help with some English please

DirePenguin

Well, I'd say it means the pain Tyrion is suffering at that point is different from the pain he first suffered. And also, the description is almost a mixed metaphor.

If a dog has teeth, the pain of it's bite would be sharp, and ripping. Without teeth, a dog still has a powerful mouth, but without the sharpness. So the pain is probably a pressing, throbbing continuous pain. I suggested a mixed metaphor because there is a saying "like a dog gnawing a bone" meaning something that just doesn't stop. So Tyrion's pain seems to be dull but never ending. Also, a dog without teeth can't really do damage to the bone, so the pain is coming to an end, but it's still there.

The phrase actually conjures up a lot of images.

? How to explain that!

Have you ever been bitten by a dog? Has a baby ever chewed on your hand before it has teeth?

To gnaw is to bite and chew at something. Say you had a bone with meat on it - you would gnaw it (well maybe not, but I would). So the pain is biting at Tyrion - but it's not a sharp pain, because there are no teeth, so it is a dull pain like being bitten by somebody with no teeth!

ETA Ah-ha Fragile Bird swooped in before me!

:devil:

now I understand why your bird avatar holds a whip in it's claw

Ahhhh... I was confused, thought Pain was (Podrick) Payne... was wondering how he could gnaw Tyrion without being in the room...

it's getting too late I should get some sleep o_O; Thanks everyone.

well, you see, he creeps in very quietly!

Archived