TYRION IS AERYS' SON

Quiet Isle

Now I'm playing Devil's Advocate here because I don't know how I feel about Tyrion is Aerys son theories. I just have a feeling Jon, Dany and Tyrion's destiny's will come together at some point, but I don't think them being blood kin is necessary for that.

I'm sorry if someone else has said it (I haven't gotten through the whole thread), but on him being "Twyin's son" from Genna Lannister, that would mean Jon Snow is Ned's son because everyone says he looks the most like Ned. And for whoever believes R+L=J, that is always discounted because he is Lyanna Stark's son, too.

In the same way, Tyrion would be half Lannister since Joanna was, too, if looks came into play (the one green eye). Also on him being "Twyin's son" from Genna Lannister, I think we can agree that she is talking of personality, and we don't even know what traits she means. Are they ruthlessness, intelligence? I know a lot of people thinks she means the twins are not Lannisters, but I really don't buy that theory. We've been in Tyrion and Jamie's heads, and yeah, after Clash, Tyrion thinks the most like Tywin Lannister. But he was raised by him. Jamie was raised by Tywin and chose not to be like him (his beloved sister had a lot of influence on that though). Tyrion was raised by him and was shunned for his dwarfism and tried to do the only thing he could to impress his father, which was use his brain and emulate him.

But if we think that blood tells everything and the only way Tyrion could be described as being like Tywin is if he is his true son, let's think about whose son the OP is talking about him being - Aerys Targaryen. And that wouldn't just be the blood of the Mad King, but the blood of all the Dragon King's before him that runs through his veins, and that could very well give him the personality he has if we think this is a nature vs. nurture debate.

This is one theory that I don't know about. The first time I heard it, I immediately dismissed it, but I have to admit that the reasons for it not being true are not as strong as I thought.

I know people are annoyed by all these secret Targ theories, but how many people have actually turned about to be Targs (other than Dany) for certain in the books - Maester Aemon and Bryden Rivers (I we want to count him). I cannot think of one other person that we know for a fact is Targ so please interject if I am mistaken. I agree that not all of the theorized people will be Targs (Tyrion, Cersei/Jamie, Darkstar, Aurane Waters, Daario), but one of the might.

• 3 years later...

I really don't understand all the posters who say there really isn't much evidence for Tyrion being the son of Aerys and a secret Targ. There's loads and loads and loads of hints throughout all the books. Mayhaps you all need to go back and reread and pick up on them. I don't understand why everyone takes what Genna says as complete evidence that he is Tywin's, she is only saying that Tyrion is the son who is most like Tywin. 

I really don't understand all the posters who say there really isn't much evidence for Tyrion being the son of Aerys and a secret Targ. There's loads and loads and loads of hints throughout all the books. Mayhaps you all need to go back and reread and pick up on them. I don't understand why everyone takes what Genna says as complete evidence that he is Tywin's, she is only saying that Tyrion is the son who is most like Tywin. 

I think now most people refer to this topic as A+J=T. I did not even know this particular thread on this topic even existed -- as it died on Nov. 9, 2012. If you want to see the most recent iteration of the debate regarding this topic, I believe my OP which had just gone to v. 8 and is now rolled back to v. 7 is on point regarding A+J=T (just click on the link). Basically, the OP collects information from different sources (including past threads and input from other posters and some of my own thoughts), and sets forth the basic arguments in favor of AJT. Maybe I should add a link to this thread to my OP? Since, 2012, however, TWOIAF came out, and it included more clues in favor of the theory, so some of the arguments against the theory (like that Joanna and Aerys were far from each other at the relevant time) from 2012 have been disproved already.

There is some school of thought that Tyrion is not Tywin's son. That Tywin was gone for a bit doing his job, and that the Mad King forced Lady Lannister into having relations. If you will recall, it was said that the previous dragons gradually died out after hatching some grotesque and small and unhealthy baby dragons. and i assume they cracked open the shell. If you use that both literally and metaphorically, then if indeed Tyrion is a Targaryen, and one of a mad corrupted king, this could well be a legacy of that line. and the dragon cracking open the dragon shell would be a metaphor of having split open his mother upon birth and causing her death. Just something to ponder. it also makes him NOT a KINSLAYER. Thoughts?

NOPE.

I really hope its false.

Everyone is NOT A SECRET TARG!!!!!

I know it's a possibility, but I would be really disappointed if Tyrion was Aerys' son since it would ruin his dynamics with Tywin, Jaime and Cersei at least to me, as well as free him up from kinslaying. 

I agree. The 'free pass' on the kinslaying would be an annoyance for me as a reader.

• 1 month later...

I don't like this theory. Even though I don't think it's crackpot. There's some real evidence for this theory. But I just don't know how many secret Targs I can take before it's not fun anymore. You have Jon and Aegon already. Do we really need another one? Plus Genna Lannister telling Jaime that Tyrion is most like Tywin is a clue toward him being Tywin's. But then I guess you can combat that with Tywin telling Tyrion you are no son of mine. Plus the history of Targs having stunted twisted children. But idk. I just don't want it to be true.

There is some school of thought that Tyrion is not Tywin's son. That Tywin was gone for a bit doing his job, and that the Mad King forced Lady Lannister into having relations. If you will recall, it was said that the previous dragons gradually died out after hatching some grotesque and small and unhealthy baby dragons. and i assume they cracked open the shell. If you use that both literally and metaphorically, then if indeed Tyrion is a Targaryen, and one of a mad corrupted king, this could well be a legacy of that line. and the dragon cracking open the dragon shell would be a metaphor of having split open his mother upon birth and causing her death. Just something to ponder. it also makes him NOT a KINSLAYER. Thoughts?

Nope.

Tyrion is not a secret Targaryen. There's only one secret Targaryen in the story and that's Jon Snow. This theory of Tyrion being a Targaryen is as silly as it is annoying.

Archived