Metal Thread VI: This One's For the OTTER

Xray the Enforcer

Yeah, Deliverance is a terrible place to start.

I'd say give Still Life or Ghost Reveries a try, which are fantastic. I'm a bit cold on Blackwater Park, but I know I'm in the minority on that.

As mentioned above about grokking the theory...feeling exhausted is actually the point of their music. You're not supposed to feel replenished or entertained; you're supposed to feel like you've just experienced a beatdown (be it physical or psychological). So, in some sense, the music worked. But I totally get that some (most) people are not interested in those kinds of feelings being associated with music or a hobby.

Well, objective achieved then, I guess. :lol:

Checking in. Deliverance/Damnation are my favorite album(s) by Opeth, to be honest. Not that I don't like the others, I enjoy them very much, but those two have always made me come back to them.

On another level: currently listening to the new Periphery album,

's a sample. The singer has become a beast, growl-wise. Like the previous effort, it has some dull songs, not many, but when the songs good, I mean it's really good.

Also, totally not metal, but the new Dead Can Dance album is gorgeous. A total return to form. In my top albums of the entire year, for sure.

I definitely enjoyed it... it didn't feel like a 'reunion' album like I feared that it would.

Between this, the new Swans epic --why don't more metal lovers listen to Swans anyway?-- and now the announcement of a new Godspeed You! Black Emperor album, 2012 has been the best year I can think of for new albums from beloved bands who've reformed/been on long-term hiatus.

...I actually came into this thread expecting a bit of talk about the announcement of the new Godspeed album, as I know fans of the band and fans of metal cross-pollinate quite a bit.

For any other Nightwish fans in the thread... it was announced a few days ago that Anette Olzon has quit the band. Floor Jansen is filling in for the remainder of their current tour.

They just played here maybe 2 weeks ago. Too bad I missed it. :frown5:

For any other Nightwish fans in the thread... it was announced a few days ago that Anette Olzon has quit the band. Floor Jansen is filling in for the remainder of their current tour.

I haven't listened to any Nightwish post-Tarja but I love what I've heard of Floor Jansen! I hope she gets the permanent gig.

I definitely enjoyed it... it didn't feel like a 'reunion' album like I feared that it would.

Between this, the new Swans epic --why don't more metal lovers listen to Swans anyway?-- and now the announcement of a new Godspeed You! Black Emperor album, 2012 has been the best year I can think of for new albums from beloved bands who've reformed/been on long-term hiatus.

...I actually came into this thread expecting a bit of talk about the announcement of the new Godspeed album, as I know fans of the band and fans of metal cross-pollinate quite a bit.

I just heard about it and I can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...
Checking in. Deliverance/Damnation are my favorite album(s) by Opeth, to be honest. Not that I don't like the others, I enjoy them very much, but those two have always made me come back to them.

On another level: currently listening to the new Periphery album,

's a sample. The singer has become a beast, growl-wise. Like the previous effort, it has some dull songs, not many, but when the songs good, I mean it's really good.
Really awesome album

I have it on good authority that there will be at least FIVE members of the forum at MDF this year. Buy a ticket, join the ride. We had a killer time in 2012, and 2013 is looking like more of the same!

Tix for sale now:

4-day passes (Th-S)

3-day passes (F-S)

1-day pass for Thursday

4-day passes and Thursday passes WILL SELL OUT, so if you want to see Bolt Thrower, Cobalt, Ufommamut, Abigail, Deiphago, Evoken and Necropsy, BUY NOW.

All Thursday tickets are now sold out.

1-day passes for Friday, Saturday and Sunday will go on sale closer to the end of the month. Those and 3-day passes are less likely to sell out, due to the larger outdoor space.

Thursday tickets SOLD OUT.

i am sure you read that they are discussing adding another indoor set on friday-sunday for bolt thrower?

that will be huge. the many people who failed to get tix to the first show on thursday will swell the throngs of metalheads on other days.

this is going to be fucking brilliant. i cannot wait.

Archived