Comic Books, part 3

haLobEnder

Last one's over 400 posts, so I figured we should start a new one.

Xavier was doing shady, creepy things back in the 60's- having the Vanisher frozen, mind-wiping people left and right, going into their students minds without permission every other issue, faking his death and not bothering telling anyone, and so on. The "saint Chuck" only came much later.

And the antipathy towards the characters comes from the fact that his role as grand leader of the X-men was outdated- even in the 60's, you already had stories about the X-men out growing him, and it came up again in the DPS. He could have other roles- maybe a political leader, maybe a contact in SHIELD, but they never bothered, so of course he became irrelevant and annoying.

Everyone was a dick in the early days of comics... it was just, you know, a thing.

I don't really think Xavier did anything truly morally reprehensible --at least to the point where comic audiences wouldn't be able to forgive and forget in a couple years time-- until Deadly Genesis retcon and the whole thing with Vulcan.

Flipped through Rex Mundi at Barnes - anyone reading this? I feel like someone mentioned a ways back?

That was me' date=' and I highly recommend checking it out if you're at all interested in the occult, secret societies, secret history, or anything along those lines.

Be warned though, it's not a light read. I have a hard time thinking of a comic series I've encountered more meticulously researched and thought out as Rex Mundi. Much like Watchmen, every issue ends with a newspaper segment that gives valuable background information on the world, its people and events. Some of it is just flavouring, but some of it is pretty essential to the story.

I have a few trepidations about where the story may be headed [spoiler']lets just say if I'm right, for good or ill, it shares something in common with Dan Brown's most popular novel

but so far there's no indication that Arvid Nelson is trying to polemicize any wacko conspiracy threories here, just harnessing some of them in the interest of telling a good story.

Unless Cyclops does something while imprisoned in his private prison, Beast is really going overboard in his hatred of him. Travelling back in time and telling younger Scott he will commit mutant genocide?!

Isn't that the complete opposite of what Cyclops has done? If this had any chance of being properly done time travel then I'd think Cyclops spending his entire adult life thinking he'd commit mutant genocide could be quite a strong reason for why he did whatever was necessary to save the mutant race. Then I remember it's a Marvel comic, written by Bendis and no such thing will happen.

How long is it until we find out he used to beat Jean Grey and that's why she went Dark Phoenix? Or that there's a load of abuse claims put in by the younger generation of mutants he used to teach?

The conversations in All New All Different is probably going to be hilarious.

Cyclops: "I kill the professor, hang out with Magneto on his old base and are married to a hot blode?"

Jean: "I'm going to die? Twice?"

Beast: "I'm going all blue and furry?"

Angel: "I get transformed by an evil mutant into his servant, eventually become's the heir of that evil servant and dies, then comes back? And in between I have sex with a teenager while flying just above her mother?"

Iceman: "You mean I practically stay the same and nothing significant ever happens to me?"

Cyclops: "I kill the professor, hang out with Magneto on his old base and are married to a hot blode?"

Angel: "I get transformed by an evil mutant into his servant, eventually become's the heir of that evil servant and dies, then comes back? And in between I have sex with a teenager while flying just above her mother?"

Iceman: "You mean I practically stay the same and nothing significant ever happens to me?"

Good call on their pasts. Throw in the "we've slept with everyone else, twice" and I think everything is covered. I forget how fucked up Angel's history is.

Unless Cyclops does something while imprisoned in his private prison, Beast is really going overboard in his hatred of him. Travelling back in time and telling younger Scott he will commit mutant genocide?!

I think at this point Scott is to blame for everything. Nice try, Marvel, I love him even more.

Beats is such a whiny narc.

And if he can travel back in time, why not stop M-Day from happening you dumb furry idiot? He may have all the PhDs in the world he is dumb as a brick.

Also, preview for Consequences #2 has Wolverine lecturing Cyclops about murdering. That's like the highest form of hypocrisy there is, right? I swear my head is going to explode if I keep reading this.

If in 3 years time we don't have a comic where Cyclops kicks these people in the balls I'll be pissed.

Doesn't Logan murder someone in basically every issue of his series?

Eh, these days he's some kind of Marvel's renaissance man and Captain America's waterboy.

So Scott Snyder & Jim Lee on anew Superman book next year. Since it's the 75th anniversary and all I was kind of hoping they would try to deliver on that long lost prmise of Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean. 75 years, DC. Go wild.

Also, this being Jim Lee they might mis that anniversary.

Still, it's Jim Lee so for once Superman is going to sell well. Top 10 for sure. <sigh>

I'll keep an open mind on Snyder. His Batman is over-hyped with ticking every cliche box Batman has: Gotham is a character itself; check. Joker is a force of nature; check. Bruce Wayne is justa amask; check. Joker know that Bruce is Batman; check. the last one is kind of an unspoken truth, but Snyder in his quest to always tell the ULTIMATE story just had to bring it up. Like a good Geoff Johns that he is.

We're going to try to deliver to you the biggest and most kick-ass Superman story we can. I'm writing the features and the back-ups. It'll be big and gamechanging but have a lot of intimacy, a lot of American History.

Of course you will.

Forgot to add Warren will believe he's an actual Angel. Seriously, this conversation is the only reason why I'll read All New X-Men :rofl:

This is Beast's stick these days: whine about Cyclops, despite the fact he offered no sollution whatsoever to the problems of the X-men.

And also in every issue of X-force and occasionally on the X-teams he's on. The only Wolverine that could lecture anyone about killing is the 90s animated one who only really used his claws when fighting robots. When your power is to have razor sharp claws it's kind of hard not to kill people,.

