help with some English please

DirePenguin

Hi everyone. I just started reading book 3 and trying to understand it as much as I can :)

This is from the prologue. What does the latter sentence mean? Chett was very eager not to see Hag's Mire ever again and can't wait for that to happen?

Lark could go home if he liked, and the damn Tyroshi too, but not Chett. If he never saw Hag’s Mire again, it would be too bloody soon.

Hi, I was thinking for your first question, it could also mean that he wishes he never saw the place at all.

For this one, I don't think it means "wind" like "the wind in the trees" i think it means "wind" like "wind up toy" as in, he wound the scarf around his head but left a space for his mouth.

lol, you are really good at pointing GRRM's most awkward sentences. Both of these gave me a strong pause.

good one, brush is another word like wind with very different meanings depending on how you use it. Brush in this case is from "underbrush" as in, thick plant growth such as grasses and bushes. Maybe you have seen a rabbit hiding in the brush?

Babe does mean baby pig, but in this case it could mean a baby anything.

Babe doesn't mean a baby pig (I guess you are thinking of the film :) ). Babe is variant, informal form of baby. A young pig is called a piglet.

The thing sounding like a babe wailing for milk is something that is making the sound of a human baby.

he claimed to be the bastard of some Lannister. Maybe he was at that. = maybe he was a Lannister bastard

Chett had no use for pretty boys, nor for bastards neither, but Sweet Donnel seemed like to hold his own. = although he was pretty (attractive, good-looking) and a bastard he seemed tough enough to be able to stand up for himself and fight

calves are (in this context) the muscles at the back of the leg between the knee and the ankle (a calf is also a young cow and calves are young cattle, but not in this context :) )

a cord of wood is an American measure of timber. So her lower leg muscles are hard and shaped like a piece of wood - tough and shapely.

Absolutely tiny amount of trust. The situation is that Catelyn knows he is untrustworthy, but she really wants her girls back. So she has to trust him. But she knows that is unwise. Jaime thinks she is strange to trust him when she thinks he has so little honour.

To dare to do something is to be brave enough to do something or to have the courage to do something.

So to trust him as little as she dared suggests how desperate she is. She knows it is silly, but is brave enough to give it a chance, in the hope that she can get her girls back.

This doesn't really reflect about Catelyn but about Jaime, here, since it's his PoV.

He is pointing the contradiction of trusting his word to bring Arya and Sansa back, while at the same time thinking he has shit for honor, before amending the thought to highlight that she actually barely trusts him, if at all, she trusts Tyrion's word in open court. If I remember it's how Jaime's thought continue: thinking about still being in chains, with Brienne as guard, and the trust being on Tyrion.

Archived