Modern Fantasy Book Recomendations (like Rothfuss or Gaiman)?

SingleMort

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any recommendations for modern fantasy books. By modern I mean written in the last few years.

I like Patrick Rothfuss Kingkiller Chronicles and a number of Neil Gaiman's books like Neverwhere. I have also read Jim Butcher, Greg Keyes, Robin Hobb, Joe Abercrombie, Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan, Feist and of course GRRM.

I don't like the Malazan books, The Prince of Nothing or Gentleman Bastards but I do like other dark or gritty books like The Painted (Warded) Man series.

I like epic stories and battles but I am not too bothered about that. I was looking for something with well developed interesting characters that aren't necessary perfect or dashing heroes but still likeable. Characters like Kvothe or Tyrion. I like some urban fantasy and fantasy set in our own world but I'm not looking for another Dresden Files or vampires. I also like a lot of historical fiction so something semi-historical or with an interesting history behind it would be great.

Any suggestions?

Edit: More specific? Okay something with a lot of interesting and extensive world building but which doesn't detract from the characters or story. Something multiple character perspectives. Something bittersweet or least not an overly cliche ending. Something possibly involving naval exploits , although not magic ships. Something where magic not widely used or had restrictions or rules placed upon it.

If you like Brent but not Lynch there is not much I can do for you...

But before the thread gets closed I will toss a couple.

Rachael Aaron- Legend of Eli Monpress. Not real gritty, but likable characters for sure. First book was a bit cartoon like, but picked up from there.

Kate Elliott- Crossroads series- Epic fantasy, hard to explain, but a long time peace is coming to an end type of story.

Shadows of the Apt series- More fantasy with a bit of steampunk, but becoming more and more popular around here.

The Anubis Gates, by Tim Powers. Time-travel, Egyptian gods, magical gypsies, and an excellent depiction of Georgian London.

Twelve, by Jasper Kent. Historical thriller set during Napolean's invasion of Russia in 1812.

Mod:

What are you actually looking for? Most of the stuff mentioned so far (and most of your own examples) are not particularly recent, and gritty-but-also-not-gritty is not a terribly useful metric. Either edit the OP to make it a bit more specific, or i'm afraid i'm just going to point you the way of the recommendation threads pinned up top and close the thread. Theres more information up there then you're going to get here unless you narrow things down.

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any recommendations for modern fantasy books. By modern I mean written in the last few years.

I like Patrick Rothfuss Kingkiller Chronicles and a number of Neil Gaiman's books like Neverwhere. I have also read Jim Butcher, Greg Keyes, Robin Hobb, Joe Abercrombie, Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan, Feist and of course GRRM.

I don't like the Malazan books, The Prince of Nothing or Gentleman Bastards but I do like other dark or gritty books like The Painted (Warded) Man series.

I like epic stories and battles but I am not too bothered about that. I was looking for something with well developed interesting characters that aren't necessary perfect or dashing heroes but still likeable. Characters like Kvothe or Tyrion. I like some urban fantasy and fantasy set in our own world but I'm not looking for another Dresden Files or vampires. I also like a lot of historical fiction so something semi-historical or with an interesting history behind it would be great.

Any suggestions?

Edit: More specific? Okay something with a lot of interesting and extensive world building but which doesn't detract from the characters or story. Something multiple character perspectives. Something bittersweet or least not an overly cliche ending. Something possibly involving naval exploits , although not magic ships. Something where magic not widely used or had restrictions or rules placed upon it.

Michael Swanswick Jack Faust

Robert Holdstock Mythago Woods

James Stoddard The High House and It's sequel The False House

Barry Hughart Bridge of Birds

David Drake The Dragon Lord

Tanith Lee 1. Nights Master

2. Death Master

3. Deliums Mistress

Michael Shea Nift The Lean

The Mines Of Behemoth

The Kane series by Wagner

1. Bloodstone

2.Darkness Weaves

3. Dark Crusade

4. Death Angels Shadow

5 NightWinds

A couple of others you may want to try:

Brent Weeks: his second series is getting better reviews than the first, but he's probably pretty close to what your looking for

Matthew Stover: Acts of Caine series. Try Heroes Die, it was way ahead of its time in the world of grity fantasy - very good stuff.

Guy Gavriel Kay - lions of al-rassan, Tigana, under heaven & last light of the sun

Mark Lawrence - Prince of Thorns & King of Thorns

Glen Cook - The tales of Black Comany

Douglas Hulick - Among Theives

Daniel Abraham - The dragons path

Archived