The Quiet Isle Theory

OberynBlackfyre

Soo there is obviously many theories surrounding the Quiet Isle and who exactly is a resident. After re-reading the chapter I think there is a couple things we can know for sure. The Elder Brother obviously knows much more than he is claiming, maybe even concealing his own identity. Yet I do not think that the Elder Brother is Rhaegar, as I also read the Cersei chapter in AFFC and he was said to have one of the most handsome faces, and sad eyes. The Elder Brother has neither, though he looks knightly. I feel it is safe to say though, that Sandor Clegane is the new Gravedigger. This being told by his size, and also Dog being attracted to him, and him taking time out to pet Dog. Plus, the Elder Brother proceeds to tell Brienne that he knows "little of this man named the Hound," yet right after basically tells him The Hounds life story, right down to a lot of his motivations.

This being said, it is possible that the Elder Brother could be a member of the Kingsguard from the time of Aerys II, yet he is said to have healing powers even beyond that of a maester....which kind of makes me feel that he could be a northman healer of the Old Gods.

I know this has been chewed on, but do you guys actually think that the Quiet Isle will be a pivotal part within the next books?

Elder Brother couldn't have been a healer of the Old Gods as he was a knight. He has no reason to lie about his past to Brienne. The only Kingsguard at the Trident were Barristan the Bold, Ser Jonothor Darry and Prince Lewyn Martell.

Men of Aerys's KG don't sound like people who were alcoholics or rapers.

I think Sandor may have left the QI shortly after Brienne when he heard of her quest, or he may leave when he word gets out that Sansa is in the Vale and he goes to protect her from Cersei.

If he's hiding his identity, the most likely suspect would be Jonothor Darry, the only one of Aerys' Kingsguard whose fate hasn't been sufficiently accounted for. The only thing to counter this is the Elder Brother's statement that he didn't know the guys he was fighting for personally, and Darry would have known Rhaegar well enough on that front. Then yet again, it wouldn't be the first story he'd told with deliberate misleadings.

I've heard the Jon Darry theory too, the only thing about it I don't like is that he goes into so much detail about how he fought for a lord who fought for a lord who fought for a lord who decided to support the dragon instead of the stag. He talks about how Rhaegar wouldn't have recognized him and how his only thoughts during the battle after he lost his horse were of finding another horse because if he didn't, he would no longer be considered a knight. Rhaegar would definitely recognize him, if he lost his horse he would still be in the Kingsguard, but maybe he was just saying these things to conceal his identity because he really doesn't want anyone to know.

I would be willing to go for a theory that says he is one of the Darry sons who was a knight if he's not Jon Darry, because in the chapter right before this Jaime shows up at Castle Darry. If it's just a coincidence, that's fine, but could be it's not.

I don't think the Elder Brother is anyone of significance. His story was put in there to give the perspective of the average knight in battle.

I'm 99% sure that the gravedigger is Sandor. My thinking is that he left the QI after Brienne. I'm hoping that the statement "a hound will die for you" does not come true though, :frown5: although I feel that's his fate. I could see Sandor and Brienne having some interesting conversations about being considered ugly and loving someone beautiful.

I don't really care who the Elder Brother is as long as Sandor's alive. But why would he lie to Brienne and say Sandor was dead? :huh:

Sandor is a wanted man for abandoning his post (I believe the punishment is death, just like the Night's Watch?) - he wants to keep his identity hidden - doubly so from somebody who is technically working for a Lannister.

I don't think the Elder Brother is anyone of significance. His story was put in there to give the perspective of the average knight in battle.

I'm 99% sure that the gravedigger is Sandor. My thinking is that he left the QI after Brienne. I'm hoping that the statement "a hound will die for you" does not come true though, :frown5: although I feel that's his fate. I could see Sandor and Brienne having some interesting conversations about being considered ugly and loving someone beautiful.

I agree with the relative insignificance of the EB character. I think that much of the detail about him was given to flesh out a back story for him to show that he has some sort of perspective on the larger world beyond just being a monk.

