Arya Stark’s plan and the Twins theory

One of the hits Arya might be given could very well be a Frey. I don't think anybody in Westeros likes them, and I could see any number of people wanting to hire a FM to take old Walder and co. out. She doesn't know any of them, so it'd be a suitable contract kill for her. While completing this mission, she might link back up with Nymeria and decide to abandon the FMs, thinking that killing Freys is more fulfilling.

I actually like the idea of her giving up the FM job and becoming a ghost of the twins. Jaqen was the ghost of Harrenhal so why not have her as the Ghost of the Twins, at least for a bit. Her wolf could keep the outside occupied while she works inside.

Here is my dilemma in everything related to the FM. Many targets have been mentioned. Some that I would love to see happen. But to be realistic, how much does it cost for such a assassination? What person is worth killing that it costs the kingdom a kingdoms worth of gold? Who can afford this in these troubled times besides Braavos? Cersei's debt to the bank? I've considered the enemies of Dany putting their funds together to be rid of her to get back to their normal lives. Possibly LF pinching off the crown into his own coffers could be a candidate.

Unless Arya goes rogue or the FM have their own agenda, I've had a hard time justifying the target due to the money constraint thing.

I may be wrong but I got the impression that the cost of the assassination was based on the person asking not the target. I certainly don't think that it is a flat fee. The HOBW didn't strike me as ridiculously lavish. The FM had many assassinations planned the night Arya served as a cup bearer. If that many were bought at a price that it is cheaper for the crown to give away a lordship, than where is the money. My impression is that there gift will not come cheap to you regardless of who you are so that you never employ there services on a whim, but only with great thought. I don't think they are particularly motivated by money.

The kindly man was waiting for her at the House of Black and White, seated on the edge of the temple pool. The ugly girl sat next to him and put a coin on the lip of the pool between them. It was gold, with a dragon on one face and a king on the other.

“The golden dragon of Westeros,” said the kindly man. “And how did you come by this? We are no thieves.”

Arya may very well pull a Luke Skywalker, halt her training to take care of some business only to return to finish it when shes done. The 5 year gap was plenty of time for her to realistically be trained as a FM and for her to grow up and mature a bit. Now, any plan she enacts has to be concieved by a partially trained 11/12 year old FM, which means it won't be too sophisticated. Unless the order helps her take revenge Godfather style, where they simultaneously kill all the people on her list to make some sort of bold statement. But that seems like a stretch.

• 1 month later...

All of this is based on all what is already implied in large way..... generally GRRM uses a tiny fact which was told before but not given notice.... Arya may kill Frey Supreme.... OH SHIT..... TEEN BRIDE... Arya will come to frey as a teen bride and then will kill him without him knowing.... not much fuss has been shown on Frey's Teen Brides till now and that is a way arya is most familiar with... just got this idea while reading this page

• 1 year later...

My view of Arya is like dropping out of bootcamp before someone becomes a soldier. She'll learn form the FM but never go all in to the end. If she did she is lost. She will leave eventually. Seriously, she learned more from Syrio. She pulls his advice out at the most crucial moments. It has always put her in good stead, kept her calm, clear headed before she makes a move, etc. And then there are the sword skills too.

She has the stealth, street smart, and unassuming look of a young girl, little do they know. She would be helpful to whoever she encounters in Westeros. Because she either meets up with the BWB, or someone finds her when she arrives, Brienne, Jaime, and they lead her to the protection of numbers. Not sure who, maybe the BWB and Stoneheart that way? Or Stark banners but I am not sure of the point A to point B on that scenario. Plus, I can't see her not meeting up with Nymeria and having more strength in numbers due to the pack either.

My view of Arya is like dropping out of bootcamp before someone becomes a soldier. She'll learn form the FM but never go all in to the end. If she did she is lost. She will leave eventually. Seriously, she learned more from Syrio. She pulls his advice out at the most crucial moments. It has always put her in good stead, kept her calm, clear headed before she makes a move, etc. And then there are the sword skills too.

She has the stealth, street smart, and unassuming look of a young girl, little do they know. She would be helpful to whoever she encounters in Westeros. Because she either meets up with the BWB, or someone finds her when she arrives, Brienne, Jaime, and they lead her to the protection of numbers. Not sure who, maybe the BWB and Stoneheart that way? Or Stark banners but I am not sure of the point A to point B on that scenario. Plus, I can't see her not meeting up with Nymeria and having more strength in numbers due to the pack either.

I agree. Arya is more commited to her list than she is the FM. She is playing them for the knowledge, as a means to her goal. I don't know who's life she ends but I doubt it will be someone she loves, no matter what the FM expect.

I also am pretty convinced that the wolves will play a big part, either by wiping out the Freys with Arya or somehow joining a major military operation in the North. Judging from the packs location, I can't see them any further North than the Neck, but who knows?

I suspect that the KM's remark that basilisk venom could make a "savory glaze" on meats was a case of "chekhov"s garnish." What better way for Walder Frey to see his heirs destroy each other than for him to watch them have a venom-induced psychotic break and murder each other after a nice serving of Arya's famous glazed aurochs? (Arya would infiltrate the Twins glamoured or face-changed as a serving girl; or if she left the FM too soon to learn glamours, she could just slip into the kitchen. She's worked as a scullery maid before and knows how to pose as a commoner).

Nymeria's pack wouldn't be so great inside a castle where doors can be barred, but they could wait outside to devour everyone fleeing the rabid heirs to House Frey.

I know there are myths in which the gods curse families with madness and make them slay each other at a feast; I just can't think of any specific ones at the moment.

I'd love for Lothar to turn out to be a rat-skinchanger--then his deviousness would turn out to be aided by his ability to listen in on people from inside the walls. If Lothar and Walder both warged into rats, Walder could be perpetually compelled to feed on all the other rats in the starving, abandoned, snowed-in Twins. Some of those rats would be the offspring of Lothar in his second life. (I am aware that the rat-skinchanging scenario is unlikely, since there has been no foreshadowing of it and the Freys aren't known for keeping the Old Gods).

This massive vengeance might even work in the GRRM-iverse, where punishment often exceeds the crime and draws bystanders into the maelstrom. There are Freys who do not deserve to die--the mistreated wives and daughters among them. Should Arya meet a Frey daughter, lying on the ground too injured to attack anyone, too poisoned not to keep striking and/or biting at anything that passes, and just self aware enough to know she is mad and in ask for the Gift of Mercy, Arya would have an opportunity to give her the gift--and then go on to see women and children being slaughtered by rabid Freys and her wolves outside the walls. Arya realizes that the injured rabid Frey girl and Lady Stoneheart (if they meet) symbolize what she has become, while witnessing the indiscriminate slaughter of an entire household shows her the consequences of being what she has become. Committing this act bordering on genocide could move her to a different path at last (while a surviving Frey might give her name at the House of Black and White).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived