Ned's crypt, Lady Dustin, Pink letter

phishphan

I have seen people mention that there may be clues in the crypts. I think it's more than a mere clue, Ned hid evidence of his promise to Lyanna in his own crypt, a letter of explanation (possibly one written to Jon, another to Catlyn) only to be revealed after his death. Jon had nightmares about the crypt. Abel's "washerwomen" wanted Theon to show them the crypts. They could have been put up to that by Melisandre. Further, after the tower of joy, Ned heads to starfall to return the sword. This is where wylla is. Next he heads to return Willam Dustin's horse to Lady dustin. Presumably he has Jon with him, possibly even wylla (as his real mother or as wet nurse). Then Ned returns to Winterfell.

Lady Dustin makes Theon take her to the crypts. It could be that she knows something from something Wylla says, or just mothers intuition. Either way, she may suspect something is fishy. Where else would Ned hide something than in his own crypt? I think she returns to the crypt at a later time, finds out what Ned promised Lyanna, which leads to the pink letter.

Whether R+L=J is true or not this can apply. One thing for sure, there has been alot of interest in the crypts. Something is there.

One thing for sure, there has been alot of interest in the crypts. Something is there.

I am very curious about Lynna's tomb. or what's under her statue. or INSIDE OF IT. This could be THE SWORD IN THE STONE. break the statue open, and there is the SWORD OF DAWN. i think Ned brought it back with him, along with Lyanna's remains (and a baby targ). Ever wonder why we never see any other WOMEN tombs down there? just hers. chekov's gun.

I am very curious about Lynna's tomb. or what's under her statue. or INSIDE OF IT. This could be THE SWORD IN THE STONE. break the statue open, and there is the SWORD OF DAWN. i think Ned brought it back with him, along with Lyanna's remains (and a baby targ). Ever wonder why we never see any other WOMEN tombs down there? just hers. chekov's gun.

Well ned did something in GoT that the crypts with statues were only supposed to be for the Kings of Winter and Lords of Winterfell, thereby procluding any women, but that Lyanna was an exception (and correct me if I'm wrong) because her father loved her and all his children that much.

I did not think Ned's body has arrived yet - it is still somewhere in the Neck, maybe with Howland Reed, who we haven't seen for years but who knows much about what the First Men knew forgotten now in Winterfell.

I think Lady Dustin opened the crypts for a reason - and I am still wondering why.

She protested too much to Theon of her Stark hatred, so I think she is like Theon and really wanted to be a Stark, so deep down, as someone above said, she may have a motherly instinct to protect them. But if she truly had empathy, she could have done more to help fake Arya and the abuse she suffers. Yet I have also read that since the Northmen might very well know Arya is a fake, they did not intervene to help her. Lady D does ask Theon to keep her quiet because people are upset hearing her cry - so to me it is a quandary why Ramsay was allowed to do the horrible things he did, even with a dog.

The North have too much animosity against the Boltons: Roose and the red wedding and Ramsay with Lady Donella Hornwood eating her fingers.

I also think the Boltons have taken up residence in WF while a Stark is present, the little lord hiding behind the face of the heart tree in the godswood. He saw the mummer's show the Bolton's put on, along with a murder of ravens. Bran also knows about the sex - for a raven quorks in the godswood on the marriage night.

I hope there is some proof in the crypts, but I wonder if Howland has the proof that is needed? It seems a safer place to store important documents - like Robb's will.

So - why has Howland never left the Neck? I have a wild idea: he is sitting on a weirwood throne of his own. :dunce: An envoy will need to go to him. Just ideas. The crypts fascinate me. I have lots of theories about what they will mean - and I hope whatever it is, it involves an ugly fate for Roose and son. :dunno:

I don't think Lady Dustin is too trustworthy or she at least has little to no love for Ned Stark. She said something to the effect that she was planning on stealing Ned's bones before they got to Winterfell so her dogs could eat them out of anger for taking her husband to his death.

I do wonder what she wanted to see in the crypts thoughs...

I do wonder what she wanted to see in the crypts thoughs...

While she's down in the crypts Lady Dustin makes a throwaway line about how two of the stone Starks are missing their swords. Now this means nothing to Theon,but we the reader know the reason why the swords are missing is that Bran and Hodor took them when they were hiding in the crypts back in ACoK.

