Reek, Reek it rhymes with...redemption.

As a long time lurker but only recent contributor I've noticed that there's a severe lack of threads(at least lately) about everyone favourite genitaless(sp?)grey joy.

After 5 books, and as many missing bits we find him holding court from a wall sconce while stannis takes some limbs himself.

Can we assume with Theon and Ashas POV will cover stannis' arc and also if he joins the watch-which is his only choice, what role could he have agaisnt the others? I believe he's going to be crucial.

This needs to be in the TWOW section and part of it (from the gift chapter, I think?) should be under spoiler text, I believe.

An interesting question though. Personally I agree that it seems likely there is more to come for Theon. Couldn't say what though. I think the most common belief is that it will relate to Bran and his weirwoods.

You're probably right.

I was sitting in my car waiting for my food and just posted while I waited, and on iPhone I didn't see spoiler tags.

Still, if he wasn't important surely Ramsey would have just killed

Him or he would be dead by now...

Yeah, I think there is definitely something going on. He still has a role to play, especially with his beginning to remember who he is, seemingly.

Btw, for spoilers in your posts, in case you don't know, type: "spoiler" within [ ] as in [spo*ler] at the beggining of the text you want to hide, and then type [/spo*ler] at the end.

Cheers.

I'd like to see him healed enough to fight and go down in a blaze-so probably won't haha

But I feel almost sorry for his bad decisions and almost idiotic need for approval from his family.

Do we know why Balon GreyJoy rebelled? And what he hoped to achieve in doing so? We have alot of information about Roberts rebellion along with the whole R+L=J scenario as well as illyrio and varys game, so what, if anything would possess pyke to rise unaided agaisnt the iron throne?

With regards to Balon's rebellion, there is a thread about this... which I can't locate right now. I believe the consensus was that a) The Greyjoys are pretty stupid generally. b ) Balon especially so, c) they wanted independence from the Iron Throne and decided to try to take advantage of the new king Robert before he was firmly established, and d) They assumed that they could win because their fleet would protect the Iron Islands and they could do what they wanted without really being threatened but they didn't count on Stannis smashing their fleet.

I see theon's direction going into the watch. An extension for his and bran's story. He ran bran (lol) from winterfell only to lead bran on the path to the three eyed crow. I don't think theon's part in this is finished. Especially with the scenes of his time in the godswood of winterfell. Winter has come, now shit gets real (:

This can't be said because his idea how to capture north really worked, it was only theon who messed it up for him and finally robb was the one who paid for its consequences.

Did it? He captured Deepwoode Motte, with no real plan as to how he was going to capture the rest of the North, and no idea as to how he was going to hold it. Their entire philosophy also basically revolves around not ruling large areas of land because 'they do not sow.'

Besides, the North can't be held, a point which is made many times, and it s even more unlikely that a naval power like the Ironborn would be able to hold it. Even without taking WF, the most they would have held was the Motte, Torrhen's Square and later Moat Cailin. They were struggling to hold Moat Cailin, Manderly had held his knights back and Roose/Ramsay had a not insignificant force at the Dreadfort. There were also more potential soldiers with the Mountain Clans and the Karstarks. In fact, the only reason they held the areas they did for as long as they did was because Roose betraye Robb. Otherwise Rodrik would have retaken WF just after retaking Torrhen's Square, after that, Deepwood Motte and Moat Cailin would have been easy to sweep up and the rebellion is effectively over. Again.

Even if his plan did work, it doesn't change the fact that the Greyjoys haven't demonstrated themselves to be the smartest of families, though Vic is the stupidest, from what we have seen. In any event, that was the consensus on the thread I was referring to.

Asha isn't stupid. The reader is not stupid. I'm sure there were others who went "wait, you want to do what Balon?" it just seems a bit ludicrous...

Asha isn't stupid, no, but she seems to be the exception. She's clever, but she's not intelligent in the same way that, say, Tyrion or Bran or Arya or Doran are. Euron is also possibly quite clever, but the Greyjoys generally aren't an academic bunch, to say the least. "Stupid," is perhaps an exaggeration, but it conveys the general idea, they're not the brightest family. Nor are the Baratheons to be fair, the difference is that you can survive not being the smartest when you're generally nice and happy to work with people. When your entire outlook on life is "we take what we want, no one gives us anything," then you have to be especially brilliant to expect to survive. Most people felt that their attitude was pretty stupid too, in the thread I was referring to, IIRC.

The Reader doesn't count beacuse he's actually not a Greyjoy, he's Asha's uncle by marriage.

As discussed ad-nauseum in this forum, I think his future in the series will be brief, but important. Hopefully, he redeems himself by finally telling the truth about what happened in WF,

which I think is what Bran will instruct him to do in front of the Weirwood, where Stannis is supposedly going to off him.

With regards to Balon's rebellion, there is a thread about this... which I can't locate right now. I believe the consensus was that a) The Greyjoys are pretty stupid generally. b ) Balon especially so, c) they wanted independence from the Iron Throne and decided to try to take advantage of the new king Robert before he was firmly established, and d) They assumed that they could win because their fleet would protect the Iron Islands and they could do what they wanted without really being threatened but they didn't count on Stannis smashing their fleet.

The only Greyjoy that seems to have much sense at all is Asha, but it seems that their stupidity is largely tied to their arrogance, and they're all pretty arrogant. Why I say Asha has a bit more sense than the rest of them is she seems to put a lot of her arrogance aside once she's captured, whereas it most likely took Theon repeated maimings at the hands of Ramsay. Asha's also the one to comment on the stupidity of Theon's plans so I give her a bit more credit than the rest of the Greyjoys.

The only Greyjoy that seems to have much sense at all is Asha, but it seems that their stupidity is largely tied to their arrogance, and they're all pretty arrogant. Why I say Asha has a bit more sense than the rest of them is she seems to put a lot of her arrogance aside once she's captured, whereas it most likely took Theon repeated maimings at the hands of Ramsay. Asha's also the one to comment on the stupidity of Theon's plans so I give her a bit more credit than the rest of the Greyjoys.

That's fair enough. For my money, it's something like this, from dumbest to smartest: Balon/Victarion; Damphair; Theon; Asha/Euron- we don't really know enough about Euron yet but he seems to be ahead of the others (with the possible exception of Asha.)

Archived