Best incarnations of Evil in fiction

Sci-2

In ADWD, Xaro puts forward a utilitarian defence of slavery, which Dany is hard put to answer. Is he right?

That really annoyed me, seeing as Dany has had firsthand experience with societies on Essos where there is no slavery. Xaro's 'theories' are patently bullshit and anyone in Westeros or Essos with half a brain should know that.

Really, it's kind of difficult to make a case for slavery being 'necessary' when the largest and most powerful city state in Essos (Braavos) is rabidly anti-slavery.

That really annoyed me, seeing as Dany has had firsthand experience with societies on Essos where there is no slavery. Xaro's 'theories' are patently bullshit and anyone in Westeros or Essos with half a brain should know that.

Really, it's kind of difficult to make a case for slavery being 'necessary' when the largest and most powerful city state in Essos (Braavos) is rabidly anti-slavery.

Or Dany simply cannot articulate her point? Xaro undercut it either way. Saying that slavery causes some to suffer is not denied in his argument. He's just saying that some will always suffer and that them doing so allows others to succeed. To be on his level Dany would have to prove that this social model is wrong and that the use of slaves to work does not lead to progress. She cannot do that because her argument isn't based on logic, it's based on "I felt bad as a slave, thus slavery bad" and she either doesn't know about the culture or was simply not fast enough. She is a teenager after all.

The main antagonist from Vernica Mars season 2. People who have watched the show know who I'm talking about. Abused and mistreated, there is no depth this individual has not sunk to.

I also liked the fact that for once, the antagonist seemed to display more intelligence than Veronica. Evil genius, in fact.

• 3 weeks later...

Naraku from Inuyasha. He actually depends on the group's ability to succeed and their hatred for him.

Who is Naraku? I watched like the first season. Is it the one that gets eaten by other demons? Hm...its been some years since I last saw it.

Archived