What are we drinking now?

Reposado

Anyone here know a good scotch that's in the Laphroaig range?

Flavour-wise, you mean? Well, there's not much like Laphroaig, but I prefer Ardbeg, which is peatier, but drier and not quite so medicinal. Lagavulin is lovely, but expensive and mixes more sherry flavours with the peat. Caol Ila is very reasonable, but not nearly so peaty. Maybe you could try a peated mainland malt like BenRiach Curiositas or Ardmore, or even a blended malt like Smokehead.

Flavour-wise, you mean? Well, there's not much like Laphroaig, but I prefer Ardbeg, which is peatier, but drier and not quite so medicinal. Lagavulin is lovely, but expensive and mixes more sherry flavours with the peat. Caol Ila is very reasonable, but not nearly so peaty. Maybe you could try a peated mainland malt like BenRiach Curiositas or Ardmore, or even a blended malt like Smokehead.

Thanks Hereward! I prefer single malt, so I think I'll try and get me some Ardbeg, or maybe BenRiach.

Some of those whiskys should come with a pronunciaton-key, btw. Just saying.

Of course, if you want to go totally over the top with peat, and have no budgetary restrictions (or respect for your taste buds), get an Octomore.

I'd also recommend trying the blended malt. I won't drink blended whisky neat, but that's because it's harsh and lacking in genuine flavour because of the addition of grain alcohol to the malt. Blended malt doesn't have this problem, so can be every bit as good as a single malt, and some would claim even better.

With you on the pronunciation key, by the way. Finding out how Ledaig is pronounced was probably my biggest WTF moment.

Archived