149 replies to this topic

#21 Underfoot

Underfoot

what the dickens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

I thought this episode fell a little flat compared to the premiere. Wasn't too psyched with Etta; I think the character decisions were to be expected, but I don't think the actress pulled it off very well. Also thought the Simon-head reveal was a bit anti-climatic. Wondering what they did with Bell. I really did love the Olivia/Etta and Olivia/Peter interactions, though, and Walter and Astrid's faces when they were playing with the laser was priceless!

Did anyone else notice the differences between Olivia's memories and Peter's memories of the picnic? In Peter's (which we saw in the premiere), the picnic blanket was red and the shirt he was wearing was grey. In Olivia's, the blanket was green and Peter's shirt was brown. Think this is significant? I'd pick Olivia's memory over Peter's, as hers is photographic and the memory sequence was continuous, whereas Peter's was disjointed.

One mystery that didn't get solved though: where's Gene? Did Walter amber the cow as well?

Crossing my fingers for this /tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

#22 Warg Arry

Warg Arry

rainbow connection

• Members
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:04 AM

This episode. I liked it. there was the comfortable interaction with Astrid and Walter. I love and missed that dynamic.
There is the affection between Peter and Olivia but there is also a palpable wedge between them right now. Without any words spoken.
I thought that was well played.
I thought it was interesting that we had to think about which was the more human element. The Resistance or the Loyalists
This episode made it more of a grey area than the usual black vs white (good vs evil) clash.
Both exist seemingly because first and foremost we strive to survive.
One adjusts and comes together to stand and fight for what has been taken.
One accepts and adjusts to try and live in a world that now is.
And then you have the people in between.

I think the point is made well with the stark difference between Olivia and Etta.
Etta seemed to only ask a question so she felt justified in getting right to the torture. (which was so jarring for her character development.)
("what mum..all the kids are doing it these days you just don't understand.")
Olivia does what she is best at. Connecting on a personal level.

Even though I'm not loving Etta right now. I still want to know how a 3 year old survives in this world to grow up a resistance fighter working for fringe and looking for her family.
Has that been brought up yet? I might have missed it.
I too miss Gene

#23 Black Wolf Smith

Black Wolf Smith

Heretical Harlequin

• Members
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

2nd ep was ok. It was all set up, for later in the season. I don't get why. They only have what 13 ep, so why the filler.

#24 The Ghost of Winter

The Ghost of Winter

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:34 AM

I was reading a Fringe forum last night (I love lurking) and somebody theorized that Peter and Olivia had a huge falling out. In the flashback of the park picnic scene they are wearing wedding rings, but in the future they aren't anymore.
This poster believes that the loss of Etta (whatever the hell happened to her), tore their relationship apart. Basically they highly disagree on what to do, Peter wants to turn the world over to find his little girl, but Olivia wants to save humanity from the Observers. And as we know Olivia she has that whole habit of saving everyone she can, probably from all the years at the FBI.

They do seem a little unattached then ever before.

#25 Black Wolf Smith

Black Wolf Smith

Heretical Harlequin

• Members
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:43 AM

I was reading a Fringe forum last night (I love lurking) and somebody theorized that Peter and Olivia had a huge falling out. In the flashback of the park picnic scene they are wearing wedding rings, but in the future they aren't anymore.
This poster believes that the loss of Etta (whatever the hell happened to her), tore their relationship apart. Basically they highly disagree on what to do, Peter wants to turn the world over to find his little girl, but Olivia wants to save humanity from the Observers. And as we know Olivia she has that whole habit of saving everyone she can, probably from all the years at the FBI.

I was thinking that as well.

#26 The Iceman of the North

The Iceman of the North

Almost there...

• Members
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

Even though I'm not loving Etta right now. I still want to know how a 3 year old survives in this world to grow up a resistance fighter working for fringe and looking for her family.
I too miss Gene

Didn't Olivia look at a picture of Etta as a kid, with a couple who presumably adopted her?

#27 Underfoot

Underfoot

what the dickens

• Members
  • 808 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

She was raised by foster parents. At the beginning of the episode when Olivia is washing her face, we see her look at some photos of Etta as a child and young adult, and she had a family.

In the premiere, this is exactly what Peter and Olivia were talking about. Peter wouldn't leave Boston because he was still looking for Etta, leaving Olivia alone while she went to New York to help save the world. Peter is still wearing his wedding ring around his neck and he tends to hold it a lot. Walter spoke a little of the fall out in the premiere, basically saying that Peter abandoned the fight. It nicely parallels the fracture in Walter/Elizabeth's relationship when their Peter dies.

#28 Chelly

Chelly

Temptress, Cracker of Whips, and Slayer of Pants

• Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

It was an ok episode. I still don't care about Etta but I liked her moment in the end when she decided let the guy go.

I'm glad they got the tape, but I felt like this didn't have to take an entire episode. It did feel a little like filler and there should not be much room for filler since this is the end of the series, imo.

#29 Warg Arry

Warg Arry

rainbow connection

• Members
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

She was raised by foster parents. At the beginning of the episode when Olivia is washing her face, we see her look at some photos of Etta as a child and young adult, and she had a family.

Yeah, I saw the pictures. - I felt so sorry for Olivia. I guess (at least for me) foster parents and happy snaps. Don't track with her mission. Her knowledge of her parents and their mission.
I guess I could reconcile the two and her knowing what she knows. If she was, say - raised under ground by resistance fighters who knew of Fringe's actions.

I acknowledge that her foster parents could have been some kind of shade of that. With what we've heard so far it doesn't seem like Olivia and Peter put her in their care. As it's been mentioned that they were looking for her still.
So I guess I'm hoping they fill in those blanks. Otherwise how does Etta know what she does. That motivates her actions. It's not from her own memories of the fringe team aka her family.
Was it influence or coincidence that Etta was on exactly the right path?

Edited by Warg Arry, 09 October 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#30 Underfoot

Underfoot

what the dickens

• Members
  • 808 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

I guess I could reconcile the two and her knowing what she knows. If she was, say - raised under ground by resistance fighters who knew of Fringe's actions.

I've been wrestling with this is well. I have two guesses:

1) Etta was old enough to know who her parents were, if only their names. After the Observers invaded she was bounced around-who knows what happened to her immediately after the initial attack-and then eventually she ends up with a family. By that point, Peter/Olivia had been ambered and she was unable to be reunited with them, but as she grew older she learned more about them, maybe found their old apartment or whatever. I'm sure there were still ways to dig up information about people.

2) Nina filled her in.

I'm very curious about the bullet necklace she wears. It seems most likely that it's the one that killed Olivia in the season 4 finale, but why would Peter and Olivia give that sort of thing to a three year old? What else could it be? Hopefully these questions will be addressed soon.

#31 red snow

red snow

Prince of Procrastination

• Members
  • 6,845 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

I didn't mind the 2nd episode as it settled me into the new world moreso than the initial shock of episode one. It seems like a very tired plot device to do the "find the 6 missing treasures to unlock the secret weapon". I guess it keeps the story moving along and with 10 episodes left it doesn't leave much room for fillers.

One thing that's nagging me is, when did Etta come on the scene? Was Olivia pregnant at the end of the last season? I can't remember this happening so I'm left with two thoughts "It was 2015/2016 when the observers took over" or "this is all happening in the show's original timeline where Fauxlivia was pregnant".

Seeing the guy from Lost's head reanimated in the episode was gruesome but I'm hoping we'll see him again.

Was also great to hear a clip from the moody blues' "nights in white satin". I'd forgotten how great that song was /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

#32 lady narcissa

lady narcissa

aesthetic contemplation

• Members
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

One thing that's nagging me is, when did Etta come on the scene? Was Olivia pregnant at the end of the last season? I can't remember this happening so I'm left with two thoughts "It was 2015/2016 when the observers took over" or "this is all happening in the show's original timeline where Fauxlivia was pregnant".

Olivia finds out she is pregnant at the end of last season. I think after going in to get checked out after being shot and dead, in the checkup it is discovered and she tells Peter. So presumably that was 2012 and Etta was born in late 2012 or early 2013? Then if she was about 3 when the Observors took over it would be 2015/6.

Haven't seen the most recent episode yet, I've gone back and rewatched the end of last season to refresh my memory as I just felt I was missing some things. Now will catch up with the beginning of this new season...

#33 red snow

red snow

• Members
  • 6,845 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

Clearly I missed a few things /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Thanks for the reminder, the timeline is maintained.

#34 Jolene Brown

Jolene Brown

All CAPSLOCK, all the TIME.

• Members
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

I've liked the scenarios for every season, even the ones everyone else hated, until now. I just can't deal with this future Observer world. It irritates me. And I don't like Etta, or care about her.

#35 MisterOJ

MisterOJ

Over-protective

• Members
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

I kinda dig the new season so far.

I've been onboard since Day 1 though, and for the past couple years, while I have enjoyed the show, I can't help but think that it has gone completely off the rails from where it began in the first season.

Maybe this is where the writers meant to end up, but to me, the past couple seasons have felt like the writers have just been making shit up as they go along and either 1) completely decided to go a different direction from the original vision of the show or 2) never had a clear end-game in mind to begin with.

#36 red snow

red snow

• Members
  • 6,845 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

I think they've been making shit up as they go along but in that Deep Space Nine way where it somehow works out anyhow. I know they always intended for Peter to be Walt's alternate son so that much of the show was always planned along with the other universe. The current observer stuff was probably invented a season ago though and they could do with some kind of retcone to explain how they've gone from observers to conquerers.

#37 lady narcissa

lady narcissa

aesthetic contemplation

• Members
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

The current observer stuff was probably invented a season ago though and they could do with some kind of retcone to explain how they've gone from observers to conquerers.

Yeah on the dvd for last season there is an extra about the Observors. Its really just a montage of sorts and interviews with various cast members including the actor who plays September. Nothing really new in it except it really did seem like they didn't have these plans for the Observor in the beginning. You get this feeling that they came up with the idea of planting this character in all the episodes with the notion of doing something with him but that they didn't really know what he ultimately would be.

#38 ZombieWife

ZombieWife

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

I skipped all posts because I'm only on season 3. I just had to tell someone, out there in the world, that because of my Amazon Prime account, I'm now able to watch seasons 1-4 streaming (and have season 5 so far DVRed). And I fuggin' Love this show.

I think I want to have Walter's strawberry-milk-shake-lovin' baby.

Anyway, carry on. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

#39 Frog One

Frog One

Council Member

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

A bit too emo but ok episode.

#40 Warg Arry

Warg Arry

rainbow connection

• Members
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

I enjoyed this episode. Though it seems to have slowed it's momentum.
Then again we had a fringe like event - That wasn't resolved. And a piece of Walters puzzle.

I loved the Fringe books. "Some made up". That was great. I like the possibilities of that idea.

Reply to this topic