412 replies to this topic

#381 Triskele

Triskele

Frisky Trisky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,602 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

for the first time in a long long time i am listening to pink floyd's epic 'the wall' in it's entirety.

it really is a brilliant album. the sound quality of it stands up so well. and there is something about gilmour's guitar work that has always been soothing to me.

A hugely underrated track w/ a great, quick Gilmour solo is "One of My Turns" on disc 1.

I love the Suburbs, but my favorite Arcade Fire song is Crown of Love from Funeral.

That is a sleepy song embedded amongst not-so-sleepy songs. Magic. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

#382 Paxter

Paxter

Lord of the Shattered Stumps

• Members
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

@Trisk: yeah agreed on Modern Man, but I still find Rococo a little jarring. Brilliant album though.

#383 Alex.

Alex.

"Football without #cans is nothing"

• Members
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

The overwhelming enjoyment you get for that particular part of the lyrics makes afraid of you and for you. I think you may be a sociopath or maybe schizophrenic. That being said, I respect your taste in music. Once again I must thank you for introducing me to a new band. /thumbsup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsup:' />

Ha, it's only big because all Be Your Own PET! lyrics need to be done in BIG LETTERS.

And on that subject...

Have fun, but be safe with it!

Just kidding!

FUCK SHIT UP!

#384 Raja

Raja

Dull

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

Funnily enough I'm watching the Arcade Fire set from Coachella right now. My favorite ones are probably; My body is a cage, The Suburbs continued , Neon Bible and No cars go. Also they did a song for The Hunger Games which was quite good.

#385 andrew_

andrew_

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:33 AM

Funnily enough I'm watching the Arcade Fire set from Coachella right now. My favorite ones are probably; My body is a cage, The Suburbs continued , Neon Bible and No cars go. Also they did a song for The Hunger Games which was quite good.

Peter Gabriel's version of My Body is a Cage is amazing imo, but AF's is still good

#386 The girl with curious hair

The girl with curious hair

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

I am deeply saddened by the lack of mention of Half Light I and Half Light II (No Celebration). The first part has to be one of the most mellifluous songs I’ve ever heard (for something non-classical). I love the way the ending bleeds into the second part which has a much more ecstatic yet yearnful feel to it. I love the orchestralness Arcade Fire exhibits by including all kinds of different instruments in their music. It’s a real pleasure to hear.

#387 eddard of the house stark

eddard of the house stark

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

for the first time in a long long time i am listening to pink floyd's epic 'the wall' in it's entirety.

Most Pink Floyd albums were made to be listened in their entirety. "The Wall" most of all.

Funeral is brilliant! Neighborhood #1 is probably my favorite AF song.
"The Suburbs" has some amazing songs but can't reach Funeral's beauty in my opinion.

Edited by eddard of the house stark, 12 December 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#388 Sci-2

Sci-2

The 11th Little Indian

• Members
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Played some catch up with this thread. So much good stuff, thanks for the recs!

#389 Raja

Raja

Dull

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

A friend introduced me to these guys, Bombay Bicycle Club - Lights Out, Words Gone http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vglxk3JbHnQ

#390 williamjm

williamjm

Council Member

• Members
  • 6,433 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

I am deeply saddened by the lack of mention of Half Light I and Half Light II (No Celebration). The first part has to be one of the most mellifluous songs I’ve ever heard (for something non-classical). I love the way the ending bleeds into the second part which has a much more ecstatic yet yearnful feel to it. I love the orchestralness Arcade Fire exhibits by including all kinds of different instruments in their music. It’s a real pleasure to hear.

Coincidentally, I'm currently listening to Half Light II. It's a good song, as is just about everything else on that album (I'm not too keen on Month of May, it's not bad, but doesn't seem quite up to the same standard). I think Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains), City With No Children and We Used To Wait are my favourites on that album.

#391 Alex.

Alex.

• Members
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

Bombay Bicycle Club are good.

Spent this morning listening to Art Brut's era defining* debut, 'Bang Bang Rock & Roll'. Formed a Band is the most positive, hope filled mission statement for a band ever. They are far and away better than the humourless chancers which make up the majority of other guitar bands from around that time. Art Brut are on our side.

*If the era you're defining is early 2000's London rock and roll.

#392 Insomnium

Insomnium

Council Member

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

Phantogram - Mouthful of Diamonds

#393 The girl with curious hair

The girl with curious hair

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

Brighton Rock by Queen

It irks me when people say they "love" a band but only know, at most, 5 songs by them. I find that people do this a lot with Queen. This is my favorite Queen song.

Edited by The girl with curious hair, 13 December 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#394 eddard of the house stark

eddard of the house stark

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

It irks me when people say they "love" a band but only know, at most, 5 songs by them.

I adore "The Radioheads" /smug.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smug:' />

Radiohead - No surprises

#395 Durckad

Durckad

Lacks Comprehension

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

This thread has inspired me to listen to The Suburbs again. It's been a while, I forgot just how good this album is. Easily my favorite Arcade Fire album.

#396 Triskele

Triskele

Frisky Trisky

• Members
  • 28,602 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

This thread has inspired me to listen to The Suburbs again. It's been a while, I forgot just how good this album is. Easily my favorite Arcade Fire album.

Ah, for real?

I ask because a Durckad endorsement isn't something too easily dismissed. The Suburbs remains, at least to me, the 3rd best of three great albums from Arcade Fire. Perhaps it's neck-and-neck w/ Neon Bible. Funeral is still the stuff of legend.

#397 Durckad

Durckad

Lacks Comprehension

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

Never got the love for Funeral honestly. Good album with some great songs, but The Suburbs is just great song after great song. Okay, I still don't like "Rococo" much and it's maybe a bit too long, could use a bit of trimming, but I can't think of anything that matches the brilliance of Sprawl II, Half-Light II, City With No Children, or The Suburbs on the other albums. I could probably list off half the album actually. Just great stuff.

I scoffed at the Arcade Fire before The Suburbs. I didn't think much of them but it made me a fan.

Edited by Durckad, 14 December 2012 - 12:47 AM.

#398 Alex.

Alex.

• Members
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:43 AM

Les Savy Fav - Root for Ruin this morning. Dirty Knails is a tune.

#399 Lord_Tyrion

Lord_Tyrion

HRH Spam King 2014

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

Irish Moutarde - The Bear And The Maiden Fair

<goes looking for his Docs and having a jolly good time of pogo>

Deine Lakaien - vivre

The song of *my* life....

Edited by Lord_Tyrion, 14 December 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#400 Opisthokont

Opisthokont

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

I like trains - Terra nova

Bloody Amundsen.

Edited by Woo!, 14 December 2012 - 04:25 PM.