Knowing Logan, he'll give Cyclops some bullshit along the lines of Cyclops is supposed to be better than him "Wolverine does all the killing so you don't have to"

To be honest what they are trying to do with Cyclops at the moment is the exact same as what caused me to stop reading x-men and then Spider-man several years ago. When they just pull the rug out from years of character development and do something new. Eg Morrison's X-men and JMS Spider-man (although some of JMS stuff needed a quiet retcon). I'm not even against the change per se as long as it makes sense. For example if they want Cyclops to be evil and guilty of genocide then couldn't they have shown him wipe out a nation (some made up middle-eastern/African nation) or do some genuinely evil things instead of save a race?

Like Nephrite says, we just have to hope this is building up to a huge "fuck you everyone, Cyclops had a point", otherwise Alonso needs to get a tighter leash on his editors considering Cyclops is his favourite character.

As for the Lee/Snyder Superman title - surely everyone knows it's going to be called "man of Steel" when that's the name of the film coming out at the same time?

It's funny in the Snyder interview how he goes on at length about treating every story arc like his final one and how he couldn't possibly say how long he'd stay on a title as it's always one story at a time. then he says "Oh I've got three other Batman stories in the pipeline too". Do you think when he has more than two ideas for a character in a row he has to mentally order them so that he knows the next one will be the BEST STORY EVAH?

I like the guy but I really hope he doesn't genuinely believe every successive story is his best one ever. It may be true for now but at some point it wont be (speaking about his own work and not every Batman/superman story)

halO - thanks for the rec. It definitely is intriguing. I'm a big fan of conspiracies and the like.

It'll be big and gamechanging but have a lot of intimacy, a lot of American History.

Snyder's the Owl dude right? Hopefully that conspiracy doesn't get extending to Metropolis...

Snyder backtracks in saying that it's not exactly the same as Night of Owls although I'd be amazed if Zod isn't the villain considering that's who the villain in the film will be. Hopefully it won't be that Zod and his two sidekicks built Metropolis and secretly run the whole city. That's what Luthor does, right?

And if he can travel back in time, why not stop M-Day from happening you dumb furry idiot?

Wasn't there some weird shit where Wanda made a knot in fate/ time so almost no mutants could exist anywhere in ant parallel reality?

the preview blurb on AVX consequences has me a little confused. So are there now 1000s of mutants spontaneously appearing? Or is it just mutants hitting puberty discovering powers? The blurb suggests people are suddenly mutants - which could almost be as catastrophic as when mutants spontaneouly lost their powers on M-day. It would be good to get an insight into that happening. I thought it just meant that mutants could be born now, in which case there still aren't many of them.

I'm just confused because it seems an over-reaction to build special suits to imprison them all if there's still only 200 ish of them. I maybe missed something and all the mutants who lost their powers and are still alive got them back in which case there should be 100s of thousands of them. Which seems to be the case.

Cyclops Extiction team suddenly seem a bit crap if the whole point of them was to be an almost unstoppable force if they had to be, I guess without scott's leadership and several of them separating they aren't so tough any more.

Forgot to add Warren will believe he's an actual Angel.

He might as well e an actual angel since he can resurrect pets and stuff--

Why didn't he resurrect Xavier is another question.

This is Beast's stick these days: whine about Cyclops, despite the fact he offered no sollution whatsoever to the problems of the X-men.

Seriously, he's so butthurt about Cyclops that he's willing to mess with the timeline. I mean, what's the 15-year old version of Cyclops gonna tell grown-up Cyclops? Why would anybody listen to his teenage self? And you just know this will amount to nothing. Marvel just cleaned the board as great jump-on point for the readers, but for some reason they plan to muck with that in one book?

Wasn't there some weird shit where Wanda made a knot in fate/ time so almost no mutants could exist anywhere in ant parallel reality?

Man, if they used "weird time-knot" as an explanation I wouldn't say a thing about it ever again.

the preview blurb on AVX consequences has me a little confused. So are there now 1000s of mutants spontaneously appearing? Or is it just mutants hitting puberty discovering powers? The blurb suggests people are suddenly mutants - which could almost be as catastrophic as when mutants spontaneouly lost their powers on M-day. It would be good to get an insight into that happening. I thought it just meant that mutants could be born now, in which case there still aren't many of them.

I'm just confused because it seems an over-reaction to build special suits to imprison them all if there's still only 200 ish of them. I maybe missed something and all the mutants who lost their powers and are still alive got them back in which case there should be 100s of thousands of them. Which seems to be the case.

They just appeared out of the blue. Like some girl suddenly got wings in AvX #12. I don't know if any of the old mutannts got their powers back Like Jubilee or on of the unpopular ones.

It's dumb really. Did this people have the x-gene or did they get it cause of the Phoenix. Marvel probably doesn't know.

They just appeared out of the blue. Like some girl suddenly got wings in AvX #12. I don't know if any of the old mutannts got their powers back Like Jubilee or on of the unpopular ones.

It's dumb really. Did this people have the x-gene or did they get it cause of the Phoenix. Marvel probably doesn't know.

You'd think when rebranding the marvel universe it wouldn't take much effort to lay out exactly what happened with the rebirth of mutants. Then again they couldn't be arsed coming up with a set of rules for why some mutants escaped "no more mutants" other than "the popular ones survived". Wasn't it some nonsense about being psionically shielded by Emma Frost? Didn't explain all the the people who weren't near her at the time.

If it was people getting their mutations back that makes sense. If it was someone who hit puberty after decimation that'd make sense too. If it's just random people getting random mutations then it's a bit nutty.

Maybe the new Spider-man is a recenlty mutated JJ Jameson? I wish I could say that as a 100% joke but to be honest I wouldn't rule out any batshit ideas as far as Marvel is concerned,

Archived