Why I love Victarion Greyjoy.

Edmund Snow

"Not long after that Kerwin had come creeping to the captain to complain that four of the crew had dragged him belowdecks and used him as a woman. "Here is how you put an end to that," Victarion had told him, slamming a dagger down on the table between them."

lol.

"He had seen the wench wed too, but what of it? She would not be the first woman Victarion Greyjoy had made a widow."

Ok, this is perfect. LOL! Is this guy that delusional? That is is honestly going to break through the general blockade of Mereen, Grab Daenerys, and sail off with her into the sunset................just like that? Too good. Dude, this guy is such a character I just can't help but root for him.

"Not long after that Kerwin had come creeping to the captain to complain that four of the crew had dragged him belowdecks and used him as a woman. "Here is how you put an end to that," Victarion had told him, slamming a dagger down on the table between them."

lol.

"He had seen the wench wed too, but what of it? She would not be the first woman Victarion Greyjoy had made a widow."

Ok, this is perfect. LOL! Is this guy that delusional? That is is honestly going to break through the general blockade of Mereen, Grab Daenerys, and sail off with her into the sunset................just like that? Too good. Dude, this guy is such a character I just can't help but root for him.

I think I see what you mean. He's somewhat endearing in a sadistic, brutish and utterly devoid of anything approaching human empathy or intelligence sort of way.

@ Dawn Age

Did he really say that about the Dothraki Sea? I don't remember that but that is hilarious. Such a moron. If's almost like if Joey from Friends was a psychopath...

Every time I read about this guy, I have Jethro Tull's "Thick as a brick" in my head.

That is even more hilarious than Victarion himself. Is like having Benny Hill playing during the Battle at the Fist of the First Men :lmao:

Dothraki sea... LOL :lmao:

Yeah I loved him from the start. I couldn't understand the hate for him on here when I first started posting but to each his own.

it's like even though Vic is dumb as a box of rocks, GRRM writes these chapters with so much wit and subtlety, I'm laughing the whole time.

We also shouldn't write him off as totally dumb, he knew right away what Euron was doing when he promoted Ralf the Limper (i think that's the one vics right hand pretty much) to Lordship, and he's smart enough to know "all of the crow's eyes gifts are poisioned"...

That is even more hilarious than Victarion himself. Is like having Benny Hill playing during the Battle at the Fist of the First Men :lmao:

You know what is even more annoying? I was discussing Stannis/Renly/Robert growing up with someone the others day, i.e. how Robert was away at the Eyrie and even when he wasn't he was off whoring and hunting etc. so Stannis was probably left to do most of the work most of the time, and how Renly would have been too young to have anything be expected of him. We were discussing more Stannis/Renly's relationship than anything, and Gotye's "Somebody that I used to know" came on the TV, and I realized how it somewhat applies to them. Now every time I think about Stannis and/or Renly I have that darn song playing in the background. :o

Dothraki sea... LOL :lmao:

Yeah I loved him from the start. I couldn't understand the hate for him on here when I first started posting but to each his own.

it's like even though Vic is dumb as a box of rocks, GRRM writes these chapters with so much wit and subtlety, I'm laughing the whole time.

We also shouldn't write him off as totally dumb, he knew right away what Euron was doing when he promoted Ralf the Limper (i think that's the one vics right hand pretty much) to Lordship, and he's smart enough to know "all of the crow's eyes gifts are poisioned"...

Yeah, I don't think he is totally stupid, but to paraphrase Brienne... he has intelligence, a brute's intelligence, maybe; he's "good" with the lower orders of people, i.e. the Ironborn.

I don't think the bit about the Dothraki Sea was meant to imply that Victarion is unintelligent. It was a joke GRRM threw in for comedic relief, and reflected the fact that no maester ever taught him the nuances of Essos' geography.

Victarion is a bit of a brute, but he's also one of the most honorable Ironborn characters. Aside from he and Asha, you have Euron who wants to be a cruel despot that may have killed his father, Aeron, a religious fanatic, and Theon, a Westerosi weakling and traitor. He pays the Iron Price, leads his men well, and is flexible enough to bring on Moqorro. Victarion even pays deference to the Drowned God and R'Hllor, because he knows he needs Moqorro's help is he's to have any chance in taking Daenerys from Mereen.

I doubt Victarion will succeed in wedding Dany, but I'd love to see him defeat Euron, take the Seastone Chair, and help the Targaryens take back the Iron Throne.

I don't think the bit about the Dothraki Sea was meant to imply that Victarion is unintelligent. It was a joke GRRM threw in for comedic relief, and reflected the fact that no maester ever taught him the nuances of Essos' geography.

Victarion is a bit of a brute, but he's also one of the most honorable Ironborn characters. Aside from he and Asha, you have Euron who wants to be a cruel despot that may have killed his father, Aeron, a religious fanatic, and Theon, a Westerosi weakling and traitor. He pays the Iron Price, leads his men well, and is flexible enough to bring on Moqorro. Victarion even pays deference to the Drowned God and R'Hllor, because he knows he needs Moqorro's help is he's to have any chance in taking Daenerys from Mereen.

I doubt Victarion will succeed in wedding Dany, but I'd love to see him defeat Euron, take the Seastone Chair, and help the Targaryens take back the Iron Throne.

Agreed, he's not stupid, as such, but he's unsophisticated and uneducated. I was just mulling the same thought really- other than maybe Damphair, Victarion is probably the least douchey Ironborn, certainly the least douchey Greyjoy.

That last scenario would be interesting, Euron certainly seems to be the most questionable character.

Without a doubt the best chapters in ADWD.

I was gasping and laughing reading those, after endless pages of painful Dany and Tyrion chapters, where their characters took a major step back. Sure it was cartonnish, but that Dothrakyi sea stuff and freeing slaves to make them rowers was hilarious. It felt a bit like the humor in the movie Army of Darkness.

Victarion's chapters were brilliant stuff. Sure he is detestable, but about 99% of people in ASOFAI are detestable to varying degrees. Vicatrion and the Ironborn are basically the Westros version of Vikings.

Vic is the man. My fav character from the last 2 books. One of my favorite scenes from ADWD is when the red preist is working on Vic arm and chanting and the monkeys hear it and all of them jump on the ship into the ocean. And i cant get Vic coming out and pointing to the maester while his arm is smoking and telling him to be thrown overboard out of my head.

Archived