I think we may see the Elder Brother again, although he will not be largely significant. I am almost positive that Sandor is the gravedigger, and I am hopeful that he has left there by now to go fight in the trials of the faith.

I thought so too.

Sandor is a wanted man for abandoning his post (I believe the punishment is death, just like the Night's Watch?) - he wants to keep his identity hidden - doubly so from somebody who is technically working for a Lannister.

I can't believe I didn't think of that. Of course that's what it is. :3

With all the excitement I think they've forgotten the events at KIng's Landing. "The Hound"'s depradations (Rorge in Sandor's helmet) are a lot more pressing. Lem Yellowcloak now has the helmet, so they'd be chasing him, not Sandor.

And who would be able to arrest him? Lord Randyll Tarly is the only one with the testicular fortitude.

I doubt the eb is anyone significant. If you go with the gravedigger is sandor theory then the eb doesn't lie just tells the truth from a certain point of view. All very obi wan kenobi but would mean he'd have deliberately lied about his own back story if he was an important character. Personally I say sandor is staying put and it won't even be confirmed he's the gravedigger. We just have to take it on the massive hints that have been dropped.

I don't really care who the Elder Brother is as long as Sandor's alive. But why would he lie to Brienne and say Sandor was dead? :huh:

He didn't say Sandor was dead, he said that the Hound was dead.

I agree that it is possible that GRRM will never confirm that the gravedigger is Sandor and that we might never see or hear from Sandor, the EB or the QI ever again. I hope not, Sandor was one of my favourite characters and I would love him to show up in the Vale to end Littlefinger, or in KL to beat the shit out of Robert Strong.

He didn't say Sandor was dead, he said that the Hound was dead.

I agree that it is possible that GRRM will never confirm that the gravedigger is Sandor and that we might never see or hear from Sandor, the EB or the QI ever again. I hope not, Sandor was one of my favourite characters and I would love him to show up in the Vale to end Littlefinger, or in KL to beat the shit out of Robert Strong.

True. So that could just mean he's left behind his Hound persona.

I really hope we see him again. I like Sandor. :)

I'd much rather Sandor stay on the Quiet Isle. I think his story is done.. let the guy get some rest.

The only possibility is the the Elder Brother is Darry, although that has been discussed. I don't buy it. A Feast for Crows - specifically Brienne in the Riverlands - was all about the "Joe Nobody" fighting for their lord and I think the EB exemplifies that.

I'd much rather Sandor stay on the Quiet Isle. I think his story is done.. let the guy get some rest.

The only possibility is the the Elder Brother is Darry, although that has been discussed. I don't buy it. A Feast for Crows - specifically Brienne in the Riverlands - was all about the "Joe Nobody" fighting for their lord and I think the EB exemplifies that.

I think his story is far from done. As the Elder Brother states, the only thing that kept Sandor going was killing Gregor. Gregor is now dead, but undead - so who better to defeat Robert Strong than a redeemed Sandor?

I think his story is far from done. As the Elder Brother states, the only thing that kept Sandor going was killing Gregor. Gregor is now dead, but undead - so who better to defeat Robert Strong than a redeemed Sandor?

I really like this idea. It would be kind of like the stories of both men clashing with each other.

Sandor-a servant who did what he was told, yet still had some feeling within him fights against his brother Gregor who has become a monster, something that kind of reflects what he was in life...

Elder Brother couldn't have been a healer of the Old Gods as he was a knight. He has no reason to lie about his past to Brienne. The only Kingsguard at the Trident were Barristan the Bold, Ser Jonothor Darry and Prince Lewyn Martell.

Men of Aerys's KG don't sound like people who were alcoholics or rapers.

I think Sandor may have left the QI shortly after Brienne when he heard of her quest, or he may leave when he word gets out that Sansa is in the Vale and he goes to protect her from Cersei.

But one of Aerys' Kingsguard was a kingslayer so... :rolleyes:

Archived