However the swords were mentioned before in ADwD when Lord Manderley introduces Davos to Wex who recounts his story about seeing Bran and Rickon and their companions leaving the crypts. Now the two swords again are a tiny detail amongst the rest of the story.

However lets say purely hypothetically Lord Manderley has told Lady Dustin Wex's story too, now when she goes down to the crypts and sees that two of the swords are indeed missing does that make her more inclined to believe the story and its implications? Those being that her Stark lords may well be alive.

While she's down in the crypts Lady Dustin makes a throwaway line about how two of the stone Starks are missing their swords. Now this means nothing to Theon,but we the reader know the reason why the swords are missing is that Bran and Hodor took them when they were hiding in the crypts back in ACoK.

However the swords were mentioned before in ADwD when Lord Manderley introduces Davos to Wex who recounts his story about seeing Bran and Rickon and their companions leaving the crypts. Now the two swords again are a tiny detail amongst the rest of the story.

However lets say purely hypothetically Lord Manderley has told Lady Dustin Wex's story too, now when she goes down to the crypts and sees that two of the swords are indeed missing does that make her more inclined to believe the story and its implications? Those being that her Stark lords may well be alive.

This is a really good theory. I like it.

But I also think those swords are part of the ward on the crypts keeping the dead Stark's remains at bay.

But the events that happen at WF, to me, constitutes a violation of the laws of hospitality, so maybe Dustin opens the crypts to allow some mischief on behalf of Howland Reed? even the CoF.

If the dead Starks are part of the tree in WF, what magic is needed to break the ward and allow the dead to rise?

Some people believe blood - Theon's blood specifically. But I think Bolton blood may be more tasty.

Also, just my wild idea, but since the older Starks were closer to the Cof, I think their direwolves may be buried with them. I would like to see the Starks and their wolves rise to a bloody vengeance for the crimes against the Starks and others.

Just my ideas. :dunce:

Certainly Lady Dustin and Theon noticed the missing swords but there is nothing to indicate that Wex informed Manderly/Davos about crypts or swords.

Wex did not know they had hidden in the crypts or removed swords.

I know you mentioned Manderly informing Lady D about the Stark boys as a hypothetical,but really this is very unlikely.Manderly hates the Boltons,whereas Roose believe Dustin to be his most loyal ally.

Manderly is not going to reveal his ace in the hole to an enemy,and one that hates Starks at that.

I think in this case,Lady Dustin wanted to see Brandons tomb and gloat about Ned's bones and her plans to feed them to her dogs.

I think we can make an educated guess as to the method of Dustin's demise at this point.

I've always thought Lady Dustin meant more to the plot than meets the eye!

:agree: The lady dost protest too much - she goes on too much about her Stark hatred. She was trying to get a response from Theon, and opening the crypts is a more sinister act on the part of the North, but especially Dustin. She lives too close to the Neck - too close to Howland Reed and all the knowledge the first men knew long forgfotten in WF.

Is it too crackpot to guess HR had her open those crypts? :dunce:

I think Lady Dustin is speaking truthfully when she says she hates the Starks. She may be important later on, but I don't see her being a secret agent for the Starks and I CERTAINLY don't see Manderly telling her his plans about Rickon. I'm pretty sure the people that know about that are Robett Glover, Manderly, and Davos.. that's about it.

I think Lady Dustin is complicated. She hates the Starks, yet she once loved Brandon, until she lost him.

She says she hates Ned for taking her husband from her and returning only his horse. Ned probably had a reason - to spare her. Do we know in what matter he died? Were his remains burned at the TOJ? Or were their bones placed under the earth in cairns? Or are their ashes under cairns?

However, I think Ned did the right thing by the men of the North. It may have been difficult to travel with all the dead and a baby, wet nurse, Lyanna's corpse, Berbary's horse, and the sword of Dawn along with Ice. :dunno:

That's just what I am thinking. I am not married to my ideas. I like to speculate and bounce ideas off others. :dunno:

The Hodor part was a joke. I was just thinking that if Ned really did bring Dawn to Winterfell he probably store it in the crypts. If Jon is the next Sword of the Morning that would explain why Ned took Dawn to Winterfell.

Ned has honor. Dawn belongs to House Dayne. He would have left it there.

Archived