Skipping Daenerys chapters

Guess who's back

I personally wouldn't skip any, regardless of whether I found a particular chapter boring. I want to get the full story, that includes aspects I may find less interesting than others.

I mean, I can't give you any advice based on how her chapters in Clash are because I'm only currently reading it for the first time, but the one Dany chapter I've read so far I liked, much more than the continuous "My son and stars / moon of my life" stuff with Drogo in AGoT. Honestly, him being dead bodes well for my interest in these chapters, I'd hope there's less cooing over that personality-void thug with his wonderful never-cut hair.

• 3 months later...

I personally think if you want to skip entire chapters of the books, you should probably just watch the TV show instead of reading the books.

I personally think, skipping chapters of a character that has no absolutely no affect on another major PoV characters wouldn't hinder the enjoyment of the series. Though i admit i read her chapters.

• 4 weeks later...

After finishing CoK I can safely state Dany is still a total bore to me. Only the House of the Undying chapter was enjoyable, the rest is just so slow and repetitive compared to other POV characters. Hopefully that changes in book 3.

"I'm blood of dragon... i'm poor... my boob is out... i wish i had ships... that guy has blue mouth... I am a queen... ser Jorah is nice to me... blood of the dragon."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm only on the 2nd book (about to finish it) But up to date with the show @ season 4,

Daeny's chapters are some of my favorites - but she is becoming my least favorite on the actual show.

She's become cocky, and if her trajectory continues like that in the novels, I may skip them eventually *cry*

:dunno:

I'm only on the 2nd book (about to finish it) But up to date with the show @ season 4,

Daeny's chapters are some of my favorites - but she is becoming my least favorite on the actual show.

She's become cocky, and if her trajectory continues like that in the novels, I may skip them eventually *cry*

:dunno:

I stopped my reading last night at page 623 of 969.

I plan to read through the upcoming Dany chapters in House of the Undying very slowly... (I've read them once before).

Personally, I think the visions she has in HotU are some of the most telling in the entire story.

I also believe that GRRM can intentionally steer us into seeing them a certain way.

1st. He makes some of the visions very easy to interpret.

2nd. Then, we assume that we should get them all... but I think he's juggled the words a few times.

For example: "Mother of Dragons" = Daenerys.

Right?

She's the "mother of dragons".

That's the literal interpretation.

However, what else could "Mother of Dragons" mean?

{pause}

Consider what we think of when we read this:

White lion running...

There IS a story of a lion being hunted in GoT... but most readers have taken a different thought route...

We don't actually consider that as a white lion... we DO consider it as a "Lannister" (lion = sigil)

So... going back to "mother of dragons"...

How about this... "mother of Targaryens"?

So if there is a muttering "mother of dragons"... perhaps we should consider that it might (just might) mean "mother of Targaryens".

If that is the case, consider the following:

"mother of dragons, daughter of death" = "mother of Targaryen(s), daughter of death" = ???

"mother of dragons, slayer of lies" = "mother of Targaryen(s), slayer of lies" = ???

"mother of dragons, bride of fire" = "mother of Targaryen(s), bride of fire" = ???

Now... the way it's written, we read "mother of dragons" THREE times.

I think the default path of thinking is ONE mother, with three HUSBANDS.

Per "Citadel":

Grouped together, this suggests all three images connect to husbands, literally or figuratively.

*And from here, we are thinking: Khal Drogo... ONE... gonna be two more, right... right?...

However, what about this... THREE mothers (of Targaryens), perhaps all different women?

Just a different way of thinking about it.

I stopped my reading last night at page 623 of 969.

I plan to read through the upcoming Dany chapters in House of the Undying very slowly... (I've read them once before).

Personally, I think the visions she has in HotU are some of the most telling in the entire story.

I also believe that GRRM can intentionally steer us into seeing them a certain way.

1st. He makes some of the visions very easy to interpret.

2nd. Then, we assume that we should get them all... but I think he's juggled the words a few times.

For example: "Mother of Dragons" = Daenerys.

Right?

She's the "mother of dragons".

That's the literal interpretation.

However, what else could "Mother of Dragons" mean?

{pause}

Consider what we think of when we read this:

White lion running...

There IS a story of a lion being hunted in GoT... but most readers have taken a different thought route...

We don't actually consider that as a white lion... we DO consider it as a "Lannister" (lion = sigil)

So... going back to "mother of dragons"...

How about this... "mother of Targaryens"?

So if there is a muttering "mother of dragons"... perhaps we should consider that it might (just might) mean "mother of Targaryens".

If that is the case, consider the following:

"mother of dragons, daughter of death" = "mother of Targaryen(s), daughter of death" = ???

"mother of dragons, slayer of lies" = "mother of Targaryen(s), slayer of lies" = ???

"mother of dragons, bride of fire" = "mother of Targaryen(s), bride of fire" = ???

Now... the way it's written, we read "mother of dragons" THREE times.

I think the default path of thinking is ONE mother, with three HUSBANDS.

Per "Citadel":

Grouped together, this suggests all three images connect to husbands, literally or figuratively.

*And from here, we are thinking: Khal Drogo... ONE... gonna be two more, right... right?...

However, what about this... THREE mothers (of Targaryens), perhaps all different women?

Just a different way of thinking about it.

That's awesome, ironically enough I read the house of the undying chapters again today, and I definitely have to say that I loved that chapter in the book as well as the show, even though they changed a few things and the symbolism.

Amazing writing @ work there from GRRM

:read:

Archived