Lord Eddard's words/Theon/spearwives

TheWhiteBull89

Its because the Starks have earned their respect, they maybe enemies, but they have fought for years, 100's or 1000's of years. Wildlings have some sort of honor and mostly earned through battle. The Starks have earned their respect and Ned has kind of seemed like the best of them.

Agree. I took it as a sign of respect for Eddard Stark (which is quite widespread in the North).

• 2 weeks later...

Well.... i think this is the case of deep rooted envy.

An enemy like Stark, whom they have fought for centuries and strategised to overthrow them, defeat the Starks, and build up their strength under Mance Rayder...... this tough enemy was defeated and removed so easily by Theon's treachery.

Theon took away their sole aim of building their strength and comimg together. Wildings were together against their common enemy at Winterfell...... and that enemy was defeates ungloriously, suddenly...

May be that's why those spearwives were furious.

Also enmity develops a bond of mutual admiration.... like Federer and Nadal...

Like Apollo Creed and Rocky Balboa in Rocky3 against Clubber Lang...

Because Mance is Rickard Stark's bastard son. Rickard who came up with a convenient story that Mance's father was killed by night's watch-men, I call bull-shit on how Mance's father was killed.

as great as this would be its doubtful as GRRM said that mance is similar in age to the halfhand who i imagine would be similar in age to Rickard if he were alive now.

Still, this line is suspicious.

We've met several wildlings character, no one except Mance and Ygrytte did not talk about Starks. Even Mance and Ygrytte never said Starks words. No one exept Mance did not said the name of Lord Stark: it was only Mance who knew him. I wonder if Tormund ever knew THAT particular lord Stark is called Eddard not Richard. As far as we know Eddard Stark never been beyond the Wall and he never had a war with wildlings... normally, they should not know who is he and what's his name.

So WHY spearwifes knew his words and his name???

Besides, I am not sure that every lowborn westerosee know the words of every Great House. Maybe, those who lived at Winterfell, and every northner knew Starks words. But, for exemple, Tyrion had to explain his words to Second Sons at Essos. He also noted that Penny did not played at noble-children plays. If wildlings live beyond the Wall, as at 8th kingdom, and they even speak another language, I highly doubt they would know Stark's words and they would react as that spearwifes.

So, there are two possibilities: wheather it is part of Northern Conspiracy (because Mance himself choose those women), or maybe simply Mance explained to them what was happened with Eddard Stark and his children...

Still, this line is suspicious.

We've met several wildlings character, no one except Mance and Ygrytte did not talk about Starks. Even Mance and Ygrytte never said Starks words. No one exept Mance did not said the name of Lord Stark: it was only Mance who knew him. I wonder if Tormund ever knew THAT particular lord Stark is called Eddard not Richard. As far as we know Eddard Stark never been beyond the Wall and he never had a war with wildlings... normally, they should not know who is he and what's his name.

So WHY spearwifes knew his words and his name???

Besides, I am not sure that every lowborn westerosee know the words of every Great House. Maybe, those who lived at Winterfell, and every northner knew Starks words. But, for exemple, Tyrion had to explain his words to Second Sons at Essos. He also noted that Penny did not played at noble-children plays. If wildlings live beyond the Wall, as at 8th kingdom, and they even speak another language, I highly doubt they would know Stark's words and they would react as that spearwifes.

So, there are two possibilities: wheather it is part of Northern Conspiracy (because Mance himself choose those women), or maybe simply Mance explained to them what was happened with Eddard Stark and his children...

On the other hand, every single wildling legend presented in the books features the Starks. Joramun, Bael the Bard, Grendel and his brother, Gerrick Kingsbloods "greatfather", they all met Starks. For eight milennia, the Stark of Winterfell was the measurement for the heroes of the Wildlings.

Countless Starks were Lord Commanders, First Rangers or simple rangers and met Wildlings.

In the North. the Starks of Winterfell are the biggest legend of all.

I think it's just poor writing on GRRM's part. We spent 3 books being told how ignorant and/or disrespectful the wildlings are of south-of-the-Wall culture, but these spearwives are suddenly aware and reverent of a house motto and refer to Ned as "Lord Eddard"? It's nonsense and flies in the face of the characterization of wildlings we've been given with no justification. Never mind the fact that they have a vehement hatred of Theon despite never having met him or the Stark boys before and knowing that he wasn't really their kin (wildlings seem more much literal in their interpretation of rules). Are these spearwives wildling scholars or something? The other possibilities I entertain are that they are either not who they seem to be (i.e. not spearwives at all) or they are being controlled by someone else (Bran? Bloodraven? Mel?), in which case this should have been revealed or needs be in the next book.

I think it's just poor writing on GRRM's part. We spent 3 books being told how ignorant and/or disrespectful the wildlings are of south-of-the-Wall culture, but these spearwives are suddenly aware and reverent of a house motto and refer to Ned as "Lord Eddard"? It's nonsense and flies in the face of the characterization of wildlings we've been given with no justification. Never mind the fact that they have a vehement hatred of Theon despite never having met him or the Stark boys before and knowing that he wasn't really their kin (wildlings seem more much literal in their interpretation of rules). Are these spearwives wildling scholars or something? The other possibilities I entertain are that they are either not who they seem to be (i.e. not spearwives at all) or they are being controlled by someone else (Bran? Bloodraven? Mel?), in which case this should have been revealed or needs be in the next book.

South of the Neck actually. The North is pretty well known, especially the Starks.

• 2 years later...

Because Mance is Rickard Stark's bastard son. Rickard who came up with a convenient story that Mance's father was killed by night's watch-men, I call bull-shit on how Mance's father was killed.

I like this, though I won't spend much time arguing it on textual merits. I can immediately point to Mel seeing him under his Rattleshirt glamour with grey eyes.

Of course, Luwin has grey eyes, too, soooo....another time, another thread.

I also like to believe that his mother is the woman Bran sees emerging from the pool, as wild and naked as Osha was. She wants a son that will avenge her (being taken by Rickard?) Timeline of visions fits, just after Lyanna and Benjen fighting.

Whelp, that's all I got.

• 2 months later...

Well, House Stark is so famous that its name is known beyond the Wall. Even Ygritte knew of House Stark. House Stark’s honor may have spread even behind the war, and Mance Raydar visited Winterfell before, so he was probably impressed by Ned’s honor and hospitality.

Mance probably told tales of his time behind the wall to the Free Folks too… or the woman could simply have been a resident that lived in Winterfell before it was put to the torch.

Archived