examples of things that already have been revealed? Anything readers haven't caught onto yet that has already been revealed?

If the Braavosi hate dragons than why would the Sealord sign as a witness for the bethrothal contract of Viserys and Arianne.

#12 kissdbyfire

kissdbyfire

• Members
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

If the Braavosi hate dragons than why would the Sealord sign as a witness for the bethrothal contract of Viserys and Arianne.

'Keep reading.' /tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

#13 msheafer33

msheafer33

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

Will Dany invade Westeros in Book 6?

(I know he normally does not answer "spoiler" type questions. But he has already told us that Dany will invade Westeros in Book 4; then he retracted this and said she would invade in Book 5; which turned out not to be the case; most now expect her to finally invade in Book 6).

#14 Book Eight

Book Eight

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

I'd like to know if GRRM ever conceived that each prophecy mentioned (or alluded to) in every book should be fulfilled in its entirety, concurrently with every other prophecy.
With a tidy little bow on each literal interpetation of each prophecy. Before the end of the series.

#15 Walder Waters

Walder Waters

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

Do weirwood trees change colour or loose leaves in winter? Or is it the time they acutally bloom?

Edited by Walder Waters, 29 September 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#16 Fwaatcha

Fwaatcha

Immature, Rude Idiot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

Who was the 3rd person to stab Jon Snow?

#17 Bolivar

Bolivar

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

So many of those questions are practically asking for him to spoil the next books. Please don't waste time or ruin a westeros.org interview by asking them, I'm sure he doesn't want to hear it...

#18 SimonSez

SimonSez

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

Before the writing of the series, have you had a sketched out skeleton plot that you planned on seeing through or has it gone through a few changes since the 1990s?

Do you or have you changed plot points due to fans' discussions on how the series will progress/end?

After what I judge to be a mixed response to the scrapping of the 5 year gap in AFFC and DwD, are you glad you continued with the linear movement of the first 3 books?

If GoT is still on the air in a number of years and if you have yet to finish the series, would you wish the series to continue by giving plot points to the GoT production/writing team, or would you want them to wait for the final books to come out?

#19 Crown

Crown

just another soldier on a road to nowhere

• Banned
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Do you or have you changed plot points due to fans' discussions on how the series will progress/end?

He already answered that quite a lot. The answer is no.

#20 TheMysteriousOne

TheMysteriousOne

Stan of Daenerys

• Members
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

The question about the Targs being exiled from Valyria has been answered. They weren't.