Metal Thread VI: This One's For the OTTER

Xray the Enforcer

i am sure you read that they are discussing adding another indoor set on friday-sunday for bolt thrower?

that will be huge. the many people who failed to get tix to the first show on thursday will swell the throngs of metalheads on other days.

this is going to be fucking brilliant. i cannot wait.

Yep. M (the lovely lady who was at Melechesh with us) and I were talking about that on Friday. It's gonna be eeeeeepic.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Nightwish and Kamelot in concert a few weeks ago. Floor Jansen was AWESOME! She's sort of a mid-point between Anette and Tarja. I had no idea Marco Hietala was so charismatic on stage He was adorable. At one point he was announcing "Slow Love Slow" and he said, "Now we're going to play to your sense of sensuality...sensitivity...whatever, I'm sold!"

Kamelot was bloody fantastic. Hadn't gotten so hyped up in a long time. Tommy is a perfect replacement for Khan, though I wonder if he's purposely mimicking some of Khan's movements. Khan could pull off the theatrics. Karevik is very charismatic but he seems more natural when not appearing to pantomime Khan. I dunno, maybe he's just developing his own stage persona. He sounds amazing live and is really cute.

I love Silverthorn, their new CD. I wasn't sold when I listened the first time but it was amazing on the 2nd playthrough. It helps to know the story though--it makes some of the lyrics a little less strange. Karevik sounds great. His upper register is stronger than Khan's, at least in Khan's latter Kamelot years. It's hard to describe...he sounds a bit like Khan, but the color is different. His voice is brighter, while Khan's is more haunting. If I sound ridiculous, forgive me, I'm not putting it into words well. My favorite songs on it are "Veritas," "Sancrimony," "Ashes to Ashes," and "Solitaire." Karevik wrote most of the lyrics; I think Khan was a bit better of a lyricist, but some of Karevik's imagery is really nice...even if I'm scratching my head at what's going through his head. "Falling like the Fahrenheit" sounds very pretty, but it's an odd choice of vocab.

Ha...if I sound nitpicky, it's only the journalist in me. I couldn't be happier.

And thanks sooo much for the band suggestions! I have a lot of new music on my iPod. I particularly like Diabulus in Musica and Ava Inferi.

Ava Inferi!! :cheers:

I love listening to Grin of Winter when I'm feeling a bit melancholy. It's always perfect.

Also, I love Floor Janssen. She is one of the only front-persons who can hold their own in front of the band. The woman belts shit like nobody's business, so props to her. Another frontwoman with similar power (but a totally different delivery) is Veronica Freeman of Benedictum. Gods, I really dig Benedictum.

How on earth did I just recently discover Moonsorrow? Makes me wonder how many other awesome bands out there I haven't discovered yet.

Great band with a fantastic back catalogue. Speaking of which Blut aus Nord are my favourite Metal act and their "Sects" trilogy released over the last couple of years is their magnum opus. Awesome band.

I saw Nightwish and Kamelot in concert a few weeks ago. Floor Jansen was AWESOME!

<--- is JEALOUS. I was thrilled to see that she will be continuing with the band into its upcoming tours. Would love to hear a new studio album with her at the helm!

Great band with a fantastic back catalogue.

So I've found! Still going through their stuff but my favorite thus far is Voimasta Ja Kunniasta. Mind blowingly epic - it'll be a great one for upcoming bleak winter afternoons. :)

Speaking of which Blut aus Nord are my favourite Metal act and their "Sects" trilogy released over the last couple of years is their magnum opus. Awesome band.

Cool, I'll check them out. :cheers:

The awesome thing was that Floor kicked ass and that was when she had a cold. I was sooo happy with how well she sang, then I saw an article about her a few shows later where she claimed she'd had a nasty cold for a week and finally now could really tackle Nightwish's songs. I'd love it if Floor stayed on.

She's adorable too. She was talking to the audience and said, "So the other day I was writing Tuomas's mind...uh, reading his mind--hey, English, Finnish, Dutch, it's a big melting pot to me!"

I looked up their wikipedia entry (pretty much all I can do here at work). I dig their Swedish death metal influences...might be worth checking out. What's a good starting point?

My two favorite songs from them are The Last Relapse and There is Nothing Left. Let me know if you liked it.

My two favorite songs from them are The Last Relapse and There is Nothing Left. Let me know if you liked it.

Listening to iTunes samples from Awaken the Dreamers now...good stuff. The musicianship is excellent, love the guitar lines and I like the little twist they put on the typical hardcore sound. Dude has a very distinctive voice. I like how he varies his delivery from "clean" to stock hardcore growl to some nice upper register stuff.

Not ready to buy yet but this is definitely on my radar! Thanks for the rec. :)

Listening to iTunes samples from Awaken the Dreamers now...good stuff. The musicianship is excellent, love the guitar lines and I like the little twist they put on the typical hardcore sound. Dude has a very distinctive voice. I like how he varies his delivery from "clean" to stock hardcore growl to some nice upper register stuff.

Not ready to buy yet but this is definitely on my radar! Thanks for the rec. :)

Yeah his death growls and screams are amazing. Im glad you enjoyed it :) What bands are you typically into?

Yeah his death growls and screams are amazing. Im glad you enjoyed it :) What bands are you typically into?

This post sums my tastes up pretty well. I'm into a lot of different styles; if I had to pick one favorite band it'd be Opeth. Their style circa late 90s - early 00s is better than anything else I've heard.

Archived