What to think of cersei?

NoNameRivers

Lannister threads inevitably draw me into this side of the board.

Sticking to the AGoT book plot, Cersei is in constant defiance to what is established; basically. Why should she be forced to wear the robes if she could wear the armor? Why should she be punished for being with her brother, if Targaryens were allowed? Why must she rely on Robert to have power? Cersei does not like the world to set the plan for her and will not abide to it. She will fight and seize what she sets her mind on, whatever it is (including Lady's pelt at the time). From the perspective of a ruler that does not want her the heir presumptive to look like the wuss he really is, Cersei's sanction to the direwolf makes sense, politically speaking.

However, in a broader scope, I think Cersei likes depth in her decisions, choosing to act impulsively and thinking her choices are effective.. only to later realize things get out of her hands rather easily. Take Joffrey's ordering of Ned Stark's beheading, as an example of a short term scheme that caused her more troubles than she expected.

And her shameless admittance to Ned Stark during the confrontation about her children is among her most "yeah, I'm obviously evil, so what?" moments. Gotta admit it was one of the "mini-wtf" moments of the book.

EDIT: clarity

I tend to like her mainly because she is true and honest to herself

I think she is simply brutally honest with herself and those around her.

You know nothing :P

Just kidding of course. I don't agree. She's far from honest with herself. All she does is ramble about how life is unfair since she should have been a man etc and the Tywin bits, where she actually dares to think she is better than him... to me, she is nuts, and she ends up being exactly what she hates life gave her : a tw*t.

I know that she's supposed to be bad, [...]

If that would be the case this series wouldn't be worth worshipping but super-lame.

NO character in this series is really bad/ evil (aside from some serioulsy damaged characters). Just like in real life everyone who plays the game of thrones has a personal intention and a purpose.

When reading on you will see how brilliant ASOIAF is just bc. you will get to know the motivations of every player (even if just a simple lust for power).

NO character in this series is really bad/ evil (aside from some serioulsy damaged characters). Just like in real life everyone who plays the game of thrones has a personal intention and a purpose.

This is an oversimplification. Characters do have ulterior motives to their actions, but some have very low moral standards or signs of remorse. So there are quite a few evil characters in there. As broken as Cersei's marriage/life in A Game of Thrones is, she has very little redeeming qualities. She's evil and supposed to be so.

• 8 months later...

I think, as it has been said, that Cersei is most of all power hugry. however, she does seem to truly hate Tyrion and some other folks as well.

What strikes me about Cersei, even reading her POV, is that she has some psychological disorder. She seems a bit too paranoid and delusional to be 100% normal. Also, I think she wants to play the Game of Thrones, but she isn't a player. She thinks she understand everything and holds the power, but in fact she is not intelligent enough to be a player. She is too often carried away by her emotions and she makes too many mistakes.

Absolutely right. And there is a reason for that fisorder. When she was a child, an old woman said something to her that ruin her life and disorder her psychology. She is totally obsessed of one prophecy that is obviously not true but with her actions she made it true.

I cannot agree 'she is not intelligent enough', she is just depressed and obsessed. When a man is in that conditions, he or she could be genious but cannot handle the pain and fears inside him/her. She has been a child and something terrible was said to her that obviously is impossible to overcome. Her way of thinking is based on fear and that is the main reason she cannot procssed.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the books, she is sympathetic... From the show... Pure evil. I shall flay her first chance I get.

What even? I feel it's the other way around...She is much more sympathetic in the show, I have never once pitied her in the books.

• 7 months later...

Archived