Miscast actors?

Makes No Sansa

Do you think there's any miscast actor/actress? I think they all do it very well, their character's character (xd) is the same as the on in the books, and that's how it's supposed to be. But some of them... their looks are not even similar, or there's one thing about them that just doesn't fit. For example:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNURgbKfE1_emHHGMp3B9bkn2R1Ag0ycn7owmJ0px1jwCSRFlv

He is supposed to be drop dead gorgeous and I don't think he is. He should also be very tall and have broad shoulders and a wide chest. He doesn't. He plays his character very well, but I think this actor:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyAnZs_8KwPrhJgZ3oN-JzeOJ_kiNtmgjEkuwEX3HKB2Xt9IBjcwimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDo9NRmywhhwagC39GI4eQqvNUJ2dLWhHTG5EKsiua3oqW_r9v

looks more like Renly, at least he's closer.

Then Peter Dinklage's hair should be fairer, it's not a problem with the actor, because his hair is dark.

And the Lannisters are described as having curly hair and none of them does in the show...

• 2 weeks later...

to be honest i don't care that much what they look like within reason, as long as they play the part well, and the actor who played renly did that well enough, its didnt say that he's broad shouldered in the books, he can still look like robert without broad shoulders. As for the lannisters, it doesn't really matter, as GRRM frequently points out, it's not essential to the plot that they have curly hair, its just an extra detail, if lannisters having straight hair means having these great actors playing their parts, then its definetly worth the sacrifice

The looks stuff is a side point (I wonder less about how the actors look "in real life" then why they don't do more with hair and makeup to match them up a little closer where possible), but I think there are some miscast actors just in terms of performance.

Gethin Anthony is a good example - I just don't think he conveyed the level of charisma that renly was supposed to have and since that is basically the sole foundation of Renly's claim, that is a big problem for me. I actually think Joe Dempsie should have played Renly. He looks more like a Baratheon and he has a sort of effortless charm that seems more Renly-ish.

Now that I've seen the Tudors I understand better why they might have been drawn to Natalie Dormer, and part of my problem is with how the character is written, but I just think it seems like they saw the Tudors and were like, great, let's have her do that exactly, and sort of transported Anne Boleyn over to Game of Thrones and plunked her down where Margaery should go. Margaery is NOT Anne Boleyn and she shouldn't be played like Anne Boleyn. It really really really really bugs me. I think they have mishandled that part very badly.

I am not sold on Carice van Houten as Melisandre. But I'm not really sold on Melisandre altogether, in the books either.

Those are my three main gripes - the casting has generally been amazing but I don't think it's AS perfect as most people say. There have been some missteps.

If you're thinking of miscasting in terms of having an actor who can't pull off the book character, or, at the very least, something like the book character (which may not be what D&D always have in mind);

Gemma Whelan

Gethin Anthony

Natalie Dormer

Nonzo Anozie

Ian Glen (really egregious this one)

Sibel Kekilli

Osha was badly miscast but I think all agree it's an improvement (GrrM said so).

I think Asha and Osha were most definitely miscast and most ironically, Gemma Whalen would've made a good Osha, and Natalie Tena a great Asha. Also, can I just say that I don't really get how Osha has been improved over the books? She didn't really enamour me in the books either, but I'm not noticing any substantial difference.

I think Asha and Osha were most definitely miscast and most ironically, Gemma Whalen would've made a good Osha, and Natalie Tena a great Asha. Also, can I just say that I don't really get how Osha has been improved over the books? She didn't really enamour me in the books either, but I'm not noticing any substantial difference.

Osha's role has been beefed up significantly on the show and Tena has a kind of magnetism that draws you to her performance (IMO). I think she does a lot of great acting with her eyes and she has strong chemistry with the child actors.

Martin has said himself that if he had the chance, he'd rewrite the character to match up with Tena's performance.

It's difficult to say that anyone is truly "miscast" because the book characters are not necessarily the same as the show characters. Book Margaery and show Margaery are different characters (just like Asha, Renly, etc). D&D cast the show based on their adaptation of ASoIaF.

That said, I've been most disappointed in Stannis' portrayal and my gripes are more about performance than writing. I'm sure that Stephen Dillane is a fine actor but I'm not sure if he really gets the essence of the character. He seems bored half the time. He doesn't really portray Stannis' irascible wit to my satisfaction.

Re: Bran the Cute

What is wrong with Ian Glen. I saw many post stating he made them re-exaime Jorah character and more favorable than before. Biggest "compliant" points more that he is too handsome for the part (alot of female posters make this poiny). I will point out Denaerys being much older take alot of the creepiness out of his obession. He can still is too old but we are out of the Lolita territory from the books.

<mod>

A few things to keep in mind: one, no actor could look exactly as described in the books because we all have different ideas in our heads about what Tyrion, for example, looks like. Two, actors work from a script and take direction: even in a one-man show, their performance isn't necessarily a one-man or -woman band. While some of you may not like the changes made in adapting the books, the production team felt strongly enough about the actors we see on screen to (i) cast them, and (ii) pay them for their work.

Last, and not least, various cast members and production personnel read this forum and we prefer not to have them attacked personally. Please make your criticisms more constructive than, eg, "Robb's hair is the wrong shade of red".

</mod>

Archived