Will the Greatjon ever make it out of the Frey dungeon?

This is a very icy position for the Freys. They cant allow a live witness to the RW to be freed or even have a chance to be. Everyone is going along with (though certainly not all believing) their bullshit story of "Night of the Living Wargs". If a witness with as much clout at the Greatjon were ever to spread the truth, that would be the end of not only the Freys, but the Boltons too. It wouldnt suprise me if the Freys had already killed him.

This is a very icy position for the Freys. They cant allow a live witness to the RW to be freed or even have a chance to be. Everyone is going along with (though certainly not all believing) their bullshit story of "Night of the Living Wargs". If a witness with as much clout at the Greatjon were ever to spread the truth, that would be the end of not only the Freys, but the Boltons too. It wouldnt suprise me if the Freys had already killed him.

Ya this can certainly be true because they would have seen the lannister host disband in river lands when jamie left brienne so definitely they must have done that.

But the main slaughter took place in the Great Hall, Robb was there, this was where he apparently turned into a wolf, and started the fighting. GJ was not there, and I don't think anyone apart from Cat survived (in a sense) from a Stark favourable side.

But the main point is no one believes the story, so it doesn't matter. As long as they have the throne backing them up they don't care. And furthermore once Walder dies, Edwyn (or not impossibly Black Walder) will inherit, and set up a bunch of Freys to take the fall.

No one believes that, that's not the official story :P That's just the story they tell manderly because they think he is a fat idiot. Well he gets the last laugh. Or is that piece of pie? ;)

With the prisoners at the twins on their way to kings landing (Walder wont risk betraying his new lannister masters) it's likely that the BwB will launch a rescue attempt, both to kill alot of Frey guards and to embarrass the Freys

We then have Jamie, Stoneheart, Brienne Great Jon et al and possibly Sandor all lumped together in the Riverlands

Why is everyone so confident he will be freed and somehow take vengeance? This is GRRM we are talking about.

Because the Great John's sigil is the giant in shattered chains. It would be too epic for him to be his sigil come to life and then bash the hell out of the Freys. I'm holding out hope that this was foreshadowing and not a false easter egg.

But the main slaughter took place in the Great Hall, Robb was there, this was where he apparently turned into a wolf, and started the fighting. GJ was not there, and I don't think anyone apart from Cat survived (in a sense) from a Stark favourable side.

But the main point is no one believes the story, so it doesn't matter. As long as they have the throne backing them up they don't care. And furthermore once Walder dies, Edwyn (or not impossibly Black Walder) will inherit, and set up a bunch of Freys to take the fall.

I know no one really believes the frey story. its just that if it is publically stated that the Freys and Boltons conspired to murder Robb under guest right, that would be the galvanizing enough that the entire north and even some southron houses would rise to help crush them. Plus how would the Faith Militant and their new hardline High Septon react to the violation of guest rights (a major sin IIRC).

I buy into the great northern conspiracy theory, but if the Greatjon escapes- the north will have lots of allies from the south. The Freys and Boltons cant allow this to happen, the ice is rotten enough as it is. Especially with the waning power of the lannisters (Cersei- declawed, for now. Jamie missing, Kevan dead, Tommen chubby little puppet of the HSepton and Margy.). If it is publically acknowleged that the Freys have done this dont you see this as the opportunity for the Tyrells to seize complete control over Tommen?

I know no one really believes the frey story. its just that if it is publically stated that the Freys and Boltons conspired to murder Robb under guest right, that would be the galvanizing enough that the entire north and even some southron houses would rise to help crush them. Plus how would the Faith Militant and their new hardline High Septon react to the violation of guest rights (a major sin IIRC).

I buy into the great northern conspiracy theory, but if the Greatjon escapes- the north will have lots of allies from the south. The Freys and Boltons cant allow this to happen, the ice is rotten enough as it is. Especially with the waning power of the lannisters (Cersei- declawed, for now. Jamie missing, Kevan dead, Tommen chubby little puppet of the HSepton and Margy.). If it is publically acknowleged that the Freys have done this dont you see this as the opportunity for the Tyrells to seize complete control over Tommen?

The North doesn't need galvanising, they want the hostages back, but that's the only thing keeping them sweet, they know exactly what happened, and can't wait to start chopping heads.

I'm not sure the southerners care enough to go to war over it, and if the North is coming down in force they may well fight against them. Who knows what the Faith will do? They seem extremely fundamental religiously, not likely to look favourably upon 'tree worship.'

The guest right is an old custom, not a religious thing :P If it is religious it is rooted in the old faith. I don't see the faith taking any action, they are more concerned with the princesses anyways.

Woo roots, woodland puns. Don't ask for more, you'd be barking up the wrong weirwood.

Because it serves to have him as a hostage as it did (they think) for Whiteharbour. He can still get the chop tho....especially if the Umbers turn in the upcoming battle of ice.

BTW Did any Umber men escape the Red wedding?

I mean from a plot purpose. Why didn't GRRM kill him off like everyone else at the RW if he didn't plan on using him again for something?

The guest right is an old custom, not a religious thing :P If it is religious it is rooted in the old faith. I don't see the faith taking any action, they are more concerned with the princesses anyways.

Woo roots, woodland puns. Don't ask for more, you'd be barking up the wrong weirwood.

I always assumed the violation of guest rights was considered a sin because it has been labelled as such by multiple people from all regions and held sacrosanct by most of the houses in westeros, save the vile ones. i guess i shouldnt assume.

The North doesn't need galvanising, they want the hostages back, but that's the only thing keeping them sweet, they know exactly what happened, and can't wait to start chopping heads.

I'm not sure the southerners care enough to go to war over it, and if the North is coming down in force they may well fight against them. Who knows what the Faith will do? They seem extremely fundamental religiously, not likely to look favourably upon 'tree worship.'

I guess what i am trying to say is that if the narrative of what happened at the RW were to be challenged by someone like the Greatjon, then the north, as a united front, would act immediately. The reason i brought up the southron lords is that i believe that the Tyrells and Martells would see this as the spark they would need to ruin house lannister since the lannisters would most definately be tied to it. Both have motives such as revenge for the martells and dominance of the iron throne for the Tyrells, both accomplishing this while not needing to raise banners.

I am not saying that the Faith Militant would unite with the north, but i would see them trying to dispose the letcherous and sinful House Frey, which is in the riverlands- a region of New Gods worshipers.

Archived